The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-01-2019, 11:01 PM
Charter Member

I enjoyed the movie, but also wondered why Jakob and his band were so prominent. They seemed to sincerely like the music, but it was odd that they played so much, time that could have included more archival footage. I guess we’re fortunate that he made the movie to begin with.

Regarding the Crosby movie, the preview kind of turned me off. He was halfway owning up to being a colossal jerk, but the fact that no one he had played with - like Neil Young, Stephen Stills, Graham Nash, etc. - wanted to have anything to do with him.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 11-02-2019, 04:15 AM

Sometimes history is best reflected upon by people who were actually there.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 11-02-2019, 05:33 AM
Charter Member

There is a saying that if you remember the 60s, you probably weren't there. But, then, there were probably some sober moments somewhere in all that.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 11-02-2019, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Unfortunately focusing on Crosby and or "his" generations purported lack of attributes , is a distraction from discussion on the movie itself.
Yes it is. I for one, acknowledged that when I responded to the comment.
It’s just an observation though and there’s a lot of truth there. All I said was I agreed with the “self-absorbed” part. I also said it wasn’t true of the entire generation. I just happened to have lived it and observed a lot of that.YMMV
Fair enough?
Meanwhile, back to the movie...

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 11-02-2019 at 07:31 AM.
Old 11-02-2019, 06:33 AM
Charter Member

An interesting contrast to Echo in the Canyon is David McGowan's Weird Scenes Inside the Canyon. It details the paternal connections to the military (and CIA) industrial complex that some 60s Canyon residents were singing against. Don't mean to make this political, but let's face it, 60s hippie music and politics were inextricably linked...
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 11-02-2019 at 08:32 AM.
Old 11-02-2019, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Yes it is. I for one, acknowledged that when I responded to the comment.
It’s just an observation though and there’s a lot of truth there. All I said was I agreed with the “self-absorbed” part. I also said it wasn’t true of the entire generation. I just happened to have lived it and observed a lot of that.YMMV
Fair enough?
Meanwhile, back to the movie...
Having "lived it" is not a unilateral situation.

My observations differ. Significant numbers of the "self absorbed" is a human condition, not a generational one.

While no doubt various generations are shaped by the specific times they grow up in, and thus have some differences in perspective because of being (as Grace Slick once phrased it) "We were very much creatures of our time" On the other hand much of human behavior is universal and many being self absorbed is one of them.

Fair enough?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 11-02-2019 at 09:09 AM.
Old 11-02-2019, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

My observations differ. Significant numbers of the "self absorbed" is a human condition, not a generational one.

While no doubt various generations are shaped by the specific times they grow up in, and thus have some differences in perspective because of being (as Grace Slick once phrased it) "We were very much creatures of our time" On the other hand much of human behavior is universal and many being self absorbed is one of them.

Fair enough?
Well said Kev! Very accurate observations.

I had not seen this discussion on the AGF before I stumbled onto the Laurel Canyon documentary the other night. I wasn't expecting anything monumental, so I enjoyed it. I loved being reminded of the sound of a Rickenbacker 12-string (I own one, but don't play it enough. )

My wife several times commented about Jakob Dylan not being able to sit still and having to fold his arms to sort of keep control of himself. She has worked with a lot of hyperactive elementary school children so is sensitized to all the signs.

I wondered about Joni Mitchell, but any article or documentary only touches on a wide canvas. There are only so many people available to interview. There may be other good reasons why Joni Mitchell's part in Laurel Canyon was not mentioned.

Regarding Jakob Dylan, I actually enjoyed hearing how younger performers interpreted and played some of the music we all know from the 60s. I thought it was quite interesting from a musical standpoint.

I understand that there was some self-promoting going on, but that's the music business -- or any business for that matter.

I thought it was interesting that David Crosby admitted that he had been a jerk and that's why he got kicked out of The Byrds.

I thought it was cool getting to see Tom Petty again...

- Glenn
Old 11-02-2019, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post

I thought it was interesting that David Crosby admitted that he had been a jerk and that's why he got kicked out of The Byrds...
Besides the normal mellowing that often comes with age, Croz has had more than his fair share of difficult adult experiences - suicide of his brother, imprisonment, serious drug use, liver transplant, Type II Diabetes, motorcycle accident, discovering an adult son that he didn't know - that probably led to his facing his inner, youthful demons...
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-02-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
There is a saying that if you remember the 60s, you probably weren't there. But, then, there were probably some sober moments somewhere in all that.

Tony
As a person who was there and who "gets the joke" from this famous saying, I've often thought it false. Many Sixties experiencers have lots of memories of it, enough to bore some audiences. The real "forgotten" decade is the Seventies, not only because some of the "Sixties" happened then, but because as a interval between the "Sixties" and the Eighties feels overwhelmed in memory by the decades on either side. Kind of how the Korean War era gets forgotten in American history.

I've only been able to watch the first 30 minutes or so of Echo. It sure looks like the focus is on more current artists encountering the past Laurel Canyon scene. That's a valid choice, even if it might not be the one you or I or the next person might choose. How deep will they go with that? I'll need to see the rest of film. My impression from the opening parts is that they also decided to talk about the Sixties band scene more than I might have guessed they would. That they would spend as much time in the first quarter talking about the Byrds was (IMHO) a solid choice, ditto the now largely forgotten Mamas and the Pappas. Those were savvy choices in how the scene started to develop from what I understand.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

Last edited by FrankHudson; 11-02-2019 at 10:03 AM. Reason: typos
Old 11-02-2019, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
As a person who was there and who "gets the joke" from this famous saying, I've often thought it false. Many Sixties experiencers have lots of memories of it, enough to bore some audiences. The real "forgotten" decade is the Seventies, not only because some of the "Sixties" happened then, but because as a interval between the "Sixties" and the Eighties feels overwhelmed in memory by the decades on either side. Kind of how the Korean War era gets forgotten in American history.

I've only been able to watch the first 30 minutes or so of Echo. It sure looks like the focus is on more current artists encountering the past Laurel Canyon scene. That's a valid choice, even if it might not be the one you or I or the next person might choose. How deep will they go with that? I'll need to see the rest of film. My impression from the opening parts is that they also decided to talk about the Sixties band scene more than I might have guessed they would. That they would spend as much time in the first quarter talking about the Byrds was (IMHO) a solid choice, ditto the now largely forgotten Mamas and the Pappas. Those were savvy choices in how the scene started to develop from what I understand.
The saying is said "tongue in cheek" and you have to look at it from that perspective or miss the whole point of saying it at all. I lived through most of the 50s as well (obviously) as the decades that followed. So, yes I remember the 60s even though I lived in it. I was a bit too young to go off and be a hippie, since in 1967 I was 14 and in the ensuing years, also just a bit too young (though I did end up in Vietnam in 1971-72). Growing up in Los Angeles, being a bit too young to be a "Real" hippie was a good thing because I probably would have gotten swallowed up in all that silliness and my life probably would have turned out much different. If I had been born a few years earlier, but lived in someplace far away from it such as the Midwest back then, I probably would have turned out just fine too.

The 1970s, in hindsight, turned out to have much good mainstream music that stands well as solo fingerstyle guitar pieces. At the time we were going through the 70s, I didn't realize that (though disco was an absolute travesty in my opinion and its impact on some of the music that came after is still hard to listen to with all that pounding). Leisure suits were certainly a marketing triumph, to get adult men so willing to look like used car salesmen.

I have not seen the movie, and from reading most of this thread (except for the ever positive Glennwillow), I have decided not to.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 11-02-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:

Fair enough?
I quit, you win.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 11-02-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
The 1970s, in hindsight, turned out to have much good mainstream music that stands well as solo fingerstyle guitar pieces. At the time we were going through the 70s, I didn't realize that (though disco was an absolute travesty in my opinion and its impact on some of the music that came after is still hard to listen to with all that pounding). Leisure suits were certainly a marketing triumph, to get adult men so willing to look like used car salesmen.
Little did I know how the 70s would affect my musical taste 40+ years later. I never realized that Hot Tuna was playing Reverend Gary Davis tunes or that Asleep at the Wheel was playing Bob Wills. Plus, I was Program Director of our college radio station and got to hear gobs of music from all eras, and just about every album published between 1971-75.

And perhaps that is what was happening at that time (the 70s) - experimentation was rampant and a generation incorporated old and new music together. Very few of the groups of the late 60s had the ability to stay together, they were too young and immature; yet look at the 70s groups who still tour and still have their music being played daily.

It was an amazing era to experience firsthand.
Old 11-02-2019, 02:44 PM

I watched this, and I was frankly disappointed...

Very light on archival footage and material considering everything that was going on in that time frame...far too much time spent on Jakob Dylan and his friends/band performing so-so covers...

And If I've ever seen anyone show less interest and attention than he did, while interviewing a subject, I can't remember who it was...

It's nothing I would recommend to a friend...
Old 11-02-2019, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
...I never realized that Hot Tuna was playing Reverend Gary Davis tunes or that Asleep at the Wheel was playing Bob Wills...
Funny you should say that. When I was in my teens (and later) I'd never heard of Robert Johnson. I was surprised to learn after discovering RJ that several songs by the Stones, Cream and Eric Clapton were Robert Johnson covers...
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-02-2019, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

Funny how it took the British to introduce us in the US to our own music.

But, we are collectively the better for their efforts and we owe them a debt of gratitude for setting us straight.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic