The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-28-2017, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
I hear ya Troggg - I have only had the unit for a short period of time..
But as others.. I try to minimize my "gear" and cables and stage clutter. So yes the bracket helps to clean things up.

However, In general, to me a mixer is set and forget... (except when necessary for tweaking) or plugging in a guest etc.

Now with my limited experience with the T1... I don't believe it was intended as a Live switching "effects" unit .. What I mean by that, it doesn't have foot switch or even an easy to use presets (scenes).

I picture using the scenes using for different situations or venues... Like tonight I'm outside on the patio or next time I am in the large room. Here's a scene ready for my Duo.

I have to say, My Play acoustic with the Switch 6 covers a lot of ground....

LASTLY, don't get me wrong..... The T1 is amazing on it's own. The effects and EQ and ToneMatch, scenes... Lot to love.

It really is "icing" on the already tasty cake.
Thanks for your valuable input. Don't want to repeat what I asked previously about how hard it is to switch scenes ... but if a T1 owner could list the actual steps, that would be helpful as I don't presently own a T1 and may want to go in another direction that allows switching "scenes" easier.

So, you walk over to your T1, or you hover over the T1 on your table or mic stand, and you 1) 2) 3) etc
Old 11-28-2017, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggg View Post
Thanks for your valuable input. Don't want to repeat what I asked previously about how hard it is to switch scenes ... but if a T1 owner could list the actual steps, that would be helpful as I don't presently own a T1 and may want to go in another direction that allows switching "scenes" easier.

So, you walk over to your T1, or you hover over the T1 on your table or mic stand, and you 1) 2) 3) etc
Sure thing.

Creating, switching and loading scenes.

This should help shed the light on the subject

http://toonz.ca/bose/wiki/index.php?...ngine_/_Scenes
Old 11-28-2017, 07:59 PM
Charter Member

I'd like to thank everyone for so many awesome posts on this thread. The latest ones add so much, audio, photos and all, amazing.

It strikes me that the original topic of this thread was L1 Compact V. SA330x, and it's been multiple pages since the latter was even mentioned. I'm wondering if anyone reading this thread has any recent experience with the Fishman.

(Not criticism btw! The latest posts, audio and resulting discussion prompted me to take a closer look at the Bose L1's above the Compact level.)
Old 11-29-2017, 12:21 AM

Posting removed due to lack of interest...
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212

Last edited by Nama Ensou; 11-30-2017 at 03:49 AM.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:01 AM

Posting removed due to lack of interest...
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212

Last edited by Nama Ensou; 11-30-2017 at 03:48 AM.
Old 11-29-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
I'd like to thank everyone for so many awesome posts on this thread. The latest ones add so much, audio, photos and all, amazing.

It strikes me that the original topic of this thread was L1 Compact V. SA330x, and it's been multiple pages since the latter was even mentioned. I'm wondering if anyone reading this thread has any recent experience with the Fishman.

(Not criticism btw! The latest posts, audio and resulting discussion prompted me to take a closer look at the Bose L1's above the Compact level.)
Ya.. I believe perhaps that the Fishman has "fallen" out of favor? (at least from what I can tell).... None of the local shops carry the SA330. So not easy to get to hear 'em. Plus very little buzz here or on the other websites I frequent.

Yet, the SA220 got a ton of praise... Maybe because it was one of the first units out there years ago.
Now the floor is becoming saturated with "portable PAs and speaker systems..
Old 11-29-2017, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Ya.. I believe perhaps that the Fishman has "fallen" out of favor? (at least from what I can tell).... None of the local shops carry the SA330. So not easy to get to hear 'em. Plus very little buzz here or on the other websites I frequent.

Yet, the SA220 got a ton of praise... Maybe because it was one of the first units out there years ago.
Now the floor is becoming saturated with "portable PAs and speaker systems..
It does seem that the thread has drifted away from comparing the Bose Compact with the Fishman SA 330. A lot of posts about the larger L1s and then about the Tone Match mixer.

The main attraction of both the Compact and the SA330X is their portability, and the ease of setting up and tearing down. Both systems seem to be primarily focused on the solo singer/ songwriter. Many of the post on this thread involve adding more players rather than sticking to these small units primary intended use. Then the thread seems to focus on the larger L1 units. It seems a bit unfair to compare the larger Bose T1 units with T1 $400+ mixers to the Fishman which costs much less money, and is way lighter and more portable. Apples and oranges.

I chose the Fishman because I am a solo acoustic singer/songwriter. I don't use loopers, drum machines, and the like. It's my guitars and me singing my songs. I have a larger P.A. with separate speakers, stands, and mixer with a lot of effects, and rack mounted effects too. I use that if I'm playing with more people. The Fishman has a built in mixer which enables me to set the gain for both my mic and guitar, it has 3 band eq, and 4 reverb settings. The Bose has none of those, and needs a separate mixer to attain the flexibility of the Fishman. Nothing against the Bose, it's a great unit, but for the same money the Fishman offers more portability and flexibility, with quicker set up and tear down. You can certainly spend more money and get the same flexibility with the Bose but then there are more power cords and cables which defeats the portability and ease of set up the Fishman offers in one simple unit.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitaurman View Post

I chose the Fishman because I am a solo acoustic singer/songwriter.... Nothing against the Bose, it's a great unit, but for the same money the Fishman offers more portability and flexibility, with quicker set up and tear down...
Thanks for all the observations in that post. There's a good chance I'll end up with the 330x for exactly those reasons, and being able to add the full setup (sub, extender) if/when needed. Kills me there isn't one around here (DC area) that I've been able to lay my hands on.
Old 11-29-2017, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
Responding to post #164 from Reasley:
He mentioned of the sound improvement from moving up to better mics.
A huge +1 on that!

I also have the Bose L1 Model 2, B2 Bass, T1 mixer.
I also have a pair of Shure SM 58s ... actually their newer upgraded model, Beta 58A with slightly-extended high frequency response, narrower pickup pattern, and higher sensitivity.

It all sounds excellent!
But when gigging at safer upscale locations (no belligerent drunks stumbling around) I bring some much better mics.
The improvement in sound is astounding, not just to me, but judging by feedback, to the audience and staff.

Sennheiser MD-441
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...SABEgK7DPD_BwE

AKG 414 XLS
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/C414XLS

DPA d:fine 4088-B mini condenser headset
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/4088B

DPA d:vote VO 4099G guitar pick up mini condenser
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VO4099G

Why mention all this besides bragging?
My point is, the sound quality from the Bose is so detailed and transparent that it justifies buying the best mics you can afford.
This is not true for every PA.

An audio chain is only as strong as its weakest link.
With most PAs much of what you pay for in a $1,000 mic is wasted, but not with my Bose.
Similarly, much of the $3,200 I paid for my Bose PA is wasted if I use SM-58s.
Of course cost is a real factor for nearly everyone, and there are many better mics that I can't afford.

Next, to echo what Reasley's daughter said, the Bose not only makes me sound my best, it also gives me confidence.
Knowing all the musical nuances are easily heard by everyone in the room helps me not push it.
Rather, when performing I can just relax.
I feel comfortable, much as I do when playing alone in my living room.

And no, I'm not a shill for Bose, AKG, DPA, or Sennheiser ... or for Sweetwater.
Thanks so much for a wealth of knowledge and information in a great post on this forum!
Old 11-30-2017, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitaurman View Post
It does seem that the thread has drifted away from comparing the Bose Compact with the Fishman SA 330. A lot of posts about the larger L1s and then about the Tone Match mixer.

The main attraction of both the Compact and the SA330X is their portability, and the ease of setting up and tearing down. Both systems seem to be primarily focused on the solo singer/ songwriter. Many of the post on this thread involve adding more players rather than sticking to these small units primary intended use. Then the thread seems to focus on the larger L1 units. It seems a bit unfair to compare the larger Bose T1 units with T1 $400+ mixers to the Fishman which costs much less money, and is way lighter and more portable. Apples and oranges.

I chose the Fishman because I am a solo acoustic singer/songwriter. I don't use loopers, drum machines, and the like. It's my guitars and me singing my songs. I have a larger P.A. with separate speakers, stands, and mixer with a lot of effects, and rack mounted effects too. I use that if I'm playing with more people. The Fishman has a built in mixer which enables me to set the gain for both my mic and guitar, it has 3 band eq, and 4 reverb settings. The Bose has none of those, and needs a separate mixer to attain the flexibility of the Fishman. Nothing against the Bose, it's a great unit, but for the same money the Fishman offers more portability and flexibility, with quicker set up and tear down. You can certainly spend more money and get the same flexibility with the Bose but then there are more power cords and cables which defeats the portability and ease of set up the Fishman offers in one simple unit.

My thoughts entirely and I’ve used Boss systems often. While the Compact system is great if I was buying from New I’d go for the Fishman for solo gigs.
Martin J40
Old 11-30-2017, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ya.. I believe perhaps that the Fishman has "fallen" out of favor? (at least from what I can tell)....
Always a mistake to mistake forum threads for reality.

I simply have always preferred Fishman tone over Bose. I use the original SA220 and get unsolicited compliments all the time, especially from other musicians. My last gig, a very well known keyboardist told me that he has never liked the sound of acoustic guitars in a band, but that he loved the tone I was getting.

The SA is truly self contained with all the eq, reverb, feedback control embedded in the single unit, and a rolling case. There is an old saying, "Price is what you pay, value is what you get". I see more value in the SA220 / 330 but, it is actually less money.

YMMV,

Steve
Old 08-15-2019, 06:15 PM

Just read your post since I am in the market for a linear PA. I was thinking of getting the Bose L1 compact with the T1 tonematch. Do you think that would work? Has the T1 been discontinued? Or is it better just to get the model II with the T4 tone match? I think there is value to being able to expand even if there isn't currently a plan to do so...what do you think?
Old 08-15-2019, 06:19 PM

Do you have the tone match with your L1, model II?
Old 08-17-2019, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny3299 View Post
Just read your post since I am in the market for a linear PA. I was thinking of getting the Bose L1 compact with the T1 tonematch. Do you think that would work? Has the T1 been discontinued? Or is it better just to get the model II with the T4 tone match? I think there is value to being able to expand even if there isn't currently a plan to do so...what do you think?
The T1 has been discontinued but it's still a great match for the Bose L1 Compact and any PA really. Easily found on eBay, Reverb, and used gear at Guitar Center. Whether you need an L1 Model 2 depends entirely on how soon you think you'll need it. But the T1 works great with that too.

(This is an old thread)/
Old 08-19-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny3299 View Post
I'm still enjoying my L1C and T1 after two years of extensive gigging. In larger rooms that have a built in PA, I simply run a line from the back of my L1C to an input in the house system, set flat on the eq. I then turn that up until I can hear those speakers just slightly above my Compact which I set up as usual. If I want to be louder or quieter, I simply adjust the input level on the Compact and the change is reflected in the house system as well.

In band situations were the Compact might not be powerful enough, we just run a mixer and a pair of powered speaks for mains and use the Bose on stage as a general monitor.

This works very well for me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification