The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-06-2016, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
The Seagull headstock is not one of my favorites, but it doesn't appall me, either. I've owned several Seagulls, and still own one.

I think that "bright red maple leaf" hangtag might be in Canadian music stores only. I can't recall seeing it on Seagull guitars in American music stores.

Which makes sense, what with everyone in the US so alarmed about "the Canadian menace" and all.

Of course, I could be completely wrong, and those maple leaf hangtags ARE in American music stores, I've just haven't been paying attention...

whm
You're probably right Wade. I don't normally sell my baloney in the US but it is my favourite guitar forum.

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28
Old 08-06-2016, 06:27 PM
Charter Member

Old 08-06-2016, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I like traditional headstocks. I have a Seagull and although I play it often and don't normally think about it, the headstock on it is not my favorite.

Here you can find the true definition of ugly...

http://www.edroman.com/guitars/abstract/headstocks.htm
Some of those headstocks were hard to look at. The one I liked best was the traditional.

I like Gibson's headstock shape, with the symmetrical 3+3 tuners and the scroll cut on the top edge. Guild is pretty good also. Martin is the classic, and Yamaha and Alvarez seem to have taken that look as well.

What I don't like are Fender acoustics that have a 6 in line Stratocaster style HS. Ovation and Seagull. I understand why Seagull did that (straight string pull). Ovation has that weird little spoon bowl shaped thing at the end, probably to accentuate the fact that they are round backed guitars.
Old 08-07-2016, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasworker View Post
Big Seagull fan as well. It dosnt hurt that it likely stands out more than any mass produced guitar in the large box stores. The tapered headstock and the bright red maple leaf tag. Marketing genius of Mr. Godin.
I have to agree. I really like the Seagull headstock. Heck, I own three of them so it's a good thing I like them.

Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Old 08-08-2016, 12:56 AM

Larrivee (L-78 Presentation)
'05 Larrivée 0M-03 Custom (bear claw/hog), '13 Kronbauer TDK 285 MJ Custom (koa), '94 Froggy Bottom Custom (koa) dread', '08 Seagull Artist (EIR), '19 Gnome Blues Custom (EIR/T13? redwood), '78 S. Yairi 726 (hog), '84 K Yairi AR377, 1905 Vega parlor (hog), 60's Stella,'94 Saudi Tele', '79 Epi Genesis

"Your sound is in your hands ... ... more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." - SRV
Old 08-08-2016, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Dog View Post

Larrivee (L-78 Presentation)
What's behind that headstock? Almost looks like some sort of rocker cover.
Old 08-08-2016, 04:07 AM

http://inlayinnovations.com/inlay-artists/judy-threet/

IMHO Judy Threet's inlaid headstock designs were always among the very best and most elegant headstocks I have ever seen in any guitar.
Old 08-08-2016, 04:55 AM

Martin and the like. I have a Tacoma and I sawed the top off flat because I couldn't stand the look of it and it fell over once when I leaned it against the wall at a gig. That flat top has a practical application as well.
Old 08-08-2016, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Recard View Post
What's behind that headstock? Almost looks like some sort of rocker cover.
Wendy Larrivee (Jean's wife) did a bunch of inlays like that when they were a much smaller company. link to a bunch of pictures
Old 08-08-2016, 06:13 AM

Default headstock

I FAR prefer symmetrical headstocks and have often wondered if an asymmetrical one would keep me from buying a guitar that I would otherwise love. I suspect it would.

While most of the rest are perfectly acceptable, the plain old Martin squared off style is the best for me, especially if it is a slot head. I recognize that many builder and makers use their unique head stock design as sort of a logo, and that's OK. Just don't make it off-balanced and I'll probably be good.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:44 AM

I don't own one anymore, but I loved the headstock on my Furch. Shouldn't have sold that guitar!
A few Telecasters
Old 08-08-2016, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I like the shape of the Olsons/Ryans/Wingerts a lot and I like the haircut ones a whole bunch, too. The long slender paddle look, like Seagull and Traugott, is just not my aesthetic. I do like the proportion of Michael Bashkin's head stocks though. Generally, I tend to like some curves with my angles.

Also, as an aside, I have never cared for how Gibson has their posts aligned so the strings are almost touching after they pass over the nut and wind around the posts. I know it makes no difference tone-wise, but it has always bugged heck out of me. Go figure...

Best,
Jayne
Old 08-08-2016, 09:39 AM

I think the headstock on my Seagull Artist is real purdy ...

I also think Gibson's headstocks are very attractive, except for the 'banner' ones that have that rather silly 'Only a Gibson is good enough' emblazoned on some type of flag. I like the Larrivee 05 series and above, and love Wendy Larrivee's artistic designs. Martin headstocks are the epitome of boring, except for those on 42 and 45 series instruments.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:59 AM

I am a fan of the regular Martin headstock. It doesn't get much more simple than that. I think the Santa Cruz logo looks really nice on the squared off headstock as well.
Old 08-08-2016, 11:16 AM

Overall, my favorite headstock shape is this one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
1 7/8 nut, head stock designs, lj16, sa2200, yamaha