The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 07-27-2018, 02:23 AM

Nice art work. Are you located in Thailand?

Almanza 401 Mate
Classical

Ventura 12 string V17, now
a 6 string Lap Guitar.

Kala Baritone Ukulele

Melokia, Solid Acacia Tenor Ukulele

Yamaha Guitalele GL1

Yamaha CS40 Classical
Old 07-27-2018, 12:45 PM

Default beating UAS - it takes a partner

My UAS and GAS are in remission thanks to the "help" and "support" of my loving wife.

But, seriously, on the subject of ukes: it has been much easier to avoid shopping for another uke since I get a killer deal on a Kanilea ST-1 Premium. I can't stop playing it! I like playing guitar and uke exactly equally - I have no preference. I love them both. When I'm playing a song on guitar, I want to put it down and pick up the uke and play the same song...and vice-versa. I don't know how anybody could not have a few of both in their quivers.
Old 07-27-2018, 05:10 PM

It IS addicting, isn't it. I stumbled onto the uke about 5 years ago while shopping for a violin for my daughter. Figured it was a good excuse to challenge myself by taking up something musical. It's become an obsession. I've owned more than 60 and have a current collection of 14 spectacular ukes. Have you stopped me before I want into the shop that day and previewed my future, I would have laughed at you. "Who'd athunk?"

You might enjoy a project we did to raise money for Ukulele Kids Club. See my footer for link to Luthiers for a Cause project.
Old 07-30-2018, 02:25 PM

Default Martin C1k

Purchased a Martin C1K Uke. Sounds amazing however can't get use to the neck. Find the depth to be too thin for my tastes especially at the nut. Anyone experience this?
Old 07-30-2018, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_Plays_Poorly View Post
My UAS and GAS are in remission thanks to the "help" and "support" of my loving wife.

But, seriously, on the subject of ukes: it has been much easier to avoid shopping for another uke since I get a killer deal on a Kanilea ST-1 Premium. I can't stop playing it! I like playing guitar and uke exactly equally - I have no preference. I love them both. When I'm playing a song on guitar, I want to put it down and pick up the uke and play the same song...and vice-versa. I don't know how anybody could not have a few of both in their quivers.
i do the same thing. i just figured out a little ditty on uke and before completing it, i had to pick up the guitar and play it. you have to keep one beside the other for easy handling!

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 07-31-2018, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
My grand-daughter is 3 years old today, and I spent ages agonizing over whether I should buy her a semi-decent uke (which would have been around the 100+GBP mark,) or a real cheapie for just over 20GBP.

In the end, I am ashamed to say, I went for the cheapie, but I am assuaging my conscience by promising myself that I will build her a proper uke for her 4th birthday.

I did however set up the cheapie to make it at least playable.
I gave my granddaughter a ukulele for Christmas when she was two. First she just played with it, now she plays it. She just turned four. I went with a Waterman by Kala, made of high grade plastic, next to impossible to hurt, yet comes with quality tuners and strings. I started her in open C tuning, (just drop the first string, A, to G) she's got the strumming down and can play tons of songs she loves, Wheels on the Bus, Itsy Bitsy Spider, and now she's writing, singing and playing new songs that go along with pictures in her books. Open tuning was also a great way to start because as it turns out, she's a lefty.

And, yes, the uke bit me hard! I personally think it's popular now because we have a whole generation of players who have never heard Tiny Tim sing Tip Toe through the Tulips! I had a Harmony mahogany ukulele my freshman year in highschool (1961!!) but it quickly lost out to guitar. I didn't revisit ukulele until a few years back when Kala donated some playable but not sellable ukuleles to Guitars In The Classroom and we became Guitars & ukes In The Classroom. I now teach guitar and ukulele to teachers through GITC and am also teaching ukulele at Senior Centers in three towns nearby. It is pretty hard not to smile when you hear or play ukulele music.

I just added a Kala tenor to my uke family and love the feel and sound. I also have a soprano Waterman, a solid Koa concert, a Luna concert peace ukulele, and a Kala baritone. Guess I'll have to gather them together for a family portrait!

Last edited by jgmaute; 07-31-2018 at 03:08 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:20 PM

Yeah. I’ve gotten so deep into ukes I’m known among people that know me as a ukulele player, rather than a guitar player.

I play a lot of chording 1920s-30s Tin Pan Alley and jugband type stuff. Not hard to play but sounds and looks like you really know what you’re doing.

I take it to jams, because they are light and easy to carry, plus we really don’t need 8 guitar players.

~Dave
~Music self-played is happiness self-made
Old 08-02-2018, 01:29 AM

We had a lot of fun in my June classes playing blues songs in open C (drop 1st string, A, to G). Even my beginners were loving playing "Sitting On The Dock of the Bay", "I've Been Wandering" and "Abilene" by just barring up and down the fret board.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:52 PM

My grand daughter had expressed interest in play the ukulele a couple of years ago and even was learning in school. So, like any good grandfather, I bought her a soprano and myself a concert so I could teach and we could play together. Well, her interest has waned for now, and my niece said she wanted one, so I gave her my concert. On top of that, I was not really excited about learning a new set of chords after more than 60 years of guitar....so I bought myself an OS baritone. As others have stated, this thing is addictive. I liked using the guitar tuning so much I even re-tuned by banjos to what is called Chicago tuning. It makes playing this variety of instruments more fun when you can concentrate on the styles needed for each, rather than relearning everything. But that's just my two cents.

Rev. David.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:12 PM

A few weeks back I picked up a Kiwaya KTC-1 ....I believe I might very well stop looking for the perfect concert size uke. This little gem is incredible! All solid mahogany - I think it's sapele. Light as a feather, outstanding build quality, rings like a bell and sings like a bird. Fast and easy playing...the perfect uke for me.
Taylor GS Mini-e Spruce/Rosewood
Waterloo WL-S
Wechter TO-8418

Cordoba 24T tenor ukulele
Kanile'a Islander MST-4 tenor ukulele
Kiwaya KTC-1 concert ukulele
Kolohe concert ukulele
Mainland Mahogany soprano ukulele
Ohana SK-28 soprano ukulele
Brüko No. 6 soprano ukulele
Old 08-17-2018, 02:31 PM

Default all done now

My UAS is in total remission. My Blackbird Farallon tenor in ekoa composite just ended desires for anything else. It wasn't cheap (~$1500) but plays and sounds wonderful. All of the wooden ones are retired now, and will be sold eventually. Plus being composite, I will never have to worry about humidity and (mostly) temperature.

Given the price, this is not the right solution for everyone, but it works for me. I have run a ukulele group with 20-30 active participants for 10½ years now.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warndt View Post
It can be done, but the flute tends to sound more like a Kazoo.
Roland Kirk sang harmony or unison to the flute's melody line.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsaxODHI3fA
-1950 Gibson LG1
-1958 Goya M-26
-Various banjos, mandolins, dulcimers, ukuleles, Autoharps, mouth harps. . .
Old 08-23-2018, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmaute View Post
We had a lot of fun in my June classes playing blues songs in open C (drop 1st string, A, to G). Even my beginners were loving playing "Sitting On The Dock of the Bay", "I've Been Wandering" and "Abilene" by just barring up and down the fret board.
Another good song in this tuning is Wake Up Little Suzie.
-1950 Gibson LG1
-1958 Goya M-26
Old 08-28-2018, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootch View Post
Yeah. I’ve gotten so deep into ukes I’m known among people that know me as a ukulele player, rather than a guitar player.

I play a lot of chording 1920s-30s Tin Pan Alley and jugband type stuff. Not hard to play but sounds and looks like you really know what you’re doing.

I take it to jams, because they are light and easy to carry, plus we really don’t need 8 guitar players.
I have picked up a few ukes as well Scootch. I play in The Maple Leaf Champions Jug Band and it's the first group where I've played ukulele. I try to play at least 4 or 5 uke tunes a show. It sounds like our repertoires are similar. Some I like to play are:
Please Don't Talk About Me When I'm Gone
Boodle Am Shake
Somebody Stole My Gal
I'm Satisfied With My Gal
Sweet Sue
Ukulele Lady
My Ukulele Helps Me Beat The Blues
Walkin' My Baby Back Home
-1950 Gibson LG1
-1958 Goya M-26
Old 08-28-2018, 08:43 AM

Default UAS acting up again with the mention of Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
My UAS is in total remission. My Blackbird Farallon tenor in ekoa composite just ended desires for anything else. It wasn't cheap (~$1500) but plays and sounds wonderful. All of the wooden ones are retired now, and will be sold eventually. Plus being composite, I will never have to worry about humidity and (mostly) temperature.

Given the price, this is not the right solution for everyone, but it works for me. I have run a ukulele group with 20-30 active participants for 10½ years now.
Oh no! Another reference to Blackbird and I'm starting to twitch towards my wallet... Congrats! If I buy another uke, it will definitely be a Blackbird Farallon.
1969 Yamaha FG-150
1987 MIJ E Series Telecaster
1972 Gibson SG-100 (eat your heart out!)
Halcyon #261 SD45 (highly customized)
a "beater" Johnson resonator significantly altered cone
Kanilea ST-1 Premium (tenor uke)
Kala Concert and Soprano ukes

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments