The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-03-2013, 07:43 AM
Guest 33123

Days 26-27: My problems continue. Being on full time bedtime duty with my son is killing me when it comes to practice time. Wed was fine. I never fell asleep and I had a really great practice and some excellent (but tough!) time working out the new section to the new song. But last night I just couldn't get up. I came to at 1 and just went to bed. But not all dark clouds! I did get about a 1/2hr+ in yesterday just focusing on my new song and I nailed it. This section is really tricky but I had a great break through and really put it together. It's moments like that that make it all worth it. Anybody have that feeling when they are working out a new song where the sunshine just break through? Feels great.

Tonight: back to repertorie and reinforcing the new section plus listening to the next bit. I'll see how it goes. I'm pretty close to the end of the new piece!
Old 05-04-2013, 09:11 PM

Default Chronic Amnesia

Day 3

Went to bridge today and had no idea where I left off. Had to go back to the top. Finished and now well over 3/4 the way through. this song isn't hard to play but I feared my brain is.
Ibanez S5470
Ignacio M Rozas Classic Spanish guitar
Alverez Yairi Classical Electric
Taylor 516ce spruce top
Roland Electric Keyboard
Yamaha Bass
www.soundclick.com/bayoubill
Old 05-06-2013, 05:28 AM

Day 31. More of the same over the last few days. Really struggling to get a good recording of the whole thing with no mistakes, but that aside it's going well. The bits that I have recorded are just starte to sound ok to me - a bit of bounce and syncopation and even that lightness of touch that this is really all about. I've upped the practice speed to 215 bpm (107 in Flatpicker's terms - they divide it all by two for some reason) which is way in excess of my original goal - so it may make it easier when I drop down a few bpm for the final recording in 9 days time...

My acoustics:
  • Tanglewood TW-60
  • Manouche 'Moreno' Modele Jazz
  • 2006 Martin 000-15
  • Tanglewood TW-40
  • Furch D32-SM
  • Michael Messer Lightning
Old 05-06-2013, 07:34 AM

Just to add a further update to the note above, here's the audio position of where I am as I go into the last quarter of the challenge.

Ragtime Annie V2

This is only the beginner's and intermediate choruses as I'm yet to get even a halfway decent version of the advanced chorus down - but there's still over a week left and I'm almost there.

I much prefer this speed (I can't even listen to the old version now). There's still a few things I've been doing over the last week that I'm yet to incorporate at this tempo (only started playing at this speed this morning) - mainly trying to hold the low C note down and let it ring throughout some of the runs, and a bit more syncopation - but I'm happy with the progress.

Comments welcome - has it been worth it??

Cheers
Derek

My acoustics:
  • Tanglewood TW-60
  • 2006 Martin 000-15
  • Tanglewood TW-40
  • Furch D32-SM
Old 05-06-2013, 09:00 AM
Guest 33123

Days 28-30: Friday night: my wife called from Vancouver and helped wake me up after I put my son to bed. Unfortunately I was having a bunch of hand cramps but I made it through the practice. Saturday: I finished the last part of my new song! I spend some time during the day working on the parts I knew and then I grabbed the video and figured out the last part. Not the best practice though. I kept screwing up my repertorie. Sigh. At least my wife got back home so I didn't have to put my son to bed. Sunday: I spent a little bit of the day between chores working on the new section of my song. It went well and did my usual practice at night. After that I spent about 30-40 minutes trying to tie the whole new song together. It was quite a struggle but I got it in the end.

Tonight: repertorie, more time with the new song and hopefully a recording session.

Last edited by Guest 33123; 05-06-2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:10 AM

i've still been maintaining about 1 hour per day which for some reason i am spreading out over a number of pieces. we had company over the weekend, and the garden needs tending amongst other obstacles. at the very least i'm really building up a library of excuses.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:32 PM
Charter Member

Ragtime Annie and freight train sound great esp Annie, it's exactly the type of music I'm digging now... Great job.
Schecter California Classic Strat 1990s
Old 05-07-2013, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Ragtime Annie and freight train sound great esp Annie, it's exactly the type of music I'm digging now... Great job.
Thank you, Kirkham!

Day 32 - the joy of working from home. Spent half an hour at lunchtime sitting out in the sun with a cup of tea plucking away at Annie. Even managed to get through the whole thing once or twice and have added another tiny tweak which I 'heard' when listening to the version above.

Off to London tomorrow so it may be the first day since the challenge began when I don't get to play - but I'll hopefully be back home in time for a few minutes on the song.

Kind regards
Derek

My acoustics:
  • Tanglewood TW-60
  • 2006 Martin 000-15
  • Tanglewood TW-40
  • Furch D32-SM
Old 05-07-2013, 04:50 PM

I'm not sure what day it is. I'm getting a late start cuz it's after 5 pm. No problems so far. I just love this song. After I learn it ALL comes the real work of practicing it.
Ibanez S5470
Taylor 516ce spruce top
Roland Electric Keyboard
Yamaha Bass
Old 05-07-2013, 05:55 PM
Guest 33123

Day 31: really putting my new song together now. Able to play it end to end with no mistakes but it takes a few tries to get there. Also I can run the new song through in my head when I'm away from the guitar which is usually a good sign. Good practice all around last night and I did a recording of Woody Mann's Midtown Fling. Here the fruits of my (recording) labour:

http://soundcloud.com/tripleohdoug/midtown-fling

Comments are always welcome.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:24 PM

this is such a good idea. I'm totally doing it, 40 days in a row and record everyday. Don't think I can pull 2 hours though, maybe a half hour and record 1 songs or something every day.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:38 AM

Ok.. I must admit it... just reading how much effort you all put into it gave me a nice boost towards playing/practicing more than I normally do but... record something every day?

That would imply having a permanent recording setup, ready to go at whim. For me at least.
And having something worth recording every day too.

OK, OK... I'll work on it!
Darn!!

@J-Doug: nice tune you've got there. Some nice tricky bits in it.
To make it perfect I would suggest watching out for some slight speed discrepancies here and there. This is a sort of piece which requires the utmost steady and rock solid speed to work out best.
Great effort as it is, anyway. Thanks for sharing it with us all
Ibanez Ragtime 460
Daion L999
Kinkade 12Strings Custom
L. Maggi 12Strings Custom
P. Bernabe E8
H. Godvinez
Fender Dobro
HB Resonator
Baton Rouge Tricone
Ovation Celebrity
Cort L900 Parlour
Epiphone Emperor
Epiphone Sheraton 2
Fender Tele

Last edited by Picking Moose; 05-08-2013 at 03:47 AM.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:12 AM
Guest 33123

Thank you for your kind words Picking Moose! I noticed some tempo shakiness when I listened back but I wanted to go to bed so I left it!
Old 05-08-2013, 08:56 PM

Wow! It's been a week already. I didn't spend the 2 hours a day I thought I would. Well I'm learning the outro and after that comes the woodshedding. 7 days practice so I'm hoping to be through by the 25th or so. Then I'll do the recording thing to hear if I can play it without mistakes. I give myself 3 tries and if I can't play from beginning to the end I go back the practicing. When I get a recording I'll post it. This is fun!
Ibanez S5470
Taylor 516ce spruce top
Roland Electric Keyboard
Yamaha Bass
Old 05-09-2013, 01:47 AM

Day 33 (Yesterday) went like this - up at 6.00 to catch the train for London. Arrive home 7.30-ish in the evening, quick change and then walk the dog. Get back from walking the dog and set off for Accident & Ermegency at the hospital as SWMBO had slipped coming down the stairs...arrive home 2.00 in the morning. However... between walking the dog and heading to the hospital a tiny window of opportunity arose and I did manage to play through Annie about three times and spend a few minutes focusing on the one run that's still causing me most issues. Not much work in the grand scheme of things - maybe 15 mins - but at least it kept the muscle memory warm.

Today, Day 34, will be another tight one I think. But I will get some work in. I've come too close to mastering this arrangement to let it slip now...

My acoustics:
  • Tanglewood TW-60
  • 2006 Martin 000-15
  • Tanglewood TW-40
  • Furch D32-SM

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write