The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-18-2009, 04:13 PM

Ok gang...

First of all I would like to thank you guys A TON for helping to shape and refine my decisions. I've learned alot and it's very much appreciated.

So here is my first move...

Anderson Hollow Drop Top Classic
Body Finish - Light Tiger Eye Burst with Binding
Body Wood - Flame Maple Top on Alder
Neck Wood - Hard Rock Maple, Rosewood Fretboard
Neck Finish - Matching Headstock, Satin Back
Nutwidth - 1 11/16 in
Frets - Low-Rise
Back Shape - Even Taper
Hardware - Chrome
Bridge - Vintage Tremolo
Pickguard - White Pearloid
Pickups - M1 M1 H2+
Switching - 5 Way, Add-Bridge, Kickback + VA Booster
Strings - .010-.046 Elixir strings
Comments - BFTS

Also made a move on the Keeleys....
- Compressor 4 Knob
- Time Machine Boost
- BD-2 PHAT Med

Still work to be done here....but at least I'm off the schnied (sp?)
Old 05-18-2009, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhbret View Post
I've been following this thread and have been thinking about going the opposite route - from many pedals to one multi effects pedal. So much easier for transport and setup etc. And easier to change patches on the fly than having to bend down and tweak. I play with a group that covers many different songs and styles and have been toying with the idea of one multi function pedal. Any ideas on a basic, good tone pedal? Thanks

David
After using the Boss GT-8 into an amp, I got passable tones... But nothing I'd call good.

I've heard the new GT-10, and it is definitely an improvement. I still give the nod to the POD XT Live as a wonderful all-in-one solution with lots of great effects built in. It's closer to the "amp and pedals" setups than any of the others, to my ears.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zb0430 View Post
After using the Boss GT-8 into an amp, I got passable tones... But nothing I'd call good.

I've heard the new GT-10, and it is definitely an improvement. I still give the nod to the POD XT Live as a wonderful all-in-one solution with lots of great effects built in. It's closer to the "amp and pedals" setups than any of the others, to my ears.
Agree. My GT-8 is pretty good, but not heart wrenching and emotionally evocative.

Pros:
Convenience - patches, tuner, pedal all built into one thing
Portability - small, light

Downside:
Pretty darn complicated. You really need to commit yourself to learning all the ins and out of these things to get what you want out of it. For instance, I would search around for a stock patch and then try and built off it to create that tone that I have in mind. More often than not it just became a very time consuming process that never yielded what I wanted out of it since each patch has so many things going into it.

Tones were ok, but not amazing (as discussed above). To be fair, if that genie was in there I just couldn't release it.

Since there are only so many presets and only 1 pedal, you really need to pick and choose because those things can't double duty.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:37 AM

Ended up pulling the trigger on a Goodsell 5/17 Limited Edition made with the Hammond stuff.

Can't wait!
Old 05-19-2009, 12:01 PM

Ok, I'm a bit late to the party on this last round of discussion. Glad you got an Anderson Drop Top Classic! Now there's a man with taste! I've had my DTC since '01 or so and custom ordered it. Great guitar! Lately, I've been using my Cobra more as it can get some nice thick Les Paul and Tele-ish tones. For a worship band setting these two guitars cover all my bases.

Congrats also on the Goodsell! I've owned the Super 7 Plus and a Super 17mkIII. Great amps with Great tone and Richard Goodsell is a great guy to deal with. He's been extremely flexible working with me and is top notch in customer service. Let me know if you need a good gig bag for it. I custom ordered a brown Studio Slips Clamshell with a shoulder strap and large pocket for my Super 17mkIII but have since sold the amp. It's in excellent condition. Pretty much the best gig bag you can get IMHO. Anyway, the Goodsell is a great amp for achieving quality mid gain tones at reasonable volumes. Right now I', m using a Bogner Duende and a Morgan Amplification MV23, both excellent amps.

As far as effects go, there are a few ways to go. I've had all in one effect units, rack mount devices, pedalboards with custom switching systems, etc. If you're looking at a good all in one unit but still want the flexibility of using your own pedals for overdrive then I highly recommend the TC Electronic G-system. Excellent studio quality effects and the flexibility to use your own pedals without tap dancing to get the pedals you want on and off.

If you're using individual pedals I'd consider this (from my own personal experience owning them):

Delay: Eventide Timefactor, TC Electronic Nova Delay
Chorus: TC Electronic SCF, Old Arion SCH-1 (made in Japan), Old Boss DC-2 (Dimension C), RetroSonic Chorus (didn't own this one)
Overdrives: Klon Centaur, Zvex Box of Rock (my favorite OD of all time), Xotic RC boost (for a low gain grit. I've had the BB and AC booster as well but like the RC the best.), Tim/Timmy, Landgraff Dynamic OD, Menatone Red Snapper, Matchless Dirt Box (better than the Hot Box IMHO), Hermida Mosferatu or Zendrive.
Compression: Barber Tone Press (has an awesome blend feature. Beats all others IMHO.), Keeley Compressor (had one but I much preferred the Barber.)

I'll give more info later. Got to run right now.
• Omega Legacy MJ02 (#116) in Birdseye Maple & Bearclaw Sitka
• Tom Anderson Cobra in Flame Maple on Mahogany
Old 05-19-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:

I had the POD XT Live and wasn't feeling it... Some "amp-like" patches but I'd much rather get my tones from a good amp and effects.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akivisuals View Post
Ok, I'm a bit late to the party on this last round of discussion. Glad you got an Anderson Drop Top Classic! Now there's a man with taste! I've had my DTC since '01 or so and custom ordered it. Great guitar! Lately, I've been using my Cobra more as it can get some nice thick Les Paul and Tele-ish tones. For a worship band setting these two guitars cover all my bases.

Congrats also on the Goodsell! I've owned the Super 7 Plus and a Super 17mkIII. Great amps with Great tone and Richard Goodsell is a great guy to deal with. He's been extremely flexible working with me and is top notch in customer service. Let me know if you need a good gig bag for it. I custom ordered a brown Studio Slips Clamshell with a shoulder strap and large pocket for my Super 17mkIII but have since sold the amp. It's in excellent condition. Pretty much the best gig bag you can get IMHO. Anyway, the Goodsell is a great amp for achieving quality mid gain tones at reasonable volumes. Right now I', m using a Bogner Duende and a Morgan Amplification MV23, both excellent amps.

As far as effects go, there are a few ways to go. I've had all in one effect units, rack mount devices, pedalboards with custom switching systems, etc. If you're looking at a good all in one unit but still want the flexibility of using your own pedals for overdrive then I highly recommend the TC Electronic G-system. Excellent studio quality effects and the flexibility to use your own pedals without tap dancing to get the pedals you want on and off.

If you're using individual pedals I'd consider this (from my own personal experience owning them):

Delay: Eventide Timefactor, TC Electronic Nova Delay
Chorus: TC Electronic SCF, Old Arion SCH-1 (made in Japan), Old Boss DC-2 (Dimension C), RetroSonic Chorus (didn't own this one)
Overdrives: Klon Centaur, Zvex Box of Rock (my favorite OD of all time), Xotic RC boost (for a low gain grit. I've had the BB and AC booster as well but like the RC the best.), Tim/Timmy, Landgraff Dynamic OD, Menatone Red Snapper, Matchless Dirt Box (better than the Hot Box IMHO), Hermida Mosferatu or Zendrive.
Compression: Barber Tone Press (has an awesome blend feature. Beats all others IMHO.), Keeley Compressor (had one but I much preferred the Barber.)

I'll give more info later. Got to run right now.
I've heard good things about the Duende as well.

Can you post pix of the case? Thanks!
Old 05-19-2009, 03:26 PM

Okay after reading the first page-and-a-half I jumped to the end to post. So disregard this. Enjoy your new setup.

Last edited by DenverSteve; 05-19-2009 at 03:49 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:47 PM

Really don't like Strats, volume control too close to strings. Rather have a tele or les paul.
Steve
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 05-20-2009, 02:48 PM

Anyone own a Trailer Trash and can comment vs. the Pedal Train?

http://www.trailertrashpedalboards.c...ies_scroll.htm
Old 05-20-2009, 03:23 PM

I've got a PedalTrain 2. It's ok. Lightweight and you can fit a Pedal Power 2 underneath it. I do not like the cheap cases they come with though. Mine is in a Pedalboard.com lightweight semi-hard case. Much better protection.

I haven't owned a Trailer Trash, but they're now mass produced I believe. The cases look very nice.

Another option for you might be Pumaman. He custom makes some nice boards. I was considering having a nice hardwood board custom made for me by a woodworker friend. He's built me a beautiful walnut and flame maple cab for a small combo I owned and did an excellent job at a reasonable cost. I designed the board myself but have yet to have it built since my recent layoff.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akivisuals View Post
I've got a PedalTrain 2. It's ok. Lightweight and you can fit a Pedal Power 2 underneath it. I do not like the cheap cases they come with though. Mine is in a Pedalboard.com lightweight semi-hard case. Much better protection.

I haven't owned a Trailer Trash, but they're now mass produced I believe. The cases look very nice.

Another option for you might be Pumaman. He custom makes some nice boards. I was considering having a nice hardwood board custom made for me by a woodworker friend. He's built me a beautiful walnut and flame maple cab for a small combo I owned and did an excellent job at a reasonable cost. I designed the board myself but have yet to have it built since my recent layoff.
Sorry to hear about the layoff bro.

I have seen the pumaboards and they look sweet (especially the red one with the white lettering - very retro coca cola)! One advantage of the Trailer Trash vs. Puma is that Trailer does the wiring too (I'm going to power it up with the PedalPower2+). Doesn't seem like Mr. Puma wants to mess with that. HOWEVER, I LOVE the look of the Puma boards, especially with the stripes...

Aki - I THINK I heard him right, but he has a way so you can just plug in the pedal power 2+ right with the power cord? If that's the case I'll probably get a Pumaboard.

Last edited by 690MBCOMMANDO; 05-20-2009 at 08:22 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:23 PM

Zion guitars are worth a look. Not too common, but a pretty cool company.

http://www.zionguitars.com/
Old 05-20-2009, 11:13 PM

An amp you must check out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abpt5AZqHg0

Gabriel Voxer 33

You CAN use the channels together with a device that lets you switch polarity on channel two, such as the recommended ToneBone SwitchBone.

I'm really considering selling my Bad Cat Hot Cat 30R for this amp, after playing it for quite some time... It's a wonderful sound for worship sets, if you do a lot of modern, contemporary work that needs some guitar with crunch, and an amp that takes pedals well.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
An amp you must check out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abpt5AZqHg0

Gabriel Voxer 33

You CAN use the channels together with a device that lets you switch polarity on channel two, such as the recommended ToneBone SwitchBone.

I'm really considering selling my Bad Cat Hot Cat 30R for this amp, after playing it for quite some time... It's a wonderful sound for worship sets, if you do a lot of modern, contemporary work that needs some guitar with crunch, and an amp that takes pedals well.
Very cool! Thanks for sharing and will keep in mind for the future.

Here are some pix of the Goodsell for those tone freak/amp snobs out there ...(the Limited Editions, this one being #17 is all tube with the original Hammond chassis and transformer from 40-50 years ago as opposed to the Super 17's which have reverb - (arg - mine doesn't!) and are solid state). Can't go wrong either way though as they are the cat's meow according to a number of dealers that I have spoken with who carry many of the high end lines)....oh yeah and that's a 70th anniv. Celestion on there.

I'm leaning on doing this pumaboard...

May go well with this...

And something like this....

Anyone tried the T-Rex Room-Mate reverb pedal?

Last edited by 690MBCOMMANDO; 05-29-2009 at 05:29 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification