The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-18-2022, 12:08 PM

Default Fingering G with pinkie

I’m doing a exercise from Solo Guitar Playing by Frederick Noad. With the suggested fingering for one measure is the 2nd finger 2nd fret, 5 string, 3rd finger third fret 6 string and then 4th finger(pinky) 3rd fret 1st string. The measure plays 1st and 5th string together, than 6th string and then 5th string.

I’ve have always played the G chord with the 1,2 and 3 strings. Trying to play the G chord with the pinky, makes my rd finger lean and mutes the 5th string when I place the pinky on the 1st string.

Some say if you strum a G, muting the 5th string is ok but of course you can’t mute the 5th string if you are playing finger styling.

I’ve tried the number of things.
1. Maker sure thumb is lower on the back of the neck
2. Neck is above shoulder
3. Guitar is parallel with the fretboard is not visible from this position
4. Try to arch finger tips as much as much as possible and on the finger tips

I tend to have certain fat fingers. So do I need to put the fingers on diet and stretch them?[emoji846]
Taylor 562CE
Taylor 214CE DLX
Amalio Burguet Vanessa
Fender Player Stratocaster HSS Plus
Timberline T60HGpc
Kolaloha KTM-000 with MiSi
SunnAudio MS-2
Digital Piano Yamaha P515
Grand Piano Yamaha C3
DPA 4488
Old 04-18-2022, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

You will often run across cases where the pinky needs to fret the first string in a G chord.

See "Bluegrass G" thread below for example
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=640326

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 04-18-2022, 12:29 PM

In classical guitar much depends on what came before and what comes after. Sometimes a finger needs to be in a certain place because it needs to play that same note, or one nearby, in the next beat or two. That fingering of the good old G chord is indeed a stretch for the fingers, particularly on a classical width fretboard. You could see if first finger on the B (fifth string second fret) and second finger on the low G is easier and more workable. But you may equally find that Mr Noad has something in mind for the first finger that makes his fingering important. Without seeing the notation for the piece, that's all I got...

Edit:Just saw this: "The measure plays 1st and 5th string together, then 6th string and then 5th string." I would, if that was all I had, play that with second finger on the B (fifth string) and fourth finger on the high G, and play that two note chord, keeping in mind that at that point you don't need to have your finger on the low G) and then (presuming the high G doesn't need to sustain) take my fourth finger off that high G, let it mute out, and play the next two notes with my third and second fingers. It all depends on how long each note needs to ring out for
Old 04-18-2022, 12:52 PM

@tbirdman— think of how you hold your hand when playing a C major chord and that’s very close to the positioning you need for a G major chord with the pinky on the G (first string third fret) … here, I mean physically positioned, with the thumb on the back of the neck and arch of the hand and fingers.

Anyway, that’s how I was taught since those chords go so often together this is the best position to change quickly and smoothly from one to the other.

Last edited by Aimelie; 04-18-2022 at 01:11 PM.
Old 04-18-2022, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

Hi, there is more than one way to fret a 1st position G

The shape you mention with the pinky on the 1st string is best if playing in the key of C when the G is the 5 chord.

Do what you find most convenient - as long as you have a G (or two) and a B (or two) and a D (or two) you're doing

Remember you only really need three notes to make a major chord - re first , the 3rd and the 5th.

n.b. if that makes no sense, it isn't your fault, but you might benefit from one-to-one guidance.
Old 04-18-2022, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdman View Post
.....the 2nd finger 2nd fret, 5 string, 3rd finger third fret 6 string and then 4th finger(pinky) 3rd fret 1st string.
This is how I've always played a first position G, though I also use my left pinky to cover the 3rd fret G on the high E string and the 3rd fret D on the B string simultaneously. It makes the most sense when playing in the key of C and switching from C to (non-barred) F to G and back to C. More efficient; greater economy of motion and better ergonomically. I do this flat picking and fingerstyle.

Quote:
I have always played the G chord with the 1,2 and 3 strings. Trying to play the G chord with the pinky, makes my 3rd finger lean and mutes the 5th string when I place the pinky on the 1st string.
The better you can keep your fretting hand wrist straight, elbow free (not tight against your left side) and fingertips perpendicular to the fretboard, the better this works.

Quote:
I've tried the number of things.
1. Maker sure thumb is lower on the back of the neck
2. Neck is above shoulder
3. Guitar is parallel with the fretboard is not visible from this position
4. Try to arch finger tips as much as much as possible and on the finger tips

I tend to have certain fat fingers. So do I need to put the fingers on diet and stretch them?[emoji846]
Besides what I mentioned above (fretting hand wrist straight, elbow free, fingertips perpendicular to the fretboard) you should look into finger exercises and stretches. Lots on YouTube.

Your ring finger and pinky aren't naturally independent. The pinky has to share tendons and attachment points in the hand. Exercise and practice help. Focus on moving the fingers (both hands) independently of each other.

Last edited by Mandobart; 04-18-2022 at 06:48 PM.
Old 04-20-2022, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
This is how I've always played a first position G, though I also use my left pinky to cover the 3rd fret G on the high E string and the 3rd fret D on the B string simultaneously. It makes the most sense when playing in the key of C and switching from C to (non-barred) F to G and back to C. More efficient; greater economy of motion and better ergonomically. I do this flat picking and fingerstyle.

The better you can keep your fretting hand wrist straight, elbow free (not tight against your left side) and fingertips perpendicular to the fretboard, the better this works.

Besides what I mentioned above (fretting hand wrist straight, elbow free, fingertips perpendicular to the fretboard) you should look into finger exercises and stretches. Lots on YouTube.

Your ring finger and pinky aren't naturally independent. The pinky has to share tendons and attachment points in the hand. Exercise and practice help. Focus on moving the fingers (both hands) independently of each other.
Looks like I need to exercises online to help ring finger and pinky to be movable independent. It's easier to use the fingering on a acoustic steel guitar as the fretboard is narrow than a classical fretboard. In fact I've been playing Freight Train playing a C and G7 with the pinky playing the melody on the 1st and 2nd string while finger both a C and G7 chord. The fingering with the pinky seems to be achievable on the steel string acoustic as opposed to impossible with the classical guitar.
Taylor 562CE
Taylor 214CE DLX
Amalio Burguet Vanessa
Fender Player Stratocaster HSS Plus
Timberline T60HGpc
Kolaloha KTM-000 with MiSi
SunnAudio MS-2
Digital Piano Yamaha P515
Grand Piano Yamaha C3
DPA 4488

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical