The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-15-2013, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Rose View Post
I currently have a guitar where I believe the bridge plate is too small (front & rear of bridge pins/saddle) to accommodate a Lyric mic. Seeing that you mounted your Lyric on the soundboard, do you feel it would be OK to place the Lyric behind the bridge plate directly on the SB & have it perform adequately? Also: Does the Lyric need full contact when mounted on the bridge plate or can it partially hang-off the edge of the plate...so to say?
I think mine sounds fine in that position, perhaps not quite as good as in the ideal spot, but as you can see from this thread, there are others who are having issues with unusual installations. No idea if hanging over the edge would be a problem or not. It's a really easy install, just stick it on with double sticky tape, so it's simple to try it and see. That's the only way to know for sure.

The Lyric is really quite tiny, I know there are all kinds of bridge and bracing designs, and anything's possible, but it'd have to be a really tight space not to fit.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Rose View Post
I
I have several guitars that have K&K mini's installed in their proper location & plug into a Blkface Princeton Rvb now w/ the mini's & K&K XLR pre-amp. I'm not that keen on the sound it's producing & the Lyric looks promising. I only play at home & have no way of going directly into a sound system, short of buying another amp...that's not an option at this time.
I missed this earlier. Acoustic guitars usually fair best with a full range amp. Depends on taste of course, but the Princeton's unlikely to be producing a very accurate sound. As you can see on this thread, the people complaining are hearing too much midrange from the Lyric, and a Princeton is basically *all* midrange. You don't have a tweeter or woofer. So my guess is that you'd be combining a midrange-heavy pickup with a mid-range heavy amp. You might love it! Or might not. In my experience, the pickup matters a lot less than the sound system. Get a great PA system, and any pickup will sound really good. A sound system that's not so good doesn't flatter any pickup. If funds are limited, I'd spend them on better amplification first.

Of course, you say you only play at home, so that begs the question of why bother with any of this? For most acoustic players, amplification, pickups, etc, are a necessary evil when we need to play to an audience. Why not just enjoy your "home court advantage" and just play acoustically? Those of us who have to plug in for gigs will all be envious of your pure acoustic tone.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
lyric