The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-16-2021, 08:12 PM

Default Waiting on the Yamaha FGX5's to come in.

Well I've made my decision. Thanks to all of you that responded to my posts and helped to decide. I'm just waiting on them to get another shippment in before I pull the trigger.

Now I'm nervous. Worried that I may not be able to take care of it like I should. What if I can't keep the humidity at the right level? This will be the most expensive and first solid wood guitar I've ever owned. My till death do us part guitar.

My wife said she hoped it came in soon so we could take it on our camping trip. I immediately said oh no not taking that one camping. It stays at home in the air conditioning.
Old 05-16-2021, 10:24 PM

Awesome, but it's not a child, it's a guitar that's meant to be played. You may not enjoy it much if you're always worried about it. Someone on this forum said something like 'most people memories are going to be with their cheap camp guitars' meaning people are afraid to bring their favourite guitars outside etc. Now if you're baking in the scorching heat or below freezing that's one thing, but make memories with it!
Or you might differ and get the most enjoyment out of it in your humidity controlled house, whatever floats your boat!
Old 05-17-2021, 07:22 AM

I've had an FG5 Red Label since last August. There well made play easy setup good quality tuners. Made to be played indoors or outdoors enjoy it and get the most out of it.
Old 05-17-2021, 08:44 AM

We're in the same boat, I just bought my FSX5 two weeks ago and it's also my first nice acoustic. I'm trying to calibrate my home humidifier as we speak. Hopefully I can everything going smoothly by winter, if not I'll probably end up getting a case humidifier. I didn't get to try the FG's but if the quality is anything like my FS, I'm sure it'll be worth the wait!
Old 05-17-2021, 09:05 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas007 View Post
Well I've made my decision. Thanks to all of you that responded to my posts and helped to decide. I'm just waiting on them to get another shippment in before I pull the trigger.

Now I'm nervous. Worried that I may not be able to take care of it like I should. What if I can't keep the humidity at the right level? This will be the most expensive and first solid wood guitar I've ever owned. My till death do us part guitar.

My wife said she hoped it came in soon so we could take it on our camping trip. I immediately said oh no not taking that one camping. It stays at home in the air conditioning.
Great choice of guitar! Enjoy your guitar when it comes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTwoThreeFour View Post
We're in the same boat, I just bought my FSX5 two weeks ago and it's also my first nice acoustic. I'm trying to calibrate my home humidifier as we speak. Hopefully I can everything going smoothly by winter, if not I'll probably end up getting a case humidifier. I didn't get to try the FG's but if the quality is anything like my FS, I'm sure it'll be worth the wait!
Congrats! Enjoy many hours of playing and bonding with your new guitar!
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 05-18-2021, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool555 View Post
Congrats! Enjoy many hours of playing and bonding with your new guitar!
Appreciate it bud, your review helped me make my decision so thanks to you too!

Last edited by Kerbie; 06-27-2021 at 03:40 AM. Reason: Fixed quote tags.
Old 05-18-2021, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

I ordered a FG5 a while back but it was delayed twice. The store charged me for it. I cancelled the order. I wan not comfortable paying a credit card bill for merchandise that I hadn’t received.
Old 05-18-2021, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post
I ordered a FG5 a while back but it was delayed twice. The store charged me for it. I cancelled the order. I wan not comfortable paying a credit card bill for merchandise that I hadn’t received.
The instrument will come through, eventually. It took about 5 months for my FSX5 to come in.... but it got here. They got a shipment in about midway through, but I was too far along in the queue to get in on that shipment... so they got to me on the next one. Musician's friend contacted me several times during the process and kept me informed on the order status.

I am thinking about ordering the FGX5, and am expecting the same delays. There are none in stock I have been able to find anywhere, so waiting is inevitable. If there is a problem that prevents the order from being fulfilled, your money will be returned.
Old 05-18-2021, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellington View Post
Awesome, but it's not a child, it's a guitar that's meant to be played.
Lol, it will be my baby. My wife wants me to be sure this is my "lifetime" guitar. I told her guitars are like bowling balls. My Dad had a bunch of bowling balls throughout his life and everytime he got a new one his old one was still round and worked just fine.
Old 05-19-2021, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas007 View Post
Lol, it will be my baby. My wife wants me to be sure this is my "lifetime" guitar. I told her guitars are like bowling balls. My Dad had a bunch of bowling balls throughout his life and everytime he got a new one his old one was still round and worked just fine.
Chas, Great analogy with the bowling ball. I know nothing about bowling balls but now that you mention it, it sounds like there's similarities with guitars ... custom fit, weight, quality, "feel", etc. There are probably custom built bowling balls available as well (of course there are).

Sounds like you haven't bought it yet? I think you'll be fine taking care of it. Do a little reading (it sounds like you have) and you'll be fine.
Old 05-19-2021, 08:32 PM

It'll be worth the wait. Mine is great. Last time playing it, my bird moved her perch stand and I accidentally slammed into it with the FGX5. No major damage or even minor. Maybe a scratch? Play it. Enjoy it.
Old 06-27-2021, 01:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
It'll be worth the wait. Mine is great. Last time playing it, my bird moved her perch stand and I accidentally slammed into it with the FGX5. No major damage or even minor. Maybe a scratch? Play it. Enjoy it.

And the condition of the bird?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion