The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-01-2019, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

I got to finally play this guitar on Saturday morning and as much as I could thereafter. I'm always a little nervous the day I receive commissions. Though most of the luthiers I have worked with over the years have been great at delivering consistency, every new guitar is a leap of faith, and there are always unknowns about the final sound. Even luthiers like John with exceptional consistency will have some doubt about the final outcome, within some range of course.

John's task was to duplicate a Circa guitar I played at Schoenberg in every regard, but with the addition of a cutaway. Luckily for John, I've long since forgotten the details of that guitar's sound. I just remember it was exceptional. At this point it's a little irrelevant, I suppose, since an exceptional guitar is an exceptional guitar, regardless of whether is has this or that tiny nuance. I believe it's pretty darn close to that original inspiration, but I would certainly be guessing to say it's dead-on.

But without a doubt this guitar is simply exceptional. When I picked it up, I knew it was going to be loud. It has to be somewhere close to the weight of my Schoenberg (i.e. featherweight). It has a ton of volume and headroom which, I must say, is something I find really satisfying in any guitar. Because I play with picks and because I play pretty hard, I really love the feedback of a loud, responsive guitar. I get tired of guitars that flub out when I pick hard. The ultra stiff German spruce John used (and slightly taller X brace) certainly delivered what I wanted. As with my other Circas, this one is explosive on the attack and has just about as much volume as you could want.

It's evenly balanced across the spectrum. It has pronounced mids, which I like. John and I are both "mids junkies." Trebles are sparkly and brilliant and well proportioned with the mids. The bass isn't huge or anemic. It's just . . . right. I hate to say it's balanced because most people say that about new guitars, but that's the right word nevertheless.

It's a drier, more powerful guitar than my Brazilian 000-12. Where the Brazilian has overtone and touch sensitivity, the maple has a bit more heft and fundamental. The maple lends a terrific brilliance to the high mids and trebles, and the guitar absolutely shimmers . . . which is crazy because it's still new. I don't feel like it will need the break-in time that my OM required (about 30 hours, if I remember correctly). It's fantastic right out of the gate. Truly a dream guitar. Nice sustain. Nice subtle overtones. Just a beautiful, vintage voice and another Slobod heartbreaker.

Now that I've been through the process with John, he knows my setup and the kind of neck I like. It feels like "my" guitar. The 55090 EVO frets are a joy, as usual. Action and nut slot height are right where they need to be, as is the relief.

Did I mention it's perhaps the lightest guitar I own? It sits right on the lap with perfect balance. I'm glad I went with the mahogany neck. Frankly, I like the dark contrast against the white of the maple and appreciate the light weight.

After I played it, I took some time to admire the craftsmanship. There isn't a molecule on this guitar that's out of place. John is well known for his woodworking chops, and it's hard to appreciate the absurd level of precision until you see on in person.

This build just proves to me that, once again, I put my trust in the right place with John.
Old 04-01-2019, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

There ya go then....congrats
Old 04-01-2019, 01:59 PM

Awesome looking instrument with a tone to match it seems!

Congrats!!!
Old 04-01-2019, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

It sounds awesome, congratulations!!

Martin OM28 (European Spruce/EIR)
Collings OM3A (Adirondack/EIR)
Greven OOO (Lutz/Brazilian)
Greven OO (Lutz/Maple)
ARK Senorita S6-12 (Adirondack/Mahogany)
Circa OOO-12 (European Spruce/Mun Ebony)
Old 04-01-2019, 08:00 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

The scale length is too long and does not lend itself to bucephalic overtones. A
Old 04-01-2019, 09:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
The scale length is too long and does not lend itself to bucephalic overtones. A
I agree it doesn’t compete with Busyphallus in the overtime compartment.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:37 PM

This guitar is a beast and at the same time has beautiful sustain and overtones and a wonderful bloom to the sound. This guitar made me a believer in Circa guitars!
Old 04-01-2019, 10:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
This guitar is a beast and at the same time has beautiful sustain and overtones and a wonderful bloom to the sound. This guitar made me a believer in Circa guitars!
Believe, Brother B'Sox! Believe!

Here are two photos of the three Circas together. In a few months, we'll add the OM-18/21.

Old 04-02-2019, 12:02 AM

Congrats on the new Maple git!

Ever since I discovered the magic of maple, I get super excited when other people share their maple builds. Yours is no exception!

John loves working with maple and it really shows in his builds.

Play those guitars in good health!!!
Old 04-02-2019, 02:43 AM
Charter Member

Great news and great report, Juston! Congratulations!

It's a stunner in the photos, I can't even imagine how awesome it must be in person.

I played a maple Circa 000 at TAMCO once upon a time, and it almost came home with me, but I gave my heart to another instead that day. I can see why this one could be the perfect fit for your playing style, dry, ringing and LOUD! Enjoy, my friend.
1974 Alvarez/Yairi CY120
2010 Baranik Parlor
2013 Circa OM-18
2014 Claxton OM Traditional
2014 Blackbird Rider
Old 04-02-2019, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerFoodie View Post
Congrats on the new Maple git!

Ever since I discovered the magic of maple, I get super excited when other people share their maple builds. Yours is no exception!

John loves working with maple and it really shows in his builds.

Play those guitars in good health!!!
John loves working with maple, and I can see why. Very clean and transparent. I will try to play them in good health.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deft Tungsman View Post
Great news and great report, Juston! Congratulations!

It's a stunner in the photos, I can't even imagine how awesome it must be in person.

I played a maple Circa 000 at TAMCO once upon a time, and it almost came home with me, but I gave my heart to another instead that day. I can see why this one could be the perfect fit for your playing style, dry, ringing and LOUD! Enjoy, my friend.
Come on back to the Bay Area and test it out!
Old 04-06-2019, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

This is my first maple guitar. Maple seems to share a bit in common with mahogany, though the mid hump isn’t quite so pronounced. Mids and trebles have more sparkle to them and the bass is more pronounced. The response seems very even from low E to high E. It’s not clear to me how much of that is John’s building style and how much is the wood itself.

The whole guitar resonates like crazy when played, as you would expect from something built so lightly. I will try to post some sound clips soon, perhaps with some comparisons to my other Circas. I’m working on getting some better microphones.
Old 04-06-2019, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
It’s not clear to me how much of that is John’s building style and how much is the wood itself.
As you stated, this confounding factor is always the case Juston. Maple in the hands of a skilled builder who knows how to work with it, is no doubt one of the great guitar tonewoods... I’m glad to hear that you are enjoying playing your new Circa.
Old 04-06-2019, 11:17 AM

I'm still lusting for this guitar, Juston. Stunning in every way. One of my favorite guitars I've ever encountered.
Old 04-06-2019, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

Smile Yummy

I got to play this at B. I. G.

Light as a feather and super resonant! Beautiful too!!! And I enjoyed your fingerpicking a LOT!!!

Enjoy it and have FUN

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop