The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-18-2021, 07:08 PM
AGF Sponsor

Not my cup of tea, but wildly popular with certain players. And the Q/C and fit and finish is second to none.

scott memmer
Old 05-18-2021, 10:24 PM
Charter Member

For me, it was about the tone quest which led me into and away from Taylor. They were all solid guitars but most were not keepers. I used to describe them as having a “partially produced/pristine” sound in a positive sense but realized about five years ago, I preferred a less pristine tone. It’s a fascinating journey for sure that I would not have done any differently.
Old 05-19-2021, 07:31 AM

I remember the Andy Powers re-designed maple x-brace 600 series a few years ago around 2016-17 had rave reviews about their sound atypical for Taylor guitars. I got one of the new 700s (a 12-fret) in 2017, just before they switched to v bracing. I like it a lot and it’s a keeper.
Old 05-19-2021, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geewhiz View Post
I’ve played some Taylors I like and some that I don’t like. But IMO their ES2 pickup system is an abysmal failure. That’s the main reason I’ve avoided them. Yes, I’m aware the some models can be ordered without the ES2 but as someone who prefers to buy used or off the wall/play it first, that’s not a convenient option for me.
In you opinion what makes the ES2 an abysmal failure?

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 05-19-2021, 07:53 AM

The OP abandoned this thread in January. Folks really love a controversial Taylor thread.

I still have my walnut 12 fret LTD. Is it my favorite tone on the planet? No, but pretty good and for whatever reasons, I seem to constantly write tunes on that guitar. For that reason alone, I'm afraid to sell it. Hands down my easiest to play.

I lament my decisions not to buy the old X braced 618e and 810e DLX before they were discontinued.

People complain about the tone and neck. I had a adi topped BTO DN with a hard V neck. Sounded very much like a Martin and the neck was huge. Sold it due to the neck and my small hands. Would have kept it if I would have known there was local luthier who could have easily shaped it to my needs.

The models that stores stock usually are smaller and reward lighter players. The neck is not for people with huge hands and/or thumb over players. If you want a Martin sound, probably just as easy to get a Martin. Getting a Martin tone with a Taylor feel is what sent me to Bob Thompson guitars.
Old 05-19-2021, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

Taylor is arguably the best acoustic guitar manufacturer in the world who make instruments that, for the most part, don't suit me well. Most (with the exception of cedar/rosewood instruments) Taylors are too bright sounding on the treble side for my tastes. But tonal gripes aside (and tone is the most important thing), I love them as a company. They have an easy to understand lineup, they explain their different models (I have to go to forums to figure out the difference between a 000 and OM), neck resets are a piece of cake, they make wonderful cases, even the lower level guitars are sent with great tuning machines, they have great customer service, and they are actually transparent about their specs. Oh, and has been pointed out in the past, their consistency and fit/finish are second to none.

If Taylor ever offers a cedar/rosewood guitar in the Grand Symphony size or bigger, I will probably buy one. If they don't, perhaps I might order a custom as a retirement gift to myself.
PRS SE P20E Parlor
Martin Backpacker
Old 05-19-2021, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)

Different strokes for different folks. One person finds guitar X to be amazing, the next person dislikes it. What people hear and what they like is completely subjective. No one is supposed to to like brand X simply because it has a loyal following.

Branding is a strong phenomenon in our culture. I feel acoustic guitars particularly unsuited to brand-based expectations in terms of tonal consistency. They vary significantly by individual-even under the the tightest build/production controls-due to physical variation of woods. I've many times played duds among brands I tend to like AND played excellent examples of brands I tend to not like.

In the night you hide from the madman
You're longing to be
But it all comes out on the inside
Eventually
Old 05-19-2021, 09:50 AM

I've tried to like Taylor - I've owned a few but always end up passing them on. They just don't have "it" for me. I like everything else about them and they are certainly playable, but they just don't have any soul. I also really like the ES2 system and how easy it is to get good sound. Maybe I haven't found the right one yet.
Old 05-19-2021, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
The OP abandoned this thread in January. F
Yeah, but we've learned a lot. For example, a member of this forum doesn't like peas. And then there's that whole chocolate vs vanilla ice cream controversy.
Old 05-19-2021, 10:02 AM

Every year at NAMM Taylor introduces New models and "improvements "
I'm waiting for Andy Powers to come up with a double reverse modified V brace.
IMO with all the improvements..they have not improved all that much.
Old 05-19-2021, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflehead View Post
Yeah, but we've learned a lot. For example, a member of this forum doesn't like peas. And then there's that whole chocolate vs vanilla ice cream controversy.

That's a darn good analogy for guitar preferences.

In the night you hide from the madman
You're longing to be
But it all comes out on the inside
Eventually

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion