The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-26-2004, 01:28 AM

Ozrufus I had a chance to play the Taylor Pelican guitar. It was myrtlewood - and I thought it sounded really thin and unresponsive. It's the only myrtlewood guitar I've played so I'm surprised at what you said about the Breedlove.
Old 03-26-2004, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by stringslowe
Ozrufus I had a chance to play the Taylor Pelican guitar. It was myrtlewood - and I thought it sounded really thin and unresponsive. It's the only myrtlewood guitar I've played so I'm surprised at what you said about the Breedlove.
Wow...that's just the opposite of my Pelican! It has a beautiful, full, ringing tone all of it's own...and sustain that lasts forever. It's the only GA guitar I've been happy with. Much, much better and more full than koa, IMO. Mine's the only Pelican I've played, though, so don't know if you got to play a bad one or I have a particularly good one.

To jhm...myrtlewood has it's own sound and tone. At least to my ears.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 03-26-2004, 07:20 AM

Hello All,

I am not a big fan of the pointy headstock or zig zag bridge, but if I can find a model with a more traditional look, I would be very interested. Looks like the SC20 Grand Concert is more traditional in appearance, has anyone played one of them?

Jeff
Old 03-26-2004, 08:04 AM
More guitars than talent

Do any of them come with electronics? It didn't seem that any had them at the Guitaradoptions website. Or am I blind again.

01 Taylor 814ce, 05 Taylor T5 Maple, 78 Ovation 10th Anniversary, Larrivee L03-12RE

98 American strat, 06 Gibson LP Supreme, 05 Gadow Custom Single, 05 Gadow Custom Hollow, 04 Agile Goldtop, 05 Variax 600, 03 Splatter Strat, 04 Homebuilt Tele, Dillion John Lennon model, Gibson Flying V, Agile Valkyrie SG
Old 03-26-2004, 08:07 AM
Don't Tread On Me

Quote:
Originally posted by flaggerphil
Wow...that's just the opposite of my Pelican! It has a beautiful, full, ringing tone all of it's own...and sustain that lasts forever. It's the only GA guitar I've been happy with. Much, much better and more full than koa, IMO. Mine's the only Pelican I've played, though, so don't know if you got to play a bad one or I have a particularly good one.

To jhm...myrtlewood has it's own sound and tone. At least to my ears.
My myrtlewood Northwest Classic by Breedlove fits flaggerphil's description -- like a good paino. And I like Breedlove's styling, sorry they replaced the lightning bolt bridge as standard on the higher end guitars. But if you really want to see much ado about nothing (the bridge is still available as an option I understand) check out the Breedlove forum.

"Sometimes a brain can come in quite handy." Jibjab
Old 03-26-2004, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by beatlenut
Do any of them come with electronics? It didn't seem that any had them at the Guitaradoptions website. Or am I blind again.
Mine came with a Schertler Bluestick. I haven't used it much, but from my limited experience it sounds great.
Old 03-26-2004, 09:22 AM

I love the design of Breedlove. I do appreciate traditional looking guitars but I like when someone does something outside the box.

Oh, and I hope to return to Oregon soon, I am not a big fan of Ft. Stewart, GA.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats."

HL Mencken
Old 03-26-2004, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by beatlenut
Some do. A lot have just a UST (most commonly a Fishman Matrix) or a Schertler Bluestick as belapeace reports. Some come with Fishman preamps as well, but I think Breedlove may be considering other options. I think Dave has a handful with pickups or pickups/preamps. I personally plan on adding a pickup of my choice aftermarket, but the JLD bridge truss system introduces some limitations.

Larrivee LV-09BW
Gibson J-15
Martin Custom D Rosewood
Eastman E10SS
Washburn Solo DeLuxe RSG100
Enya X4 Pro Carbon Fiber
Guild Aristocrat M-75
Reverend Jetstream FM-HB
Ibanez AS103
Ibanez AFJ95
Songbird Warbler Hammered Dulcimer
Old 03-26-2004, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by stringslowe
Thin and unresponsive it is not. Again, I haven't had a lot of time with it, but I was very impressed. Honestly, its tone is probably more influenced by it being a jumbo size, although it doesn't feel like a jumbo at all (a la Taylor).

Larrivee LV-09BW
Gibson J-15
Martin Custom D Rosewood
Eastman E10SS
Washburn Solo DeLuxe RSG100
Enya X4 Pro Carbon Fiber
Guild Aristocrat M-75
Reverend Jetstream FM-HB
Ibanez AS103
Ibanez AFJ95
Songbird Warbler Hammered Dulcimer
Old 03-26-2004, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by belapeace
I love my Breedlove. It blows away my Taylor in every respect!

guitaradoptions.com is the largest Breedlove dealer online.

Largest in the World!
Old 03-26-2004, 11:15 PM

Thumbs up

I think breedlove guitars are incredible. They are different looking, but you can't beat thier build quality or choice of body styles. I had a chance to play a madagasscar(sp?) rosewood sc22 model and a striped ebony sc25 model both with incredible redwood tops. Sound was awesome, depending on what style you like. Fingerstyle people would absolutely love these. What impressed me most was an Atlas series rosewood guitar for around 600 dollars. Best guitar out there IMO period for that amount of money.

Looks are one thing. Even Taylor, though somewhat smoother looks is radical to hardcore martin type guitar fans.

Breedloves may not have the look to a lot of people, but almost every one I have played have sounded incredible.
Old 03-27-2004, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bstring
... check out the Breedlove forum.
Any directions on how to get there?
Old 03-27-2004, 06:32 AM
Don't Tread On Me

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/Breedloveguitars/
Old 03-27-2004, 11:55 AM

I'm a Breedlover too and honestly when I first saw them I was like "no way". But that's when I was a n00b. I still am, but now that I know Taylor isn't the only thing in the world I've learned that you can get so much better for the same price. I think Breedlove has a very respectable name and anyone who is in-the-know can appreciate the unique design because the sound is to die for. Isn't that what it's all about? People rant and rave about tone all the time. Why look good and sound bad?
Ebony tuner buttons
L.R. Baggs Dual Element

SOLD: 2003 Larrivée L-09

SOLD: 2003 Larrivée OM-03R
Old 03-27-2004, 05:13 PM

I was first stunned by a 12 string CM Master Class in maple. I just loved the jolt I got from the Celtic look of the thing.

The Linear Fusion inlay amazingly blended the Rennaisance and the 21st century. A difficult thing to do.

I have hard time understanding people questioning the bridge design. It's string-through, so who cares beyond that? There's nothing more boring than a dreadnaught.

If "standard" or "normal" is what one wants, then Guitar Center has a few Yamahas.

Everything looks boring to me compared to a Breedlove. Most everything SOUNDS boring to me compared to a Breedlove.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification