The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-04-2018, 07:46 AM

Default Yamaha F310 Fretting Flat

Hi. I have a Yamaha F310 8 years now and I've noticed that on the first few frets it seems to be fretting slightly flat. It's enough on the d and g strings to be noticeable when playing the 2 together. What could cause it to fret flat?

I've heard a lot fret sharp because of the nut being to high but I assume if it isn't buzzing then the nut isn't too low. Basically has anyone got any ideas of what would make it fret flat? The intonation is also a bit sharp at the 12th fret but I don't think much could be done about that.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:23 AM

How old are the strings? If the guitar consistently frets sharp in the first position, a too-high action is usually the first thing I would suspect. Fretting flat though? No idea other than what I suggested (old strings). If the guitar hasn't seen a decent setup since new I would treat it to one, along with some new strings.
D'Angelico Excel DC, Fret King Super 60SP.
Old 01-05-2018, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
How old are the strings? If the guitar consistently frets sharp in the first position, a too-high action is usually the first thing I would suspect. Fretting flat though? No idea other than what I suggested (old strings). If the guitar hasn't seen a decent setup since new I would treat it to one, along with some new strings.
Thanks for the reply. The strings are probably older than a year old now so I could do with a new set anyway. I just use light guage ones on it if that makes any difference. I have done the action and intonation myself on my electric guitars but on the acoustic you can't move the saddle to lengthen or shorten the strings. I can file it down though to lower the action if needed but I think the nut height itself seems ok. The nut was a bit too high and I filed them down. Not too much to cause any buzzing or anything. I'll try some new strings and see how it goes from there firstly.
Old 01-05-2018, 06:34 AM

Talking String me up please !!!

Brother put some new strings on that baby, and she will sing like brand new !!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
flat, sharp, yamaha