The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 02-28-2022, 08:03 AM

Default Epi 335 Pro or Abanez AS53

Hi all, I'm looking to pickup a used semi hollow. I see two for sale nearby. One is an Epiphone 335 Pro for $400. The other is an Ibanez AS 53-TF for $250.

What are you thoughts on these guitars?

Thanks,
Old 02-28-2022, 08:56 AM

The Ibanez semis are great value for the money but the 53 is pretty much entry level. I think you may find the Epi 335 a step or two up in terms of quality.

Before anyone else shoots me down, I’m not knocking the Ibanez AS range - I was on track to buy one once (the 93) when my 335 Studio came up at a price I couldn’t say no to.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 02-28-2022, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieterh View Post
The Ibanez semis are great value for the money but the 53 is pretty much entry level. I think you may find the Epi 335 a step or two up in terms of quality.

Before anyone else shoots me down, I’m not knocking the Ibanez AS range - I was on track to buy one once (the 93) when my 335 Studio came up at a price I couldn’t say no to.
I agree completely. I'm generally more inclined to buy an Ibanez semi-hollow than an Epiphone, but that AS53 is as entry level as they get. It still wouldn't be a bad guitar, but if the Epiphone is a good sample, I'd be more likely to be happy with that. Once you get up into the 93 and 153 level of Ibanez, I'd be inclined to buy that. I've owned three Ibanez semi-hollows and one Epiphone (a 339 with P90s) - all were fine guitars...

-Ray
Old 02-28-2022, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeleMe View Post
...One is an Epiphone 335 Pro for $400. The other is an Ibanez AS 53-TF for $250...
For $50 more than the Epi you can have a brand-new Ibanez AS73 - better guitar than both IME...
Old 02-28-2022, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
For $50 more than the Epi you can have a brand-new Ibanez AS73 - better guitar than both IME...
I'll keep an eye out for an AS73. None for sale used around here. Found one for $400 on Reverb.
Old 03-01-2022, 07:12 PM

I was checking craigslist today and found an AK80-BS. I understand this one is a full hollow body. How does that affect the sound? What else can I expect to be different from a semi-hollow guitar? Thanks for the advice. These hollow bodies are new to me.

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/...451546333.html
Old 03-01-2022, 08:03 PM

Quote:
...I understand this one is a full-hollow body. How does that affect the sound? What else can I expect to be different from a semi-hollow guitar?...
If you're looking for a classic jazz tone something like this is your guitar - warm, woody, quick response under the pick (if you don't have a clean technique a deep-body archtop can be extremely unforgiving ), and less sustain than a semi-hollow (which has a solid center section inside the body) - although instruments of this type were also seen in the hands of the early postwar blues, R&R, R&B, and country players. IME you'll need to set it up somewhat more heavily than a semi-hollow or solidbody to get the most out of it - the whole raison d'etre of these guitars is that rich, punchy tone that you'll get nowhere else, and you'll need at least a set of 12's to drive the top sufficiently - but with a first-class pro setup you can get the action low enough to not only be comfortable for long periods and provide the tone you're after, but allow for not-too-radical string bends as well (FYI a hack all those fleet-fingered '50s jazzers and rockabilly cats knew and used to great advantage). While it can be used for certain classic-rock styles (think Steve Howe's ES-175 or Messrs. Stills and Young's matched Gretsch White Falcons) there's always the potential for feedback - and not the "good" kind - if you push the gain and/or you're standing in the wrong position with respect to your speaker[s]...

Simply put, if you're going to be using your instrument predominantly for edgier music and/or higher-volume situations a good semi-hollow can give you a similar sonic vibe without the drawbacks; conversely a fine hjollowbody is, in the words of an old Ibanez ad campaign, guitar royalty - and when used/treated accordingly its classy tone will instantly catch the ear of any guitarist regardless of style. My suggestion is to head to a reasonably well-stocked music store (even with the choked supply pipeline it shouldn't be too hard to find one in the Philly metro area) and A/B a couple of hollows/semis by the same maker (i.e. Ibanez with Ibanez, Epiphone with Epiphone, Gretsch with Gretsch, et al.) through the same clean amp to tune your ear, so to speak - I think you'll find it a revelation...
Old 03-01-2022, 08:10 PM

Wow! That really does explain what I was searching for. Since I'm coming from playing mostly my Tele and Strat, it sounds like I should stay with a semi hollow. That said, there are a couple shops around here and I'll take your advice to do some comparisons.

Thanks for your help as I explore another avenue.
Old 03-01-2022, 08:42 PM

Quote:
... Since I'm coming from playing mostly my Tele and Strat, it sounds like I should stay with a semi-hollow...
Not necessarily - since you already have the solidbody angle well-covered you might want to explore adding a totally different (and valuable) tone color to your stable, and a full-hollowbody equipped with P-90/DeArmond Dynasonic single-coils or mini-buckers can offer much of the familiar single-coil twang and chime, tempered and smoothed by the natural "woody" acoustic resonance; a highly-addictive sound BTW, and one that you might want to take into consideration in your search...
Old 03-02-2022, 11:31 AM

Something I would absolutely consider doing (because it's easy, has significant benefit, and is completely reversible) with a fully hollow guitar that needed a bit of high volume taming is pulling the bridge pickup out, installing a block or a couple of posts under the bridge, and putting it back together as a semi-fully-hollow guitar. Chet did that with a D'Angelico, per the old-wives-tales. You just fit them in finger tight with no strings, and string tension holds them in place, just like in a violin.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops