The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-19-2018, 01:38 PM

Default Increasing string spacing on the nut on a Blueridge OM...

I would like to increase the string spacing at the nut to make it more similar to Martin spacing (roughly 36mm vs. 40mm). The nuts themselves are 1&11/16 on the Blueridge OM and 1&3/4 on a Martin OM. Although there is ample room on the Blueridge nut to move the string-spacing outward by roughly 1.5cm on each side - e to E, what happens is that the middle strings (2 & 5, B and A respectively) touch other tuning posts. I am concerned that it may cause strings to break or cause tuning issues.

Does this make this unwise or would it not affect the guitar although the strings will be rubbing other tuners? Is there a practical solution other than get used to it or get rid of it?

Thanks!
Old 08-19-2018, 03:34 PM

Once the string goes through the nut it shouldn't matter if the string touches another of the tuning posts. However, if this bothers you, you could put in string tees like you find on a Fender Telecaster.
Old 08-19-2018, 03:44 PM

I sold one of those guitars because of the nut width (and it was a great sounding little guitar) so I'm interested that it sounds like you can make this work. Sounds like the strings touching the post problem is a small compromise to make given the improvement you will get in the guitar. I wouldn't worry about it at all.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 08-19-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfirob View Post
I sold one of those guitars because of the nut width (and it was a great sounding little guitar) so I'm interested that it sounds like you can make this work. Sounds like the strings touching the post problem is a small compromise to make given the improvement you will get in the guitar. I wouldn't worry about it at all.
Thanks. Great guitar but I don't play it because the spacing bothers me and it shouldn't. Probably some obsessive compulsive disorder I didn't know I have. Once you get used to more spacing your fingers kinda fight you to play 11/16.

Crazy thing is if they designed the headstock just a little bit differently it wouldn't be a problem. I'm going to try to have the e & E string come into the nut from the outside and leave the rest going down the middle. Hopefully this will alleviate some of the friction (probably not though).
Old 08-19-2018, 06:00 PM

If you want the wider 1 3/4 nut, one option would be to get the Blueridge "A" (Adirondack) version.
Old 08-19-2018, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
If you want the wider 1 3/4 nut, one option would be to get the Blueridge "A" (Adirondack) version.
Yes, this is the way to go.
Old 08-19-2018, 07:18 PM

I have cut new nuts on several Blueridges. It works great, but you must be very careful not to get the strings too far out toward the edge. Depending on your playing style, the strings will slip off the fretboard if they’re too close. I’ve learned over the years, how close I can get them for my style. I’d recommend one of the Stew Mac string spacing guides. They help to accurately equalize the spacing across all the strings.

I have experienced no problems with the strings contacting the posts.

Rb
Old 08-19-2018, 07:30 PM

extending the spacing at the nut has been done since the 30's, you simply need a custom nut filed properly to space all strings the exact same distance while utilizing the outermost area as a refrence. you will find on the OM-18GE the spacing is very close to the edge of the fretboard, some players have difficulty with this because you risk forcing the string over the fret edge as it is so close. You would not risk anything by doing this. Dan Lashbrook extends the spacing on the nut and saddle by using a scalloped method where each individual string is spaced and intonated properly. I had a OM-21 he did a full setup on and the spacing was too wide for either me or the guitar, (I kept popping the low E off the 3rd fret). Anyway, there is nothing wrong with what you are doing, you could simply get a wider nut that is already cut and remove the wider edges accordingly till it fits properly on the neck then the maximum amount of spacing will be realized.
Old 12-26-2018, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfirob View Post

Hey just wanted to let you know I did install a new nut & increase the nut spacing by getting a Martin 1 3/4" nut that (E to e) spacing is 1.5" (a slight but noticeable increase) over the 1 11/16th spacing.

It plays much better without any issues. Much more comfortable to play considering I prefer the slimmer Blueridge neck vs. Martin neck as well. i love Martins too. Just so expensive...maybe someday.
Old 12-26-2018, 05:25 PM

If touching the tuning posts causes buzzing you can put some material between the post and string.
Old 12-26-2018, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobrobertsxxx View Post
Hey just wanted to let you know I did install a new nut & increase the nut spacing by getting a Martin 1 3/4" nut that (E to e) spacing is 1.5" (a slight but noticeable increase) over the 1 11/16th spacing.

It plays much better without any issues. Much more comfortable to play considering I prefer the slimmer Blueridge neck vs. Martin neck as well. i love Martins too. Just so expensive...maybe someday.

Excellent!! You did well and got the spacing you wanted.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 12-26-2018, 06:20 PM

I also did this on my BR-160A. It is the older style with the 1&11/16 nut. I just copied the string spacing of my HD-28 and made a new nut. It worked great.

Dave
2012 Eastman HE322CE w/K&K
2013 Breedlove Atlas Stage C25/SRe
2015 Epiphone DR-500MCE/NA w/JJB
2016 Gibson J-15 w/K&K
2016 Recording King ROS G9M
2017 Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-45ME/VSS
2018 Yamaha FS-TA
2018 Taylor 110e w/ES2
2018 AMI JM-SG45 w/JJB
Old 12-26-2018, 06:40 PM
Charter Member

Sounds like you would be better off with a guitar that has a wider fretboard. Took me a while to learn that myself.
Old 12-26-2018, 07:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobrobertsxxx View Post

Glad it worked for you! I had this done to a guitar with a 1-11/16 nut and got just shy of a 1.5" string spacing. It was totally worthwhile to me.

In contrast to your guitar, mine has slightly stout full C profile, about 0.86" at the first fret. I find it comfy, but probably wouldn't go bigger. Slim profile necks give me hand cramps. One size doesn't fit all.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion