The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 03-27-2021, 05:23 PM

Default Gibson Es175 VOS '59 Reissue Single Pup

I'm not one to normally gush about the guitars I've had come into my possession but I have to say this single pickup 2013 Es175 is quite spectacular.

I purchased it sight unseen and was not disappointed. I've never played a guitar with such a low easy action, and even when dug in with 11's flatwounds there's not a buzz to be heard in any position.

For a plywood box the guitar rings like a bell with oodles of volume when played acoustically. It's as light as a feather but feels extremely robust and solid with an incredibly comfortable neck profile.

The VOS finish is perfect. Looks and feels like a closet 59 that was never played and just stored for the past 60 years.

Plugged in (I use a Roland Blues Cube Hot) with the tone rolled back a tad you'd be forgiven for thinking Jim Hall was at the wheel.

Gibson should be very proud of themselves for this guitar. It has to be the finest, most enjoyable example of a guitar I've ever come across...and that includes Byrd's, L5's, Citation's, Eagles to name but a few.

If anybody is thinking of purchasing such a beast, rest easy...I have a feeling you won't be disappointed.
Old 03-27-2021, 05:54 PM

Congratulations JKA! I love archtops, and yours sounds like a beauty.
Enjoy!

Peter
Old 03-27-2021, 06:13 PM

Thank you Peter...
Old 04-05-2021, 05:48 PM

Default Congratulations and Enjoy!

Well done, they are hard to find these days. Hope to find a single pickup version at an affordable price sometime.
Old 04-07-2021, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKA View Post
...For a plywood box the guitar rings like a bell with oodles of volume when played acoustically. It's as light as a feather but feels extremely robust and solid with an incredibly comfortable neck profile...
A little-known fact of archtop history is that laminated body construction doesn't have the same detrimental effect on tone as with a flattop guitar (something double-bass makers discovered a century ago, BTW); the first generation of dedicated "electric" guitars - made from laminated woods with built-in pickups - often served as dual-purpose instruments, with the large 17" single-pickup examples (postwar Gibson ES-150/300/350, Epiphone Zephyr Deluxe, etc.) frequently rivaling their solid-top counterparts for volume and tone. If you really want to goose the acoustic response, try stepping up to a heavier gauge - 12's, 13's if you can handle them - tweak the bridge/trussrod, and truly enjoy the best of both worlds...
Old 04-08-2021, 01:51 AM

For acoustic sound I have Pyramid Gold 14s - great jazz sound but obviously no bending. Also allows a very low action for fast runs

Last edited by Ray175; 04-08-2021 at 11:48 AM.
Old 04-14-2021, 12:34 PM

Bought the single in 2016, put a P-90 in it and polished it to a gloss. One of my favorites guitars.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops