The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-22-2022, 03:01 PM

Default Over-Practicing Makes Perfect: The brain can get by on less energy when you overlearn

"..Whenever we learn to make a new movement, Ahmed explains, we form and then update an internal model—a “sensorimotor map”—which our nervous system uses to predict our muscles’ motions and the resistance they will encounter. As that internal model is refined over time, we’re able to cut down on unnecessary movements and eliminate wasted energy.

Over the course of a practice session, the subjects in Ahmed’s study were becoming more efficient in their muscle activity. But that wasn’t the whole story. Energy expenditures continued to decrease even after the decline in muscle activity had stabilized. In fact, Ahmed and her coauthors report, this is when the greatest reductions in metabolic power were observed—during the very time when it looks to an observer, and to the participant herself, as if “nothing is happening.”

What’s going on here? Ahmed theorizes that even after participants had fine-tuned their muscle movements, the neural processes controlling the movements continued to grow more efficient. The brain uses up energy, too, and through overlearning it can get by on less. These gains in mental efficiency free up resources for other tasks: infusing the music you’re playing with greater emotion and passion, for example, or keeping closer track of your opponent’s moves on the other side of the tennis court. Less effort in one domain means more energy available to others.."

https://ideas.time.com/2013/08/20/do...over-practice/

I've found this idea to be true, at least for me. I'm a slow learner,
and didn't put in the time on technique when young that I should have.
What's been a pleasant surprise finding out that with good, attentive practice
I can still improve in some ways.
Old 05-22-2022, 03:32 PM
Charter Member

That's me exactly too!
I have found that once I learn a piece with the approriate fingering and rhythm, that almost inperceptively, I reach a point where things become cleaner and more efficient without my conscious involvement to find more efficiency...it just happens. Thanks for sharing this!!

Mark Hatcher Pina Parlor Torrified Maple/Cedar
Stephen Kinnaird 00 B&W Ebony/Engelmann Spruce
Simon Fay African Blackwood/Sinker Redwood
Wolfgang Jellinghaus Torres Modelo 43S Maple/Spruce
K Yairi CYTM Maple/Cedar
Old 05-22-2022, 04:22 PM

I hear you big time, canuck7. Wishing I'd had this calm and patient approach
to practice long ago, but here we are.. every good coach, it seems to me, emphasizes honing "basic" stuff. Maybe they know something..

Andre Agassi is/was a good example, I think: not really my favorite player, but
that guy could hit the ball the same way *every* time, if he wanted to. Solid, solid.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical