The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-03-2010, 08:41 AM

I have had the the QSC K8s since August. I have used them with excellent results for acoustic guitar, amplifying percussion, and voice, using a Mackie mixer and now an Alesis iMulitMix. They are excellent. Depending on the room, I sometimes have engaged the bass boost and WOW, great bottom on these things. I have had Mackie powered speakers before the BOSE arrived on the scene and I ditched the old setup and My Mackies were no comparison, IMHO. First of all, the lightweight package, portability and versatility as well as the excellent sound dispersion of the K8s wins hands down. No slight to Mackie, they are the standard to judge powered speakers since they are so widely used.
I have heard Doyle Dykes play through K8s and powered subs, and Vickie Genfan play through K10s and the sound was stellar. I recently attended a Taylor Road Show where the only speakers were K10s and the guitars were mic'd so the clinicians could switch to different guitars. Again, stellar sound. I personally did not find the difference between the K8 and its bigger brothers to be that noticeable for the kind of smaller to medium venues I am playing.

Now, saying all of that, I did not do a line by line comparison of their stats with the new Mackie 450s. I only know what I hear. Also, my regular setup is simply a SoloAmp and I use a K8 for extension and fill when needed. I also can set up the SA in the middle like a monitor behind me and run the K8s out to the wings. I love these things! I did an iPod DJ for a joint birthday party for my daughter and a friend in September and the QSC K8s more than filled a huge indoor soccer/athletic arena with great sound.
I would have no problem in a small venue, with a mixer and only 1 K8 on a stand. A great coffee house set up with excellent coverage of the tonal spectrum.
I primarily play T5s, and for those of you with T5 experience you know it is a different animal. The K8 captures the T5 tone very well. i also find my 614ce to be plug and play (ES onboard) as well.
So that is my real experience with the K8s and I hope that it may help.
No slight intended for Mackie users. I have heard 450s sound very good.
I simply prefer the portability and overall clarity of the K8. Ecxcellent headroom too.
Just too many cool tools out there, thank goodness.
davidc
Old 01-03-2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
For example, the Mackie SRM350v2, which has a 10-inch speaker, is down 3 dB at 83 Hz. I wouldn't want a speaker's bass response to begin to drop off above the low E of a guitar.
To complicate things -- at least for those who just laid down big bucks for the new Taylor baritone -- the frequency of a low B is 69.3.

Even more to think about.

geokie8
Old 01-03-2010, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokie8 View Post
To complicate things -- at least for those who just laid down big bucks for the new Taylor baritone -- the frequency of a low B is 69.3.

geokie8
Good point!

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 01-03-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokie8 View Post

geokie8
This should take care of that problem.

http://www.peavey.com/products/brows...0Subwoofer.cfm
Old 01-03-2010, 11:49 AM

Here are two systems that are down 3 dB at 57 Hz suggesting a bass response suited to the baritone Taylor. They currently cost $400 and $380 respectively.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/product...product=AG100D

http://www.carvinguitars.com/product...?product=LM12A
Old 01-03-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
Yes it is an assumption as indicated by my use of the word, probably, but it is based on experience with 10 inch speakers. For example, the Mackie SRM350v2, which has a 10-inch speaker, is down 3 dB at 83 Hz. I wouldn't want a speaker's bass response to begin to drop off above the low E of a guitar.
So why tell me its bad to assume the K10 wouldn't have more headroom than the BagAmp because I've never heard the K10, despite the fact I heard how loud the BagAmp could go? Since you have experience with powered 10" speakers you already know how loud they get. I've used my experience with other powered 10s to make my assumption and I've heard the BagAmp in full action, something you have not.

I was disappointed when I heard the SRM350V2s. Perhaps its because of the high F3 for a 10 incher. 83 Hz? That sounds very high. The JBL Eon 510 has a F3 of 70Hz which is what I would have expected out of a 10". But then again, the -10 dB point of the SRM350V2 is only 3 dB higher than the Eon 510 so the roll off on the SRM350V2 is not as steep (at least to where the -10 dB is).

Gordon
Old 01-03-2010, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonHLau View Post
So why tell me its bad to assume the K10 wouldn't have more headroom than the BagAmp because I've never heard the K10, despite the fact I heard how loud the BagAmp could go? Since you have experience with powered 10" speakers you already know how loud they get. I've used my experience with other powered 10s to make my assumption and I've heard the BagAmp in full action, something you have not.

I was disappointed when I heard the SRM350V2s. Perhaps its because of the high F3 for a 10 incher. 83 Hz? That sounds very high. The JBL Eon 510 has a F3 of 70Hz which is what I would have expected out of a 10". But then again, the -10 dB point of the SRM350V2 is only 3 dB higher than the Eon 510 so the roll off on the SRM350V2 is not as steep (at least to where the -10 dB is).

Gordon
I commend you on reading and interpreting the SRM350V2 specs! I noticed that too.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 01-03-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noiseboy View Post
Sven, I beg to differ with your view of the SRM-450's. These speakers have been pretty well regarded from inception, not due to marketing but to the fact that they were the first well behaved, decent sounding plastic box on the market.

I've heard of thermal issues with the early boxes, but in the years that I've been using my pair (purchased used from a rental company) I have had no issues whatsoever.

With regard to your assertion that "no one" thinks highly of the Mackies, I'll take that with a grain of salt. I know quite a folks who use them and value them for what they are.

I think they hold their own on sound quality, and are more than capable for acoustic acts in small venues. Are there better boxes in the marketplace? No doubt. Can they do a credible job? Absolutely.

Well like I said, Myself and many others think otherwise. Glad you like them though, as you should be happy with a product you use. I've gotten a decent sound out of them myself but a comparable Yorkville, QSC, EV, or JBL does a much better job representing Acoustic and most live music. The mackies are good DJ boxes though because of their pronounced bass. To each his own.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sventvkg View Post
hey spruce, i'm sorry man..If they sound good to you, then use em. I'm a HIGHLY experienced Engineer, both live and studio and know zillions in the industry both touring major artists and shows and local level and no one thinks highly of the mackies.,.yes they are popular because of good marketing and the pricepoint at the time they came out. To my ears they sound boomy and brittle..more of a DJ cab then a live music PA. My assessment is shared by many who's opinions I HIGHLY value as well, but YMMV.
Hi Sventvkg,

Thanks for setting me straight on my Mackie SRM450 speakers. Frankly, I don't know what I ever heard or saw in them! I now look at them as the junk they really are!

Okay, given that Mackie is the bottom-feeder brand of the portable-powered-speaker food chain, what would you recommend me or others buy as an excellent less-than-50 lbs portable-powered speaker? Being that you're a highly experienced engineer in live and studio sound or recording (you didn't specify which or what) it would be stupid for any of us to not hear what you have to say on the matter. Thanks for any personal choices you want to share with us!

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 01-03-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Hi Sventvkg,

Thanks for setting me straight on my Mackie SRM450 speakers. Frankly, I don't know what I ever heard or saw in them! I now look at them as the junk they really are!

Okay, given that Mackie is the bottom-feeder brand of the portable-powered-speaker food chain, what would you recommend me or others buy as an excellent less-than-50 lbs portable-powered speaker? Being that you're a highly experienced engineer in live and studio sound or recording (you didn't specify which or what) it would be stupid for any of us to not hear what you have to say on the matter. Thanks for any personal choices you want to share with us!

Regards,

SpruceTop

SpruceTop,

I wouldn't necessarily call the Mackies "junk". There's a lot of guys out there, who are getting fine performance out of those boxes,,,, as long as they're properly EQ'd etc. That said, I am not at all a Mackie fan. You couldn't sell me a piece of Mackir gear, but that point-of-view is totally related to the dependability, reliability issues, as well as the virtually non-existant after-sales service. A pro-sound guy, just can't afford to be out of commision for weeks or months, waiting for repairs, or, have a show come to a dead stop because of thermalling issues, etc.

I completely agree with the brands seventykg has recommended, in particular, the Yorkvilles and Ev's. I'm also quite certain the the QSC HPR series are excellent performers. The Yorkville boxes enjoy an enviable reputation for bullet-proof reliability, and after-sales service is stellar to say the least.

Bob
Old 01-03-2010, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby1note View Post
SpruceTop,

I wouldn't necessarily call the Mackies "junk". There's a lot of guys out there, who are getting fine performance out of those boxes,,,, as long as they're properly EQ'd etc. That said, I am not at all a Mackie fan. You couldn't sell me a piece of Mackie gear, but that point-of-view is totally related to the dependability, reliability issues, as well as the virtually non-existant after-sales service. A pro-sound guy, just can't afford to be out of commision for weeks or months, waiting for repairs, or, have a show come to a dead stop because of thermalling issues, etc.

I completely agree with the brands seventykg has recommended, in particular, the Yorkvilles and Ev's. I'm also quite certain the the QSC HPR series are excellent performers. The Yorkville boxes enjoy an enviable reputation for bullet-proof reliability, and after-sales service is stellar to say the least.

Bob
Hi Bobby1note,

Sventvkg more or less felt that Mackies suck, and he's highly experienced, therefore he must be right? Right?

I've had EV, Bose, JBL, Whirlwind, and Peavey loudspeakers in the past and they all performed well. None of them were the powered speakers that are a fairly new arrival to the market. I really like my Mackies and think their tone is really good although it seems some folks don't. On any given day, in a blindfold test, I contend many speaker critics wouldn't know what they were listening to if several brands were included in the test.

Regarding Mackie service, I have two Mackie DFX-12 mixing boards, one of which I bought for mixing a variety of recorded music sources and my mic for my Shady Grove Radio on-line radio station. The second one, I bought after buying my Mackie SRM450 speakers to complete a PA system. I thought the second board had a bit more power-supply hum in one channel compared to the other channel when listening up close to the loudspeakers. I sent an e-mail to Mackie and they sent the necessary print-out UPS labels back via e-mail for me to affix to the box and return it to them. They sent me another board that had the same hum characteristics as the first. Back it went. They sent me another board which was pretty much the same but I kept it because after listening to my first board that was used for my radio station, I realized this was the normal low-level hum for the board and that it is evident in any other brand of mixing board with an onboard power supply. It was me being an anal jerk about the whole matter. Mackie never said anything bad to me about my exchanges. They just kept sending me new boards. That ain't bad service in my book.

In my current inventory, I have two Mackie SRM450 Active speakers, two SRM150 Active small speakers, two Mackie DFX-12 Mixers, one Mackie 802-VLZ3 compact mixer. None of these devices has given me any problems and I feel Mackie will give me great service if I should require it. I guess you could say I'm a Mackoid.

Regards,

SpruceTop

P.S. Yorkville Rocks! After all it's a Canadian company so it has to be good stuff! I'm originally from Ottawa.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 01-03-2010 at 02:20 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Hi Bobby1note,

Sventvkg more or less felt that Mackies suck,

Most of the guys on the pro-sound forums share that same view. They're basically considered a consumer-model speaker.

On any given day, in a blindfold test, I contend many speaker critics wouldn't know what they were listening to if several brands were included in the test.

Truer words were never spoken.

Regarding Mackie service,

A buddy of mine runs a small music store, and they dropped the Mackie line. Service issues were causing the store too much grief, lost customers, etc. Glad to hear your experience was better.

In my current inventory, I have two Mackie SRM450 Active speakers, two SRM150 Active small speakers, two Mackie DFX-12 Mixers, one Mackie 802-VLZ3 compact mixer.

Why two DFX12's??? I'm too kind to tell you how those boards are percieved on the pro-sound forums. The "J" word used earlier, comes to mind.

I guess you could say I'm a Mackoid.

You have my sympathies.

Regards,

SpruceTop

P.S. Yorkville Rocks! After all it's a Canadian company so it has to be good stuff! I'm originally from Ottawa.
I'm a 90 minutes drive east of Ottawa. Great town.

Bob

Last edited by Bobby1note; 01-03-2010 at 03:32 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

Popularity rules in certain ways. What's popular gets discussed, purchased and used. Conversely, what's not popular gets discussed less, purchased less and used less.

I submit that popularity has no a priori link to quality. In other words, popularity does not necessarily mean quality.

For example, an unpopular powered speaker for the application discussed in this thread (acoustic guitar w/ or w/o vocals) is the Schertler Pub 280 (or its smaller sibling the Schertler Side). These are wonderful powered speakers.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:43 PM

I was just wondering why the EV SxA100 is never mentioned in these powered speaker wars.

http://www.electrovoice.com/products/209.html

I think EV has a pretty good rep, don't they?
Old 01-03-2010, 04:50 PM
Charter Member

I guess Mackie will be going out of business soon based on feedback from folks in the know. A saddened but now wiser SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification