The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-18-2022, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

Default Do Wireless Guitar Transmitter/receivers Have Trouble With Electrics

A friend tried the wireless setup I use on my Fishman Sonitone-equipped Martins, and said it just couldn't handle his very loud aggressive style of electric bass-playing that's suitable for his band.

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Guit...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

I know we've discussed the difference between active and passive pickups on acoustic guitars, but don't know enough about humbuckers and all that to determine if he got a bum set, or if generically they're not up to the job. His guitar is just your typical legit Fender-style electric bass.

I am trying to get more detail from him on exactly what fell short.
Old 05-18-2022, 12:05 PM

Are you sure it's the wireless, and not the guitar itself picking up external room noise that's interfering with the signal that's getting "picked" up in the guitars pickup

I've never, not once, had anything like this happen. I've been using wireless transmitters for a long time and have like 4 different setups for wireless I use.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 05-18-2022, 01:58 PM

I use a wireless setup with my Tele, either thru a mixer or direct into my amp…
…no issues.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 05-18-2022, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

Thanks you two. I'll tell my buddy about the Tele.

Rmp, I'm not sure about anything And I need to get more info on what he thought was lacking, or a problem.
Old 05-18-2022, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
Thanks you two. I'll tell my buddy about the Tele.

Rmp, I'm not sure about anything And I need to get more info on what he thought was lacking, or a problem.
Chris, I'm guessing the guitar is picking up the ambient noise, and some how, for what ever reason, it's just being noticed.

A wireless transmitter is really like a guitar cable. It's not capable of picking up ambient noise.

the only thing that DOES interfere with wireless is WIFI networks in people's home. but most wireless units and I would think certainly the one you mentioned, have overcome that. if that was the issue, the signal would be dropping off and cutting out intermittently.

nothing like what you're mentioning.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Guild F1512
Old 05-18-2022, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
Chris, I'm guessing the guitar is picking up the ambient noise, and some how, for what ever reason, it's just being noticed.

A wireless transmitter is really like a guitar cable. It's not capable of picking up ambient noise.

the only thing that DOES interfere with wireless is WIFI networks in people's home. but most wireless units and I would think certainly the one you mentioned, have overcome that. if that was the issue, the signal would be dropping off and cutting out intermittently.

nothing like what you're mentioning.
Thanks for that extra detail. But of course he plays with a cable.... I guess you're saying the guitar picks up ambient noise, regardless of whether he's using the cable or wireless, but he noticed it with the wireless.

I can think of a psychological scenario or two where that could take place, just want to understand what you're suggesting
Old 05-19-2022, 04:20 AM

I use a wireless setup with my PRS with no problems.
Emerald X30 Woody
Traveler EG-1 Custom
Old 05-19-2022, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
Thanks for that extra detail. But of course he plays with a cable.... I guess you're saying the guitar picks up ambient noise, regardless of whether he's using the cable or wireless, but he noticed it with the wireless.

I can think of a psychological scenario or two where that could take place, just want to understand what you're suggesting
Right there should be no difference in how the wireless transmits/receives the signal from the guitar's output jack verses a standard guitar cable used to send the output from the guitar to the same amp/sound source.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Guild F1512
Old 05-19-2022, 08:32 AM

I use a Line6 G50 wireless unit for all my electrics - Fender, Gibson, PRS in a 9 piece Classic R&B/Motown/Blues Rock horn band. We play just around 100db as a group on stage. The second guitarist also goes wireless. We've never had any issues with extraneous noise from other sources, no dropouts from either unit on stage during a performance.
Old 05-19-2022, 09:07 AM

I was reading an article about the future of incandescent bulbs, which are back on the endangered list. The story mentioned that LED bulbs interfere with garage door opener signals so the incandescent bulbs should always be used there. I wonder if LED lighting might interfere with wireless systems as well?
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 05-19-2022, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

I greatly appreciate all the additional comments, which I'll share with my buddy. He loved the freedom the jacks provide, so I'll mention all the PRS, Gibson, Fender guitars and 100db and all the rest of it and see what we can see. Could be awhile before I get together with him, fyi.

Re LEDs, I've never heard about that being an issue with wireless but here, too, I'm not an expert.
Old 05-19-2022, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahitijack View Post
I was reading an article about the future of incandescent bulbs, which are back on the endangered list. The story mentioned that LED bulbs interfere with garage door opener signals so the incandescent bulbs should always be used there. I wonder if LED lighting might interfere with wireless systems as well?
That article greatly overstated the garage door / LED issue if that’s what it said. The transformer in cheap / unshielded LEDs can sometimes interfere with garage door openers but it’s easily avoided by buying decent LEDs. Generally anything with an FCC logo on the package will be fine…

That’s a different part of the spectrum than most guitar wireless systems I’ve looked at though. Cheap LED transformer leakage is down more in 30-300 MHz range
Old 05-29-2022, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

Default The thing that shouldn't happen, happened

I finally had a chance to test this issue with my own wireless setup at my friend's place, and there's a definitely a noticeable background hiss/high whine when the jacks are plugged in, not present with his cable. "High whine" is putting it a little too strongly, but that's the best I can do. So to be clear, it doesn't have anything to do with his "loud aggressive style" of playing, I got that wrong.

It's not something you could ever hear while they play, but it would drive me nuts too between songs.

Ibanez K5 five-string bass, Ampeg SVT-5 Pro bass amp head + Ampeg cabinet. The Ampeg is old kit as he pointed out but pretty decent quality from what I understand and, again, no problem with cable. Tube amp fwiw.

Mind you, this is in a rehearsal space with tons of gear and electronics including a complex, massive mixing board and stage-worthy amps and monitors and enough cabling for a new trans-Atlantic telegraph.

Just one of those weird things I guess. I've never noticed any issue with my Evolve 30m and Martins with Fishman Sonitone. Wanted to close the loop since I appreciate all the responses.
Old 05-31-2022, 07:05 AM

Line noise then..

Ok THAT is more understandable.

I'm using a line 6 G series, and it's dead quite.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Guild F1512
Old 05-31-2022, 07:10 AM

First thing I'd try is to see if there is an impedance mismatch between the receiver and amp. Try putting a non-true bypass stompbox in between the receiver and amp input.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification