The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-05-2022, 08:54 AM
Guest 61722

Default Some thoughts on approaches to learning guitar

Like some folks here, this is my second time around learning guitar.

The first time, I did it in what I will call a "deductive" manner. I was taught a concept, then we did some exercises to illustrate or reinforce the concept. I was told to practice the concept and exercises. Then we moved on to the next concept, next exercises, etc. Theory was definitely driving.

I got so bored so fast, and also so frustrated because I was 17 and did not want to play Twinkle Twinkle Little Star or Wildwood Flower. I wanted to play Molly Hatchet Flirtin' With Disaster and similar. It was just taking too long to do anything fun. I could not connect what I was being taught to what I wanted to actually be able to play. I gave up quickly.

This time, I'm learning mostly on my own with some help from a friend. It's what I'm calling the "Song-a-palooza" approach.

I quickly taught myself the basic cowboy chords again, started working on the bar chords, the finger exercises, etc. and got right into learning how to play songs I love to listen to and sing. Thanks to an abundance of tutorials and lessons on YouTube, this is now a pretty viable way to learn. It's more of an "inductive" approach. I'm watching many different lessons or demos of how to play a particular song, mixing and matching the best of what I see, and what I like and what I can competently do at this point, and extrapolating the relevant theory from there. This approach feels more organic and intuitive, but most important, it's a heck of a lot more fun.

I didn't start learning guitar because I'm dying to know music theory. I picked up a guitar because I love music, want to play it, sing and have a good time. Of course, the risk with the Song-a-palooza approach is that there will likely be holes in my knowledge, but I figure I can fill them in as I fall into them. It's possible, even likely, that I am extrapolating the theory incorrectly, but if that's the case, I'll find out soon enough and can get some help.

I'm sure there are other approaches to learning guitar. I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts.
Old 05-05-2022, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

…yep the song-a-palooza approach is what I always recommend….learning songs that you want to play is the strongest motivation to keep at it that I know of…..if you have diverse taste in music that’s even better…..doorways seem to open automatically with this approach…

Last edited by J Patrick; 05-05-2022 at 09:20 AM.
Old 05-05-2022, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

I have been using Justin Guitar. A good mix of coherent linear learning with an emphasis on playing songs and usable technique.

Donations accepted, payed add ons, but free, so check it out.
Old 05-05-2022, 09:11 AM

Find songs within your grasp and play them.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 05-05-2022, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Sounds like you are on the right track, this is how folks have learned for a long time. YouTube makes it easier than dropping a needle or rewinding a tape.

I'm no teacher, just a hobby player who has been down the road you are on, so take this with a grain of salt.

There isn't all that much theory necessary for understanding the structure most folk, rock and blues tunes. A bit more for some pop, especially older stuff, and jazz is a whole 'nother thing. But for strumming and singing lots of tunes your basic I, IV, V will take you a long way, add in minor ii, iii and vi and you've got quite a repertoire. If you want to solo a bit it helps to understand how chords are constructed (intervals), but you can do quite well with just the major and minor pentatonic scales in one or 2 positions, especially if the tune is blues based and you can stay in the key of the I chord.

You can learn theory intuitively by learning songs, and then apply it to other songs. And pretty soon you realize that there are a limited number of choices for what will sound "good" as the next chord, and your ear/brain will send you to the right one, or let you know immediately if you chose correctly.

Sounds like you are having fun, which is always the main thing!
Old 05-05-2022, 09:16 AM
Guest 61722

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Sounds like you are on the right track, this is how folks have learned for a long time. YouTube makes it easier than dropping a needle or rewinding a tape.

I'm no teacher, just a hobby player who has been down the road you are on, so take this with a grain of salt.

There isn't all that much theory necessary for understanding the structure most folk, rock and blues tunes. A bit more for some pop, especially older stuff, and jazz is a whole 'nother thing. But for strumming and singing lots of tunes your basic I, IV, V will take you a long way, add in minor ii, iii and vi and you've got quite a repertoire. If you want to solo a bit it helps to understand how chords are constructed (intervals), but you can do quite well with just the major and minor pentatonic scales in one or 2 positions, especially if the tune is blues based and you can stay in the key of the I chord.

You can learn theory intuitively by learning songs, and then apply it to other songs. And pretty soon you realize that there are a limited number of choices for what will sound "good" as the next chord, and your ear/brain will send you to the right one, or let you know immediately if you chose correctly.

Sounds like you are having fun, which is always the main thing!
Exactly what I wanted to say, only said much better! Thanks.
Old 05-05-2022, 09:18 AM
Guest 61722

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamolay View Post
I have been using Justin Guitar. A good mix of coherent linear learning with an emphasis on playing songs and usable technique.

Donations accepted, payed add ons, but free, so check it out.
I have used some of his tutorials. I'm an equal opportunity Songapaloozist. :0)
Old 05-05-2022, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

I like the inductive "Song-a-palooza" approach. If you learn how to play songs that you like, you will be more likely to stick with guitar playing and improve your skills. You can always add more theory as you go along.
Gibson J-45 Standard
Breedlove Pursuit Concerto CE
Takamine F400S 12-string
Yamaha FG800
Citation CIT8000 "The Survivor"
Electrics:
Fender Standard Stratocaster (2004)
Old 05-05-2022, 09:21 AM

Song-a-palozza, particularly for the adult beginner, is absolutely the way to go.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 05-05-2022, 09:35 AM

Yep….I have a bicycle, but I have no thoughts of competing in the Tour De France.
I just like to ride it around….
Same with music. Just want to play some tunes well enough to think it sounds good. Kudos to those who strive to master the guitar, and there are times I wish I knew more about it, but I have other things that need done.
Music is not my life. My life is, well, my life, and music is something I do while living my life.
We are all living our lives together.
Old 05-05-2022, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

Just finished giving the first guitar lesson to a friend's 9 yr old daughter. I set up an old 3/4 classical for her to have. In her first hour she has got the shapes for 4 chords pretty much memorised (playing them cleanly will come later), can walk her fingers up and down each string, and she can thumb strum downbeats in time with me. Her parents can help her tune for the moment.

So, next week it is straight into playing songs for this little lady as I know that she is going to put hours of practice in between now and then. I've told her to find some that she may like to learn.

I think that there is a lot to be said for treating the guitar like a folk instrument. Not worrying too much about technique to start with but aiming for "performance" outcomes. And actually just have some fun playing.

When I taught myself to play guitar as a young teenager I learnt some cowboy chords and played songs that I liked. Now, 50 years later, I still play cowboy chords and songs that I like!!!

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 05-05-2022, 11:24 AM

You have to be motivated and to be motivated, it has to be fun

you're on the right path.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 05-05-2022, 11:42 AM

Default Well said…

Well said and totally agree. _RP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbigfly View Post
Yep….I have a bicycle, but I have no thoughts of competing in the Tour De France.
I just like to ride it around….
Same with music. Just want to play some tunes well enough to think it sounds good. Kudos to those who strive to master the guitar, and there are times I wish I knew more about it, but I have other things that need done.
Music is not my life. My life is, well, my life, and music is something I do while living my life.
We are all living our lives together.
Old 05-05-2022, 11:47 AM
Guest 61722

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
Just finished giving the first guitar lesson to a friend's 9 yr old daughter. I set up an old 3/4 classical for her to have. In her first hour she has got the shapes for 4 chords pretty much memorised (playing them cleanly will come later), can walk her fingers up and down each string, and she can thumb strum downbeats in time with me. Her parents can help her tune for the moment.

So, next week it is straight into playing songs for this little lady as I know that she is going to put hours of practice in between now and then. I've told her to find some that she may like to learn.

I think that there is a lot to be said for treating the guitar like a folk instrument. Not worrying too much about technique to start with but aiming for "performance" outcomes. And actually just have some fun playing.

When I taught myself to play guitar as a young teenager I learnt some cowboy chords and played songs that I liked. Now, 50 years later, I still play cowboy chords and songs that I like!!!
She is one lucky girl, starting at age 9. That young, everything pretty much feels and basically is effortless. In a few months, she'll be showing you some new things.
Old 05-05-2022, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

Hi Janine,

I have always used your latest approach -- the song oriented approach -- to learning guitar. I am interested in theory only as it applies to the particular song I am learning. Then theory has instant applicability.

I am glad you are making progress. Good for you!

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write