The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-04-2018, 04:42 PM

apogee mic+ is designed just for this purpose. works well and sounds very good
Old 07-04-2018, 05:04 PM

That SHURE MV88 looks really cool too. Someone posted that here earlier and I’ve been looking at that.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DupleMeter View Post
I recently bought a Shure MV88 for my iPhone. It is much better than I expected (I figured it would be a fun toy...but it's actually quite good). I recommend it for quick iPhone recordings (audio or video).

Is it a KM184 through an API or Neve? No! Not even close. But it's really good for what it is & much better than the built-in mic.

You’ve got me wanting one of these really badly right now. I looked at the videos and I was really impressed. There was one where they did a comparison of the Zoom and the SHURE and it just destroyed the Zoom. And I’ve been a fan of Zoom’s products before. But it seems that this SHURE is just above and beyond.

Does the SHURE work with Garage Band?
Old 07-05-2018, 07:14 AM

I bought a used Apogee Mic 96k Lightning ..
Sounds excellent and super easy to use.

Last edited by JakeStone; 07-05-2018 at 08:12 AM.
Old 07-05-2018, 07:17 AM

I’ve heard good things about the Apogee.

My Line6 seems to do just what I need. But, like everyone else, I’m in search of that PERFECT tone. :-) Such an unsatisfying search.
Old 07-05-2018, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojobean39 View Post
I’ve heard good things about the Apogee.
You should also look at the Apogee One. A little more money. Great sounding built-in mic, Mic in with phantom, "instrument in" which is really another mic preamp minus the phantom, plus it's an in-and-out interface. The only thing it isn't is shaped like a microphone.

Couch Standards
Old 07-05-2018, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm curious about what is the easiest way to record a video on an iPhone (6s Plus) with decent audio.

I've got a Line 6 Sonic Port VX that would probably work. But I'm curious about something better, like recording the audio with an SM81.

Anyone have any experience with that? Recording a video on the phone and using a good external mic for the audio?

Thanks in advance.
Hi jb

I always record video with the iPhone, and audio EXTERNALLY with an old Zoom H4 with either one or two Rode NT-3 mics and combine them in post processing.

Actually the reason I chose the NT-3s is they can be battery powered and not have to be phantom powered, and sound really great. When I closed my studio (about a decade ago) I hung onto them (along with an AKG 414 and a Shure KSM-44). When I'm shooting video interviews, any of those is superior to the internal mic of the phone, and the Zoom has XLR and ¼" inputs so I'm good to go without jerry-rigging to get decent audio.

The reason I don't try to record external audio into the phone is two-fold.
1 - the phone interfaces keep changing (always have and always will).
2 - Trying to monitor audio in a different app on the same device I'm recording video with - while recording video - is a pain.

iPhone for example has moved from the old 30pin connector, to the lightning connector, and rumored to be moving to a USB-C in the next iteration or two. Androids already come in either USB-mini or USB-C. I don't want another obsolete interface which forces me to shoot video with an older (less capable) phone. I've owned a version of iPhone 4, 5, 6, and 8 and that encompassed different interfaces (through the stereo headphone jack in, through the 30 pin connector, or through the lightning port in).

By recording the audio to an external device, it future proofs my gear to a degree. And it's more flexible in post (I can do more with the audio in post with less hassles).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 07-05-2018 at 08:00 AM. Reason: added future-proof comment
Old 07-05-2018, 09:33 AM
Eric Skye

Quote:
That SHURE MV88 looks really cool too. Someone posted that here earlier and I’ve been looking at that.
I’m selling the one I got a few weeks ago. It just sounds okay on my guitar. I’m really hoping using a regular mic into the little irig thing works. I’ve tried a few of these usb/iOS mics and have not been impressed sound wise
Old 07-05-2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
I’m selling the one I got a few weeks ago. It just sounds okay on my guitar. I’m really hoping using a regular mic into the little irig thing works. I’ve tried a few of these usb/iOS mics and have not been impressed sound wise

Wished I had read this. :-( I just ordered one off of eBay not ten minutes ago.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:43 AM

I haven't tried an attached cell phone mic but I would expect to see an issue like the one I had with my Zoom Q3HD - when the camera is positioned for the framing I like, the mic is in the wrong place to capture the best audio. That's the huge advantage of a separate mic or mic pair.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 07-05-2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
I haven't tried an attached cell phone mic but I would expect to see an issue like the one I had with my Zoom Q3HD - when the camera is positioned for the framing I like, the mic is in the wrong place to capture the best audio. That's the huge advantage of a separate mic or mic pair.

Fran

The mic for the SHURE has an adjustable angle. I believe it is only 90 degrees, instead of 180 degrees like it should be. But that’s not really an issue for me.

I’ll probably order the iRig PRE as well. I see them on eBay for like $20.

My purpose, however, is for making really simple recordings with me or my wife and me. Upload to Facebook or YouTube. Nothing professional quality is needed. But I don’t want crappy sound.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Nothing professional quality is needed. But I don’t want crappy sound.
"Crappy sound" is pretty subjective. If you don't need "pro and slick," non-crappy is certainly achievable but it depends at least as much on the space you're in as the m.o. of recording.

When my friends tracked a record at Sun in Memphis and one of the wives shot a bit of video with her phone live off the floor, the two recordings sounded amazingly similar in character.

Couch Standards
Old 07-05-2018, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
"Crappy sound" is pretty subjective. If you don't need "pro and slick," non-crappy is certainly achievable but it depends at least as much on the space you're in as the m.o. of recording.

When my friends tracked a record at Sun in Memphis and one of the wives shot a bit of video with her phone live off the floor, the two recordings sounded amazingly similar in character.

That’s cool about recording in Sun Studios. I did that tour and what an awesome place.

I think, at this point, my limiting factor will be my recording location. Just recording at my house is not really the ideal place, I’m certain. But I can’t really change that. It would be nice to have a location that was ideal, but I don’t.

I ordered one of the iRig PREs off of Reverb. So, at this point, I have a few different options. I have a couple of different mics available- AKG 414, SM81 and a dpa mic.

One of the hardest things to do, March-November, is record without the AC or fan running. I live in Florida and it’s just brutal if you’ve got the AC off for more than a little bit. I always have to cool the house down really low before I start doing anything. Seems stupid, but it’s how it is.

Once I get them in, I’ll try to do a decent review of them.

I appreciate all this input.
Old 07-05-2018, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

Hi jb

Going to externally recording sound has enabled me to position multiple phones around the player to capture different angles, and I only need a single recorded source for post-processing.

I press an old iPhone 5s, iPhone 6s, and iPhone 6 into service (on tripods) in addition to my iPhone 8+, and it's not a lot more work, and the possibilities for better looking edits is great.

I'm hoping you post some links to your results so we can see what you produce.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 07-05-2018, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi jb

Going to externally recording sound has enabled me to position multiple phones around the player to capture different angles, and I only need a single recorded source for post-processing.

I press an old iPhone 5s, iPhone 6s, and iPhone 6 into service (on tripods) in addition to my iPhone 8+, and it's not a lot more work, and the possibilities for better looking edits is great.

I'm hoping you post some links to your results so we can see what you produce.

That’s actually really cool. I’ve never thought about using multiple phones. While I’m not a video editor, it does give me the idea of being able to record several things at once and picking the best one. It would also be great to do for comparison purposes as well.

You all have been so helpful here and I truly appreciate it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD