The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-27-2021, 07:59 AM

Default Fernando Sor op. 31 no. 19

Honestly I've never been a huge fan of Sor but I think this etude is really fun to play and it becomes challenging at some points. Any feedback is welcome! Thanks

Old 04-27-2021, 08:55 AM
Guest 928

What a fun piece of music! Nicely played, thank you for sharing.
Old 04-27-2021, 09:40 AM

I've never been a huge fan of Sor either. That said, I think you have played it well - and had fun while doing so.

There are a lot of things to like about how you played it. Nice dynamics, pretty crisp plucking with the fingers, nice stopping of bass notes, clean fretting.

There are two things that might be worth exploring. First, increasing the range of timbre you are getting. One way to do that is to move the plucking hand closer to the fingerboard and moving it closer towards the bridge. Changing the timbre can be done for individual notes or phrases.

Second, the rapid bass notes are a lot of work for the thumb, requiring the thumb to do repeated plucking rapidly. It might sound cleaner/more uniform if you either alternated the thumb with the index finger, t/I, t/I, t/I, or used alternating fingers instead of the thumb on those rapid notes. Just something you might want to explore.
Old 04-27-2021, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
What a fun piece of music! Nicely played, thank you for sharing.
Indeed! Thank you for listening!
Old 04-27-2021, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
I've never been a huge fan of Sor either. That said, I think you have played it well - and had fun while doing so.

There are a lot of things to like about how you played it. Nice dynamics, pretty crisp plucking with the fingers, nice stopping of bass notes, clean fretting.

There are two things that might be worth exploring. First, increasing the range of timbre you are getting. One way to do that is to move the plucking hand closer to the fingerboard and moving it closer towards the bridge. Changing the timbre can be done for individual notes or phrases.

Second, the rapid bass notes are a lot of work for the thumb, requiring the thumb to do repeated plucking rapidly. It might sound cleaner/more uniform if you either alternated the thumb with the index finger, t/I, t/I, t/I, or used alternating fingers instead of the thumb on those rapid notes. Just something you might want to explore.
Thank you for the feedback!

I will definitely explore the timbres! About the bass notes, I alternate the thumb with the index finger as you mention, I guess I would have to try and play more staccato. Thanks again!
Old 04-27-2021, 02:49 PM

I like Sor very much and really enjoyed this. Your playing is crisp and articulate with a nice flow to it - great job.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 04-27-2021, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiguelEscalante View Post
About the bass notes, I alternate the thumb with the index finger as you mention, I guess I would have to try and play more staccato.
Watching it on a small phone screen I missed that. I can see that on a larger monitor. I think I'd like to hear them more legato, less staccato. It's just personal preference/interpretation.

Well played, I think.
Old 04-27-2021, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
I like Sor very much and really enjoyed this. Your playing is crisp and articulate with a nice flow to it - great job.
Thanks a lot! I'm glad you enjoyed it!
Old 04-28-2021, 09:53 AM

Very nicely done. Thank you for sharing.
Old 04-28-2021, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su_H. View Post
Very nicely done. Thank you for sharing.
Thank you for listening!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Tags
classical guitar, etude, fernando sor