The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-18-2022, 10:07 AM

Default The kid

The kid

So today I saw a boy about 11 in age playing in a yard. He brought out a batting tee, bat, and plastic ball. Took a couple of practice swings, then dribbled one down the line foul. He shook it off and stepped back up to the plate, glared at the imaginary pitcher and dared him to throw a strike.
He tensed, swung, and smacked the ball into the next yard. Throwing up his arms he trotted around the diamond only he could see. Stomping on home plate he celebrated a little more and then marched off to a dugout that I was starting to envision with him.
After a bit he marched back to home plate. Pointed at the pitcher and mouthed out a few words. No doubt these two were not friends.
He prepared for the pitch and as he started to step into it, he grabbed his upper arm and flung himself on the ground, face in the dirt and pounding the earth in agony. I guess the pitcher won that round.
After a few seconds he popped up, gathered his stuff and headed into the house.
I guess the game was over. I was so disappointed that I did not get it on video.
Now days when I ask a kid what they like to do with their time, too many say they game.
(Video gamers)
I doubt they have as much fun as that kid!
Old 05-18-2022, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whvick View Post
The kid

So today I saw a boy about 11 in age playing in a yard. He brought out a batting tee, bat, and plastic ball. Took a couple of practice swings, then dribbled one down the line foul. He shook it off and stepped back up to the plate, glared at the imaginary pitcher and dared him to throw a strike.
He tensed, swung, and smacked the ball into the next yard. Throwing up his arms he trotted around the diamond only he could see. Stomping on home plate he celebrated a little more and then marched off to a dugout that I was starting to envision with him.
After a bit he marched back to home plate. Pointed at the pitcher and mouthed out a few words. No doubt these two were not friends.
He prepared for the pitch and as he started to step into it, he grabbed his upper arm and flung himself on the ground, face in the dirt and pounding the earth in agony. I guess the pitcher won that round.
After a few seconds he popped up, gathered his stuff and headed into the house.
I guess the game was over. I was so disappointed that I did not get it on video.
Now days when I ask a kid what they like to do with their time, too many say they game.
(Video gamers)
Nice. Good kids play is more common than many think. Sports items sales reflect it, programs enrollment reflect it.

I can defend kids liking their video games just from the state of adults who like technology items too. The conversations here support that - remote gates on cars, fancy grills, and how many tune their guitars with a metal tuning fork for A 440?

Old 05-18-2022, 11:32 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Very nice. Thanks for sharing. To me, what stands out about this is imagination and the ability to entertain oneself with the simplest of materials. Modern kids can be so scheduled and directed that creating their own, independent play may not be as common as it once was. Jmo.
Old 05-18-2022, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

…love the story….no doubt it takes many of us back to our younger days when playing meant physical activity…often sports….
Old 05-18-2022, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

Took me back. My brothers and I would play a game we called "pickle" for hours on end. No batter or pitcher, and only 2 bases (maybe a rock or piece of slate), 2 infielders and a runner in between, whose mission was to try to advance to either base without getting tagged out. I'm not sure if we kept score in any way. It was like one continuous rundown. After dinner the neighborhood kids would come by, and we would make up co-ed teams and play until dark, mosquitos or the ice cream truck called a halt until the next day.
Old 05-18-2022, 04:21 PM

That brings up memories with me and a plastic ball and bat...in the backyard...in the World Series
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 05-18-2022, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Took me back. My brothers and I would play a game we called "pickle" for hours on end. No batter or pitcher, and only 2 bases (maybe a rock or piece of slate), 2 infielders and a runner in between, whose mission was to try to advance to either base without getting tagged out. I'm not sure if we kept score in any way. It was like one continuous rundown. After dinner the neighborhood kids would come by, and we would make up co-ed teams and play until dark, mosquitos or the ice cream truck called a halt until the next day.
We did that. We just called it 'running bases.'
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 05-19-2022, 05:09 AM

That kid grew up to become a man.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 05-19-2022, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whvick View Post
The kid
(Video gamers)
Don't doubt it. Just because it's not as physically active the gaming scene is huge and kids really love it (some adults too). I think the big difference here is that this kid had a great imagination and that is what seems to be lacking in many of the gamer kids I speak with.
Old 05-19-2022, 02:05 PM
Musical minimalist

I think if I had stumbled upon that scene, I'd have got out and thrown him a few pitches!

So nice to see kids actually being kids.

Old 05-19-2022, 03:37 PM

We played rolly bat. Batter hits and lays the bat in front of the plate. Fielders throw the ball in and try to hit the bat. Lots of fun.

That story is cool and I'm going to watch Sand Lot tonight. Love it when Squints kisses Wendy Peffercorn.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic