The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-16-2022, 07:23 AM

Default Bought a multi FX unit

I don't currently own any pedals. I just bought a Zoom G3n multi effects unit off of Amazon. Should arrive tomorrow.

Mostly I bought it because I want to experiment with the Looper. It also has a drum machine feature, so I figure I'll select a beat from the drum machine and then lay down some 12 bar blues over that. It has an Octave, so I'll use that drop my pitch down an octave and then layer a bass line over my chord progression. Then while all that is playing I'll kick on some Overdrive and do my best BB King impression.

"The thrill is gone, baby..."

I figure I'll do the exact same thing with my acoustic guitar, but instead of Overdrive I'll use Compression & Chorus.

Amp has Reverb.

Does what I said make sense? Is this how you guys use your pedals?

Are there other things I could/should be doing?
Eastman MD-514 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Kentucky KM-250 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Old 05-16-2022, 08:29 AM

The looper will make your electric playing much more enjoyable. I spend probably an hour a day just playing leads over loops I've created. As far as pedals go, other than an expression pedal I don't use any since I bought the Katana 100.
Old 05-16-2022, 09:16 AM

Does the Katana have a built in Looper?

What's your take on, for lack of a better term, lick dictionaries?
Old 05-16-2022, 09:29 AM

The Katana does not have a built in looper. I have a few order models, but am currently using a Boss RC5. I think if you've never really solo'd before or are just tired of pentatonic solos that "lick dictionaries" could be helpful for sure. If nothing else they can expand on just using scales to play lead.
Old 05-16-2022, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on your new Zoom multi-effects using coming your way. You'll have fun!

Regarding how people use these things, that can vary from person to person.

I have a Roland Boss ME-70. I have never used the looper in my unit, but I should. It seems like it would be fun.

- Glenn
Old 05-16-2022, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Congrats on your new Zoom multi-effects using coming your way. You'll have fun!

Regarding how people use these things, that can vary from person to person.

I have a Roland Boss ME-70. I have never used the looper in my unit, but I should. It seems like it would be fun.

- Glenn
I can understand using the pedals to create a tone for when you're playing live, but when I practice I practice clean. I've just got it on my head that playing clean will make mistakes & bad habits more obvious, therefore easier to correct, and that if I can get a really good clean tone then my tone will be good when I add effects.

And the whole Looper/Octave/Drum Machine thing just seem MADE for 12 bar blues. It turns me noodling in my room into a four piece blues combo.
Old 05-16-2022, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phydaux View Post
I don't currently own any pedals. I just bought a Zoom G3n multi effects unit off of Amazon. Should arrive tomorrow.

Mostly I bought it because I want to experiment with the Looper. It also has a drum machine feature, so I figure I'll select a beat from the drum machine and then lay down some 12 bar blues over that. It has an Octave, so I'll use that drop my pitch down an octave and then layer a bass line over my chord progression. Then while all that is playing I'll kick on some Overdrive and do my best BB King impression.

"The thrill is gone, baby..."

I figure I'll do the exact same thing with my acoustic guitar, but instead of Overdrive I'll use Compression & Chorus.

Amp has Reverb.

Does what I said make sense? Is this how you guys use your pedals?

Are there other things I could/should be doing?
I initially purchased one of the Zoom G1on multi-effects as a way to cheaply try out looping, since they sold new for $50.

The problem with loopers in multi-effects units is (1) the loop time is painfully too short, and (2) there is no multiple loop storage.

Your new G3n will have 80 seconds of loop time, enough to get a handle on looping, but you'll probably want more time and storage slots if you like looping. Unfortunately, 80 seconds is not enough time to construct a verse / chorus loop for 12 bar blues or much else. Folks who routinely use the looper built into multi-effects pedals are normally doing loops that are built on short phrases, which is another way that loopers can be utilized.

You might find my "How Do YOU Use A Looper?" topic of interest.
Old 05-16-2022, 01:32 PM

12 bars with 4 beats per bar is 48 beats. At a comfortable 88 beats per minute that痴 only ~34 seconds.

Now I get that I値l only be able to create one loop at a time, so if I want to go from mules in E to blues in A I値l need to make a new loop. I知 ok with that.
Old 05-16-2022, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phydaux View Post
12 bars with 4 beats per bar is 48 beats. At a comfortable 88 beats per minute that痴 only ~34 seconds.

Now I get that I値l only be able to create one loop at a time, so if I want to go from mules in E to blues in A I値l need to make a new loop. I知 ok with that.
I've only been playing for 55 years. Thirty-four seconds isn't any limit I'd personally want to work with, but that's just me.
Old 05-17-2022, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
I've only been playing for 55 years. Thirty-four seconds isn't any limit I'd personally want to work with, but that's just me.
All I'm saying is that it's enough for a simple 12 bar blues stanza, and right now that's all I'm interested in.

You HAVE put a bug in my ear, though. Perhaps down the line I can get a nice loop station. Being able to make several loops and save them all for later has a nice ring to it.

A decent loop station can go for $200. That's all my multi unit cost with all its built in FX. Considering I'm starting from nothing, I don't think that's too bad.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars