The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-18-2022, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

That was lovely Jayne.

She still sounds so good!

- Glenn
Old 05-18-2022, 11:34 AM

This past winter I played a song I wrote about my daughter and a woman sitting in from me started continuously crying. Afterwards I went up to her from the stage and asked if she was okay and she told me she was uncontrollably crying because the song touched her so much. I spoke with her a few minutes about why and learned about some things she was going through in her life. She was very embarrassed about how much the song impacted her and I was totally blown away by how it did that. I can’t really comment more on that, but it was an absolute amazing experience to witness the power of a song touching someone. Art is amazing how it can do things like that was my take away from it.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff
Old 05-18-2022, 11:40 AM

I am not easy on tears, but Evangeline, a French song from New-Brunswick province of eastern Canada, really is hard : It is the story of a loved guy, Gabriel, deported as a Cajun and found again by his sore girlfriend when he is a dying old man. I do have tears in my eyes right now. Sorry.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GPb3cXXFtz8
Old 05-18-2022, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfspencer View Post
I guess it's because I spent 37 years in the Army . . . . Dire Straits - "Brothers In Arms"
"Brothers in Arms" gets to me, too. I have tried to work out acoustic arrangements to that song where I also sing, and I just cannot get through it. I've given up on that song, great as I think it is.

- Glenn
Old 05-18-2022, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuestionMark View Post
This past winter I played a song I wrote about my daughter and a woman sitting in from me started continuously crying. Afterwards I went up to her from the stage and asked if she was okay and she told me she was uncontrollably crying because the song touched her so much. I spoke with her a few minutes about why and learned about some things she was going through in her life. She was very embarrassed about how much the song impacted her and I was totally blown away by how it did that. I can’t really comment more on that, but it was an absolute amazing experience to witness the power of a song touching someone. Art is amazing how it can do things like that was my take away from it.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff
One of my mentors reminded me of this as I struggled with stage fright years ago. She said: "Remember that there is always someone in the audience who needs to hear what you have to say." And, over the years I have found that to be true. Thanks for sharing your story.

Best,
Jayne
Old 05-18-2022, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
"Brothers in Arms" gets to me, too. I have tried to work out acoustic arrangements to that song where I also sing, and I just cannot get through it. I've given up on that song, great as I think it is.

- Glenn
Thanks for reminding me of this song, Glenn. Totally gets me, too.

Best,
Jayne
Old 05-18-2022, 11:58 AM

I was very close to my dad, and every time I hear Alan Jackson’s “When Daddy let me Drive” I tear up a bit.

As a singer, “Prayer to St. Peter” by Edwin McCain tugs at the heartstrings.
It kills me a little bit too as a veteran.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 05-18-2022, 12:06 PM

While I would like to be able to perform it publicly, I cannot make it through Steve Goodman’s, “My Old Man” without choking up.
Old 05-18-2022, 12:14 PM

There are a lot of great emotional song here. Here are a few more that seem to get to me.

Send in the Clowns by Judy Collins
Is That All There Is by Peggy Lee
Old Wild Men by 10cc
Love At The 5 and Dime by Nancy Griffith
There are so many
Old 05-18-2022, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I was listening just yesterday through external speakers to Dan Fogelberg's "The Leader of the Band." By the time it was over my wife came in with tears running down her face to give me a hug.

I find that this song strikes a sad chord not only because of the inevitable conflicts between fathers and sons and how hard it is to express love in this relationship, but also because of Dan Fogelberg's relatively early death.

Dan Fogelberg has said that this was perhaps his most important song and that nothing was left unsaid.

- Glenn
That's a good one. Great song, and a total tearjerker.
| 1968 Martin D-28 | 1949 Gibson J-45 | 1955 Gibson LG-2 | Santa Cruz 000 Cocobolo / Italian Spruce | Martin D-18 1939 Authentic Aged | Martin Gruhn Guitars Custom D-21 Adi/Madi | Gibson J-45 | Fender American Elite Telecaster | Fender American Standard Stratocaster | Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson Les Paul Studio | PRS Custom 24 10-Top | Gibson Les Paul 1960 Reissue (R0) |
Old 05-18-2022, 12:34 PM

For classic songs, I vote Hank Williams, "I'm so lonesome, I could cry"

John Prine is a master of these emotional tear jerking style songs, your personal choice really.

But my personal favorites are Blaze Foley with "If I could only fly" and Clay pigeons". Blaze had a tough life and his music reflects the pain he lived.
Old 05-18-2022, 12:34 PM

Prine. Far From Me

https://youtu.be/_ujOTP8oPpY

AMI-Guitars Left Handed DMC-1STEL 1

Recording King Dirty 30s Series 7 Parlor
Old 05-18-2022, 12:53 PM

“Thinking of a Place” by War on Drugs. Reminds me of my late parents I lost 5 years ago. Knocks me sideways every time.
Old 05-18-2022, 01:22 PM

Someone already said Sam Stone, so I'll go with one that always gets to me because I've known too many Lillians in my life (both male and female).

Emmylou Harris - Red Dirt Girl

Old 05-18-2022, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

Although I do not play The Dutchman, these always get me….

Souvenirs
Hello In There
Sam Stone
The Dutchman
Streets of London

Collings ~ Taylor ~ Martin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion