The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-23-2014, 01:11 PM
.tom the übergeek

from the OnSong website

ADOBE PDF
Importing » Supported File Types » Adobe PDF
Adobe PDF files are commonly used as digital versions of paper documents. The PDF format faithfully reproduces the printed page. OnSong can view PDF files; vertically scrolling through multiple pages. OnSong expects each song to be contained in a single PDF file.

While PDF files maintain how a document should look, they can sacrifice meaningful text to do that. For instance, some PDF documents do not contain textural content, but rather shapes and images. While this may appear as text to the human eye, it can be very difficult to extract from the document. OnSong attempts to extract text from the document when converting to text. If sufficient text cannot be extracted, OnSong will upload the document to an optical character recognition service (OCR) that will attempt to read the document using computer algorithms. This can have varying results depending on the original document.

For more information about PDF files, please visit the Adobe website at http://www.adobe.com/pdf.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:39 PM

Well from reading how standardized pdf is it seems like this is the best way to go.

So let me walk this through.
I copy and paste a song from Ultimate Guitar Chords into WORD.
Make any corrections of chords and move them around if they're not in the right place.
Change font, font size, and color to my liking.
Import to DropBox (Should I still use DropBox?)
Import into OnSong.

And IF UnReal Book is easier to work with than OnSong..........................

Another feature of OnSong that I thought "might" come in handy (and don't think you can do with pdf files) is to show the words ONLY onto a screen for a congregation setting that scrolls or changes with what's happening on the iPad.

I need to go back and look into that feature as it could be one of the reasons why I've been insisting on not going with pdf. And it might be very possible I never use that feature but I think it could work in my present circumstances.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:45 PM

Initially I went the route of text files in OnSong so that I might make use of its parsing abilities (color, font size, etc). However, I now use pdf exclusively so that I can create a two-column format. That way I only have one song in my whole repertoire that needs more than one page.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:11 PM

To hold the iPad: Talent iMS-1. Also have an iRig bracket, which is good, too.
App: SetListMaker. The developer releases regular updates and takes suggestions.
'02 Taylor NS74
'13 Taylor GS8 12 string
'03 Martin 00-15
Old 01-30-2014, 11:08 PM

Getting the hang of OnSong a bit. Didn't think it would be so complicated.

I copy and paste say from UltimateGuitar.com into WORD. Change the font to Courier and check all the chords to see if they are right and make sure the changes are over the right words. I then save as a WORD document in case I need to make any other changes later. I re-open it and then hit Save As and save it as a plain text file. Open Dropbox and hit download and pick the "plain text file" from my saved documents. Open OnSong on my iPad and download it. Does not need to be "converted" because it all set already. Can use the options to change font, color chords, and change keys on the fly if needed when loading it this way as opposed to downloading a pdf.
If I need to change anything I go back to the original WORD document to make changes, delete the existing plain text file and re-save the new text file. Same with Dropbox. Delete and re-save. OnSong will do an update without deleting the existing file.

Really not as bad as it sounds once this is all figured out. (So I thought I would post it to let you all know) If anyone does this differently or easier please let me know.

On an better note, got my AirTurn today and this thing works GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't say enough about this. Small, lightweight and seems sturdy. This will really work out. Next step is still some kind of mount but I have a little time for now just throwing the iPad on a stand because I'm not playing anywhere right now and will give me a chance to load up the songs and get used to all of this.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:33 AM

Using the iPad app Safari, I copy the lyrics from Ultimate Guitar or whatever other website has the lyrics, then in OnSong, go to New Song and paste the lyrics. Then I use the OnSong insert chord feature which puts the chord symbols in brackets. Everything is done on the iPad.

Bob
Old 01-31-2014, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbob View Post
Using the iPad app Safari, I copy the lyrics from Ultimate Guitar or whatever other website has the lyrics, then in OnSong, go to New Song and paste the lyrics. Then I use the OnSong insert chord feature which puts the chord symbols in brackets. Everything is done on the iPad.

Bob
Inserting the chords inline and in the brackets would drive me crazy. Having the WORD document gives me a backup to print out right away if I need a printed copy or need to email an attachment to someone for any reason.

Thanks for your opinion on this!
Old 01-31-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoB/335 View Post
Inserting the chords inline and in the brackets would drive me crazy.
I know what you mean !

I've been using OnSong for several years. In the beginning I would copy and paste lyrics into Notepad on a PC, edit, save as a text file, then use iTunes to transfer the song to OnSong. Awhile back I started using the process in my previous post. In recent updates OnSong has simplified the chord insertion. OnSong will "learn" as you go what chords are in the song. The chords used will appear just above Q-W-E-R-T-Y letters on the iPad keyboard. Then I can move the cursor to the lyric point and touch the chord symbol and OnSongs inserts the chord including brackets.

Anyway, enjoy the OnSong app. I like it a lot.

Bob
Old 02-12-2014, 07:01 AM

Default Thanks guys

Just spent a little time reading the last 11 pages (again), thanks to all for supplying info and giving the rest of us the benefit of your experience, particularly ijguitar and BoB/335.
Isn't this forum great!
Hoping to convert all my paper songs to digital using ipad, Onsong, Onstage and Airturn based on what I have garnered here.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redpick View Post
Just spent a little time reading the last 11 pages (again), thanks to all for supplying info and giving the rest of us the benefit of your experience, particularly ijguitar and BoB/335.
Isn't this forum great!
Hoping to convert all my paper songs to digital using ipad, Onsong, Onstage and Airturn based on what I have garnered here.

I think I was more confused than any kind of help. I'm getting the hang of this whole thing and it will be great. Still getting songs loaded a little at a time when I have the chance. I used it for an Open Mic just so I could get the hang of it out there performing. Also had my looper and harmony pedal. Purposely picked a song to use them and the Air Turn and felt like I was doing a bit of tap dancing so I need to keep rehearsing at home with everything.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification