The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-23-2022, 07:54 AM

Default If you don't own one yet, this may be your last chance...

Memorial Day Sale on Korean Gretsch Electromatics @ MF:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...lectric-guitar

Old 05-24-2022, 05:22 AM

That's a pretty good deal on these excellent guitars.

Still gotta deal with the case issue, and if you've been shopping out cases lately, those prices are rising.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 05-24-2022, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
...Still gotta deal with the case issue, and if you've been shopping out cases lately, those prices are rising.
This one fits all but the 12-string, and it's a near-double for the Gretsch Custom Shop "Western" case (at three times the price) - got one for my 3-PU 5622 when I bought it in 2016, and it gives these instruments a real '50s vibe:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...dy-guitar-case
Old 05-24-2022, 07:07 AM

I like those Journey man cases. The Gator Deluxe brown cases are nice too

I've found however with those gator cases the only thing to watch out for is warped tops. Had that happen a few times. Beyond that, solid products

I went with the TKL Gretcsh case for my 5422TG which really is a perfect case for these guitars.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Guild F1512
Old 05-24-2022, 08:41 AM

Man, I should get one of those cool Gator cases for my G5622T. My beautiful orange stained 5622 deserves it.

I bought the guitar used and it came in a case with the Gretsch name on the outside, but it's a pretty cheap generic case that is really too deep for the 5622, as it is designed to fit anything from a hollow body to a semi-hollow. (I use some folded micro-fiber towels under the guitar to compensate for the excess depth.)
Old 05-24-2022, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPappy View Post
Man, I should get one of those cool Gator cases for my G5622T. My beautiful orange stained 5622 deserves it.

I bought the guitar used and it came in a case with the Gretsch name on the outside, but it's a pretty cheap generic case that is really too deep for the 5622, as it is designed to fit anything from a hollow body to a semi-hollow. (I use some folded micro-fiber towels under the guitar to compensate for the excess depth.)
GoPappy, is your case is a TKL case.

The Gretsch TKL cases are made in Canada, (at least mine is)

IMO the Canadian made TKL cases are top shelf.

I have both, Journeyman case for my uke and mando, they are decent cases, but the TKL Gretsch case is far better all around.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Guild F1512
Old 05-24-2022, 09:14 PM

Quote:
...I have both, Journeyman case for my uke and mando, they are decent cases, but the TKL Gretsch case is far better all around.
Depends which TKL Gretsch case we're talking about: the $200+ cases that come with the Professional Series guitars (not to mention the ultra-pricey '50s/60s reissue cases only available with Custom Shop instruments) are first-rate, but as GoPappy said the low-end flattop cases intended for the Streamliners and E-Matics are generic at best - IME I'd rather have one of the Gator cases for similar money...
Old 05-25-2022, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Depends which TKL Gretsch case we're talking about: the $200+ cases that come with the Professional Series guitars (not to mention the ultra-pricey '50s/60s reissue cases only available with Custom Shop instruments) are first-rate, but as GoPappy said the low-end flattop cases intended for the Streamliners and E-Matics are generic at best - IME I'd rather have one of the Gator cases for similar money...
ah yes, I know the difference.

My case is not the flat top varient,

this one
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...hardshell-case

The price has increased, from $160 for the one I have when I purchased in Jan of 2020 to $219+ now Thats quite a jump in price.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Guild F1512
Old 05-25-2022, 07:33 AM

Yes, my Gretsch case is a very generic case that has the "Gretsch" logo printed on the top. It's a very basic 3-latch case, and is made deep enough to fit hollow body guitars and flattops. In my estimation, it's a $100 case at best. The tweed case Steve posted would be a better quality case, not to mention much more handsome.
Old 05-25-2022, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPappy View Post
Yes, my Gretsch case is a very generic case that has the "Gretsch" logo printed on the top. It's a very basic 3-latch case, and is made deep enough to fit hollow body guitars and flattops. In my estimation, it's a $100 case at best. The tweed case Steve posted would be a better quality case, not to mention much more handsome.

yea, I get what your saying now, I almost bought one like that, but I held out for the Gretsch, which was backordered at the time.

And I think you'd like this one too, I originally bought one, but the top was warped so I returned it, if it wasn't for that I'd have kept this one, really nice case..
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...lectric-guitar

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Guild F1512
Old 05-25-2022, 09:55 AM

Quote:
...I think you'd like this one too, I originally bought one but the top was warped so I returned it, if it wasn't for that I'd have kept this one, really nice case..
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...lectric-guitar
Almost bought one for my goldtop/P-90 LP back in 2011, got a better deal from MandoBros on a top-line Guardian case w/built-in hygrometer - still might do one somewhere down the line, for the vintage vibe alone...
Old 05-25-2022, 12:10 PM

I want the jazz box WITHOUT the Bigsby.
Eastman MD-514 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Kentucky KM-250 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Old 05-25-2022, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phydaux View Post
I want the jazz box WITHOUT the Bigsby.
FWIW the Bigsby tailpiece is inextricably intertwined with Gretsch's 1955-1966 Brooklyn "Golden Era" - it was a given that, other than the base-model White Falcon and Country Club, all but the lowest-priced hollowbodies (Clipper, Anniversary) were so equipped, and the current family-owned Gretsch company wisely chose to follow this tradition on their midline Electromatic hollows/semis. That said, all is not lost - if you like the guitar (just about every player in my personal acquaintance - as well as a whole bunch of your AGF comrades - does, and I strongly suspect you'll be no different ) an extra $20, some basic hand tools, your favorite set of strings, and about an hour of your time can net you the hardtail Gretsch of your dreams:

https://www.angela.com/gretschelectr...tailpiece.aspx
Old 05-25-2022, 08:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
ah yes, I know the difference.

My case is not the flat top varient,

this one
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...hardshell-case

The price has increased, from $160 for the one I have when I purchased in Jan of 2020 to $219+ now Thats quite a jump in price.
These are a nice case. I have one too.
Old 05-26-2022, 07:30 AM

Steve, we got off on cases, but I went back to your links and started doing a little looking on the MF site. I ran across THIS, which is really tugging at my heart strings:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...itar/117961942

and this:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...itar/118018254

That model, which I know you have and love, is one that I really want to own some day. I love everything about it, including the color. But I have determined that I'm not going to buy any more guitars right now and I'm going to focus on becoming a better electric player instead of accumulating more gear.

If these guitars are really in excellent condition as described, and if the included case is a good one, either would be a good deal for someone at that price as I suspect this model will become harder to find. And if they ever bring it back into production, it will be MIC. That's a lot of guitar for the money.

As far as I know, this particular model was only made in Korea, so there's no worry about getting a MIC model. Is that correct?

Last edited by GoPappy; 05-26-2022 at 07:58 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars