The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-15-2011, 06:14 AM

This is a great thread and great Saturday morning reading. Does anyone know if you can download and use the UnReal Book App for a Macbook? It says for iPad but this would be great for my Macbook.
Help anyone?
Sorry if I am a bit tech challenged.
davidc
Old 03-19-2013, 08:33 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raystrack View Post
I'd like to use my iPad to substitute set list and lyrics with a smaller, more flexible 'footprint'. Also as more apps become available it makes sense to use it live.

a. Anyone have any experience/tips to share?

b. Suggestions for a good holder and clamp for a mike stand or percussion stand (I have a spare Korg stand for a Wavedrum which is heavy and ideal but no way of attaching the iPad).
Hi Raystrack
i purchased an i pad and bought the app called "on song " this app downlods songs from the "Chordie" database and can be done while your at any gig with wi Fi i have downloaded hundreds of songs and they can be organized alphabetically or as set e.t.c. i also purchased the i pad holder sold through on song it is great it attaches to the mike stand and moves in almost every direction the i pad is held in on the corners with expandable arms.
Also i purchased the 4 pedal wireless blue tooth footpedal so that i can scroll up and down a song with a touch of a pedal one pedal scrolls down, one scrolls up and one pedal gives me a song listing and the last pedal scrolls up the song listing to move you to the next song in your set or list.
I have been using this for 6 months and every player that we encounter just can"t believe the system it is fantastic.
I am tring now to hook up a computer screen to act as a larger display face for bigger concerts something i can put on the ground.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:46 AM

Is anybody using iPad / iPhone for EQ and effects for live performance?

Taylor GS Mini mahogany/sapele with LR Baggs M80
Voyage Air VAOM-06 sitka/sapele with LR Baggs Anthem
Yamaha Guitalele black
Taylor T3/B honey burst
Fender American Stratocaster tobacco burst
G&L Fullerton Deluxe Legacy blonde

Gone but not forgotten..... ReviveMusicStore.com
Old 03-19-2013, 12:22 PM

Using OnSong on Ipad for Praise Band. Could not live without it. Can load most all songs we use through the Internet with chords. Can transpose in a flash. Has a guitar capo feature which allows me to play my guitar in one key and have the piano chords printed right next to the guitar chords. No longer multiple song sheets. Email set to church office for Sunday. Really very cool.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 03-19-2013, 02:16 PM

I am regularly using my iPad in Church so if you are a church musician worship leader this may be for you.

My church has a subscription to Planning center online .com. That website helps me coordinate all of the elements of a service, music, videos, sample mp3s that can be transposed to the key we're playing the song in. It also has a cool system for automated scheduling people and automated email communication. It also handles PDF, doc files for chord chart type of song arrangements. Anyone on your team can access the music and print their own part and rehearse with the streaming mp3. There is also an app called "Music Stand" for tablets. Charts are automatically imported to the app to be used on the fly. It has some other really cool features as well like an app to do all of it from your tablet or phone and a presentation app for your slide show that is all automated right from Planning Center. So yeah, I use an iKlip on my mic stand.

I know that was a different direction that the original post. Other than that I have used Onsong at school and can't wait to check out the other recommendations here.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 03-20-2013, 10:02 AM

I use OnSong with a K&M holder attached to my mic stand and a AirTurn wireless bluetooth pedal to turn pages on the screen of my iPad. Works great. You can upload songs through a variety of methods, including through iTunes, using DropBox, or directly from the Chordie.com website.

One advantage of OnSong, which may or may not be shared with similar competing apps, is the extensive and responsive support offered by the developer. If you ever have a question about how to accomplish something with the app, the devleoper is very quick to provide assistance through any one of several support mechanisms: http://onsongapp.com/support/

I like the K&M stand, which holds the iPad securely (it won't fall off if you bump it), and it allows for either portrait or landscape orientation. I don't keep my iPad in a case while using it; it travels in a heavily padded compact nylon case which is more shock-resistant than a hard shell, and I remove it to insert it in the K&M clip for stage use.

Using a iPad as your platform offers the significant advantage of extensive options in terms of apps and accessories like mic stand clamps. Other devices may work, but the universe of supporting tools will likely be much more limited, and there will be a smaller user base upon which to call for support and questions.

Last edited by GmanJeff; 03-20-2013 at 10:09 AM.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:56 PM

I recently started using an iPad for my setlists, using SetListMaker, and am really loving it. I have a few lyrics included in my sets but I try not to build up a reliance on it for that, but its scrolling lyric feature is darned cool. Anyway it's a great convenience and beats my former paper set lists -- easy to switch around at the last minute, great features, very well done. Cool little simple pivot-ball connector case set-up, too, attaching to my mic stand (cant recall the brand at the moment... On Stage, maybe?) Very handy, very cool!

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 03-20-2013, 02:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmanJeff View Post
...One advantage of OnSong, which may or may not be shared with similar competing apps, is the extensive and responsive support offered by the developer.
Hi Jeff...
Since this is a continuation of a two year old thread, it's time to update some of my previous info.

I own OnSong, my favorite UnRealBook, and the worst of the lot ForScore.

I don't need to transpose charts on the fly, do often need to have quick access to lists, and instant pop-up switching capability (to skip to another song).

All my 'paper' is converted to pdf format which UnrealBook uses, and both it and OnSong can be drag-n-drop loading when tethered.

And even though OnSong claims instant load and transpose from sources like Chordie Pro, I usually spend about 10-15 minutes reformatting a song so the features work on that song.

The developer of UnRealBook usually responds within less than an hour, and OnSong usually takes a day. I've interacted with both. ForScore - I'm waiting for answers I posed a year ago.

If I were part of a large music team who all used the same apps, and needed instrumental adaption, then OnSong might be the only solution. I'm not. I'm mostly a solo player or backing musician on stage, unless I'm leading worship, in which case I send my charts to everyone via email.

When speed and flexibility are primary, UnRealBook is fastest, simplest, and most powerful for pure list creation and access. When power features are necessary, the OnSong is getting there. They still need to change some things (which they keep telling me may be in version 2.0)

On Stage use…
I just use a little music stand which clips to my mic stand. I've owned three iPad versions (iPad, iPad 2k and iPad 3k), and they are all different sizes. Also, I have my iPad in an Otterbox protective case, and I'd have to dismantle it so it's naked to fit into 'clips'.

My clip on music stand will even hold actual 'paper' if someone hands me a sheet & there's no time to convert it to a file. And it holds other tablets as well.

If people buy any type of iPad 'clip,' it will likely not fit the new models of the iPads, so this is something to consider.

It's obvious that tablets are here to stay and developers are writing some great software for them. I'd not fear getting one and using it...been using mine for over 3 years now.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-20-2013, 03:59 PM

On Stage makes a great iPad system for connection to a regular mic. stand. Been using it for awhile. Comes with the black case which you can use off the stand.

I also use OnSong App. I like the fact that it will use regular PDF files from any source and search the web and find the songs you are looking for also. I find it very easy to edit the songs for the desired format if I need to use the enhanced functions of OnSong to change keys. Once a song is in the OnSong format, WOW... that is when the fun really begins and allows you to play with different singers, and for me, find the easier chords to play a song in. I found the other apps a little too limited. In terms of flexibility and function, OnSong has most of the others beat.

2007 GA8e Taylor
2005 ESM-10e Fender Ensenada
2005 850t Carvin Cobalt
Lots and Lots and Lots of Solid body Electrics
Old 03-20-2013, 05:19 PM

Yes, that's the one I have but I didn't care for the flap hanging off the back when it's being used (although it's a great place for a sign of some kind!) so I cut it off. Without that hanging there, it's a pretty hard-to-notice attachment. And of course it's simple as heck, with those two bars to connect. Works great for me... after I spray-painted mine black! Not sure why they'd make purple the only color!...

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 03-20-2013, 08:51 PM

Your joking about cutting the back off of the case..........right??????

That cover has prevented more flying liquid from hitting my iPad than I care to think of. On set breaks, that cover goes over the screen for protection. I like the fact that the case is a total separate entity. So I can still use my iPad at work and at play too.

Well.... what ever works.... as long as it works for you. That's the motto I live by, or at least try.

Brad
2007 GA8e Taylor
2005 ESM-10e Fender Ensenada
2005 850t Carvin Cobalt
Lots and Lots and Lots of Solid body Electrics
Old 03-20-2013, 11:16 PM

Used K&M before but I switched to the new OnStage ipad holder!

Agreed with... the flap is a bit unwieldy --- and yes --- why purple!

When I play with charts (Jazz gigs) the ipad is just so much smaller, stealthier and just plain quicker than my paper hauling bandmates :-)

Old 03-20-2013, 11:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Lee View Post
...the ipad is just so much smaller, stealthier and just plain quicker than my paper hauling bandmates
Hi Ivan

Shows up better on a dark stage too...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-21-2013, 08:11 AM

Default iPad or iPad Mini?

Are most of you who use iPads onstage working with the 9.7 inch display? Anyone using the mini, or is that too small?
Old 03-21-2013, 03:14 PM

I use the full-size iPad as the larger screen size helps me see content more easily.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification