The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-07-2018, 07:37 PM
Charter Member

Default Laurent Brondel Brazilian Adirondack A2 x 2 Review

Howdy Folks, final thoughts and pics from The Tale of Two Tale, Laurent Brondel's... 2 Brazilian Adirondack A2 models, one standard 25.6" and one short 25"... I did a build thread showing the process, check it out for those who missed it...
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=460817

I like a bit of time to pass before I share my final thoughts, its good to let the eyes focus and mood settle after the initial box opening, these beauties were like a rocket to the next dimension, major pink cloud affect... 6 Months has passed and I'm still just as thrilled every time I crack their cases open... I couldn't be happier with the builds Laurent delivered and I highly recommend his work, GO LAURENT...!

I thought I'd more clearly have a favorite, 25'' vs 26.6".... and I really don't... both have specific qualities the scale length brings to the tone that I admire. If I had to keep only one, I could flip a coin and it wouldn't matter....

The long scale has a hair more power and volume, maybe less forgiving with more direct focus and clarity... When I'm truly playing a song and ready to jam with intention, the long scale really has its place, and is my go to....

When I'm just noodling around and don't want my brain to think, just playing while melting into my couch, I like to grab the short scale... The warmth and lushness is very soothing to my ears, superb blooming tone gushes from the sound hole with no effort... just plucking a few first position chords back and forth can occupy me for an hour, lol...

Just when I'm fully in love and think the short scale is my first pick, I'll put it down and grab the long scale, and its bold expressive power and directness stimulates my senses to maximum overdrive, and I think to myself, its all about the long scale..!!! then the SAME thing happens when I pick up the short scale..! ha, lol... so yea, I give up... they are both supper primo and the scale variations offer elements to the tone that I both really appreciate...

Brondel guitars have a very tough tone to explain in words, and even if listening to a recording... its gotta be on your lap to really get it... and those who own one or have played them I think will agree, Brondel's really have their own thing going on... I feel his instruments have a voice that is really unique and different from anything else in my stash... the first time I've ever played one I was hooked.... Laurent himself is a monster player, supper talented musician... and I think his love and talent for playing strongly shine through in his luthier work... his guitars just always feel RIGHT in my hands... A players guitar, Yea...

Last edited by Diamondave; 08-07-2018 at 11:10 PM.
Old 08-07-2018, 07:38 PM
Charter Member

Old 08-07-2018, 08:06 PM
Charter Member

Great news Dave (kudos)...
Old 08-07-2018, 08:06 PM
AGF Sponsor

Nice Photos, Dave! So are you working on youtube sound samples for the Twin A2?
Old 08-07-2018, 08:13 PM

Gorgeous pair. Love your personal review! Makes one want to join the Brondel club...
Old 08-07-2018, 10:39 PM
Charter Member

Great review and great guitars, DD. Laurent is building in the top tier, in my opinion. The thing I love about the A-2 model, specifically, is that it can really muster a lot of low end, which is incredibly useful for drop tunings. I can get an open C tuning to sound very full and throaty.

I’m sure these guitars are incredible in person. It’s hard to go wrong with red spruce and Brazilian. I’m looking forward to the red spruce/pernambuco build I have coming up.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:10 PM
Charter Member

Dave,

Congratulations for being just as thrilled six months in!

I’ve played a couple of Brondel’s and agree that they are special.

Batur

Martin OM28 (European Spruce/EIR)
Collings OM3A (Adirondack/EIR)
Greven OOO (Lutz/Brazilian)
Greven OO (Lutz/Maple)
ARK Senorita S6-12 (Adirondack/Mahogany)
Circa OOO-12 (European Spruce/Mun Ebony)
Old 08-08-2018, 12:40 AM
Charter Member

Lovely review bud
Old 08-08-2018, 06:04 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

I have absolutely loved every Brondel I've ever played. Top 5 IMO. Congrats.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

Those Brazilian sets are unreal. Congratulations!
Old 08-08-2018, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondave View Post
When I'm just noodling around and don't want my brain to think, just playing while melting into my couch, I like to grab the short scale... The warmth and lushness is very soothing to my ears, superb blooming tone gushes from the sound hole with no effort... just plucking a few first position chords back and forth can occupy me for an hour, lol...
Dave, this is exactly my Brondel B4. Melting back into my Lazyboy in the evening, the tone just leaps out at me. It is a wonderful thing.

Steve
Old 08-08-2018, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

Thanks a lot for all the views and comments...! much appreciated....

Andy, join the club bud, Brondel's open new doors...

Steve! Yea I recall you were one of the earliest owners I knew on the forum that bought a Brondel... B4 paired up with a Lazyboy, priceless...!

Juston, a Pernambuco Brondel is gonna shred high level killer status...

AlanHw, a youtube clip, good idea, would be cool, its been in the back of my head... I only have my iPhone to record with, and man, trying to compare two guitars and get recordings to capture differences gives me an anxiety attack just thinking about it, lol.... we'll see...
Old 08-08-2018, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Cedar View Post
Gorgeous pair. Love your personal review! Makes one want to join the Brondel club...
You should. I've played many Brondels. Perhaps 15 or so. Laurent builds with precision and consistency. The tone quality puts him in my personal top 5 of luthiers working right now, with the caveat that I haven't played everyone out there of course . . . so no offense to you awesome luthiers out there whose work I haven't experienced.

I believe he also sets the standard for playability. There is something about his neck shape and his setup work that makes his guitars feel like they were tailor-made for your hand.

I played a German spruce and Brazilian A-2 at HGF in 2013 as well as a C-4 that convinced me to commission. Shortly thereafter, I bought a red spruce/mahogany A-2c.
Old 08-08-2018, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
You should. I've played many Brondels. Perhaps 15 or so. Laurent builds with precision and consistency. The tone quality puts him in my personal top 5 of luthiers working right now, with the caveat that I haven't played everyone out there of course . . . so no offense to you awesome luthiers out there whose work I haven't experienced.

I believe he also sets the standard for playability. There is something about his neck shape and his setup work that makes his guitars feel like they were tailor-made for your hand.

I played a German spruce and Brazilian A-2 at HGF in 2013 as well as a C-4 that convinced me to commission. Shortly thereafter, I bought a red spruce/mahogany A-2c.
Well, now I have to ask, who are your personal top 5 working right now?

Martin OM28 (European Spruce/EIR)
Collings OM3A (Adirondack/EIR)
Greven OOO (Lutz/Brazilian)
Greven OO (Lutz/Maple)
ARK Senorita S6-12 (Adirondack/Mahogany)
Circa OOO-12 (European Spruce/Mun Ebony)
Old 08-08-2018, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bho View Post
Well, now I have to ask, who are your personal top 5 working right now?
John Slobod - Circa
Laurent Brondel
Mike Baranik
Burton LeGeyt
Leo Buendia

I would put Howard Klepper in there, too, but unfortunately last year's fire has ended his career. Recognize that much of this is personal preference and omits a huge number of people whose work I've never played, though I've put my hands a on a lot of luthiers' work over the years at shows.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop