The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-23-2022, 11:18 PM

Default bridge belly brace Cole Clarke FL 2

Hi,
I have not done much brace work, just a couple of easy short ones and quite a few re-glues of existing braces. I need some advice on what I'm doing next.

I have been gradually flattening a bridge belly of a FL2 for 3 months now using a strap clamp and controlled humidity. Neck projection over the 5/16" thick bridge (shaved down sometime in its past) was 2 mm under before I started and is now nearly 2mm over with reduced clamp tension. No string tension in these measurements at this stage, as the bridge is only screwed down flush through the 2 outermost pin holes for neck projection progress under the strap clamp.

I want to add a brace behind the (new) bridge plate to hopefully hold the neck projection as it is or even a little more overset, as the new bridge is 3/8" thick and Im not sure how well the new brace will hold the current bodytop flatness.

So, this new brace I propose will run parallel to the bridgeplate , be scalloped to bridge over the aluminuim flat bar pickup on the bass side of the top and then be butt glued to the cross brace on that side. On the treble side, the brace would continue parallel to the bridge plate until it meets the other side cross brace and be butt glued.

If this all sounds OK or at least on the right track, these are my questions:

1. Should the brace be in fact, parallel to the bridgeplate ?

2. If "yes", should the brace bear against the rear of the bridge plate or be
positioned x millimeters from it?

3. Should the ends of the brace be butt glued against the cross braces
once the ends of the new brace are cut to a mating angle ?

4. If "yes" should the glued ends be reinforced with glued gun patches? ,
(and perhaps the entire length of the brace too)

I don't know what I don't know, so if this brace is going to work in keeping the top flat ("ish"), I need to do it right the first time.

Many thanks for any advice you can give me !
Old 05-05-2022, 02:29 PM

Im replying to my own thread. I have got it mostly sorted via continuing research.
If anyone also needs to know these outcomes, you're welcome to private message me.
Cheers.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair