The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-14-2022, 12:54 PM

Question Gold foil sound hole pick-up

I have two questions about Gold foil soundhole pick-up that I would put on Epiphone EL-00 pro instead of piezo
-1- considering it is magnetic pick-up like single coil , what are the best string ? Example for Martin string the best is Lifespan, Marquis or Retro? Bronze or Phophore bronze?
-2 is possibile to have tone and volume pot ?
Thanks in advance for answer .
Old 05-14-2022, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido_59 View Post
I have two questions about Gold foil soundhole pick-up that I would put on Epiphone EL-00 pro instead of piezo
-1- considering it is magnetic pick-up like single coil , what are the best string ? Example for Martin string the best is Lifespan, Marquis or Retro? Bronze or Phophore bronze?
-2 is possibile to have tone and volume pot ?
Thanks in advance for answer .
Hi Guido_59, with a mag pickup like a gold foil, you'd probably do best with the nickel/copper Martin Retro strings.
Hope this helps.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 05-14-2022, 01:15 PM

Thanks jricc
I’m very curios to try retro string for its warm sound .
I haven’t played Monel string before.
I don’t like much brilliant string.
I’ll buy these!
None suggest for volume and tone pots ?
Old 05-14-2022, 02:23 PM

While one can install a tone pot on an acoustic guitar that is using a sound-hole mounted magnetic pickup, most people don't. And I haven't. So, no experience to share. Some magnetic pickups have integrated volume controls, some don't.

But....

You could try an external pre-amp box, the ones generally designed for other kinds of (not magnetic) acoustic guitar pickups. Volume and tone controls are usually present there. The level and impedance of your pickup may differ from that it's expecting, but if it sounds good, it is good.

Or

You can use tone and volume on the amplifier or PA if available.

You can use a foot-treadle volume pedal. Allows for volume swells while you're picking, a great "violin" like effect.

If it's just for the ability to mute your pickup, many use a "stomp box" floor mounted tuner pedal that mutes the pickup for that.

For tone: some PAs and amps have limited tone controls, but once again one can go the external pedal route and get a small graphic equalizer pedal which can do more than typical single tone pot like used on "regular" electric guitars.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 05-14-2022, 11:59 PM

These are good ideas ,thanks !
Old 05-18-2022, 11:53 PM

Can you help me to found this type of pick-up?
Victory pick-up, Recording king that have a good price seems are extremely rare and I haven’t found it on web
Old 05-19-2022, 06:20 AM

Just be aware that acoustic guitar soundhole magnetic pickups are designed for acoustic strings while electric guitar magnetic pickups are designed for steel strings.

This is important because with electric strings, both the cores and windings are magnetic, and get picked up by the pickup.

With acoustic strings, the bronze or 80/20 windings are not magnetic, and only the steel cores get picked up by the pickup. The wound G string in particular has a very skinny steel core.

Acoustic guitar soundhole pickups compensate for the low output of bronze wound strings. Electric guitar pickups installed on an acoustic guitar do not.

If you put an electric guitar pickup on an acoustic guitar, you’ll have to use steel electric guitar strings, and that will affect the acoustic sound of the instrument significantly.
Old 05-19-2022, 08:24 AM

Thanks for suggests
For volume initially use an old volume pedale and for tone and eq in front of amp in my Line6 Helix LT or in Line6 Helix Native software into daw.
Use of volume and tone control on guitar should be more useful.
String material is very important, infact I’m going to try Monel string .
Start Retro Martin while I’m waiting for Curt Mangan Monel string.
I do this considerng the guitar of 30’ ,40’ ecc when strings are made of monel
Epiphone EL-00 pro is made thinking to those guitar.
Old 05-19-2022, 03:13 PM

Your idea is valid: Monel acoustic strings work fine with "electric guitar pickups" I have Martin Retros on a cheap electric pickup full hollow-body right now.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 05-19-2022, 03:27 PM

Thanks to confirm my choice

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification