The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-21-2021, 05:18 PM

Default What's the difference between....

Hi All
Basically, what's the difference between a powered speaker and a traditional acoustic amplifier? Like this...

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...-and-bluetooth

and this...

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...m-with-battery

It would mainly be just for house parties or possibly a small church setting of 100 people or so. With an equal emphasis on the vocals as well as good sound for acoustic guitar. Thanks for any recommendations!
Old 01-21-2021, 08:01 PM

The short answer is an acoustic amplifier usually has a lot more EQ adjustment compared to a powered speaker. Just look at all the knobs on the Fishman compared to the Bose. Not that it is “better” just allows more adjustments to the over all tone. Both units you show are excellent
Old 01-22-2021, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markd85 View Post
Hi All
Basically, what's the difference between a powered speaker and a traditional acoustic amplifier?
Hi markd

Count the adjustment-knobs on each (and note what they do).

Even a basic acoustic amp will give you gain & Master volume, tone, & sometimes effects.

A more sophisticated acoustic amp will give you an XLR input with phantom power for using a condenser mic.

If I only played using a perfect pickup in a perfect room with perfect gear, I'd never need to adjust anything. Alas…I've never played in such a room.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-22-2021, 10:08 AM

This makes me think of the notion...but will it work?

A powered speaker is designed to reproduce sound that is fed into it, via whatever means, i.e. a direct mic input, a small mixer, a line level signal from an instrument. As such, the sound spectrum of the speaker system used should be relatively flat in response.

An acoustic amp is designed to reproduce the sound of an acoustic (-electric) guitar at least, and possibly an additional vocal or microphone signal. The instrument channel has circuitry designed to maximize sound quality and balance impedance levels for mid range instruments like a guitar. The mic pre on these are usually fairly basic with the eq offering some adjustment.

Could you play a guitar and use a mic through a powered speaker? Yes? But the acoustic amp is designed to do it better.

Could you patch a line level signal into an acoustic amp to reproduce sound? Yes. But the powered speaker is designed to do it better.

Could you drag race a riding mower? Yes. But a racecar would do it better.

To the OP, for your needs I recommend a small mixer with onboard effects and a powered speaker (to start with). As your needs grow, so can your system.
Old 01-22-2021, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

Acoustic guitar amplifiers fall short, with a few exceptions, for vocal applications IMHO. My Carvin AG 300 is an exception, having three drivers in it. It will fill any room I'm likely to play. But a powered speaker is a viable and more flexible option. That and a pre amp or mixer will do the job, and you can build a small PA for larger or outdoor gigs. QSC speakers rock.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 01-22-2021, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
Could you play a guitar and use a mic through a powered speaker? Yes? But the acoustic amp is designed to do it better.
Maybe, but my experience is that price point for price point, powered speakers tend to sound much better, even if you factor in the $250 or so that you'll pay for a pedal to replicate the tonal flexibility the amp offers. I tried a bunch of the Fishman and Fender acoustic amps, and they all sounded clangy and cheap to me, no matter what I did with the knobs. A Baggs Para DI through a QSC K10.2 sounds *so* much better, to my ears at least. Maybe an AER or a Mesa would have fared better in that comparison, but now you're paying a lot more.
Martin D12X1AE
LaPatrie CW Concert
Old 01-22-2021, 04:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightchef View Post
Maybe, but my experience is that price point for price point, powered speakers tend to sound much better
This has also been my experience, and substantially so from my view. I have had several amps through that sounded decent and were acceptable. But nothing I was ever truly satisfied with. I finally got rid of of my amps and quit trying. A mixer with any of my powered speakers with a pedal or two between them blows any amp I have tried out of the water.
Old 01-23-2021, 07:33 AM

Thanks to everyone for all the advice. It's alot to consider when you're an old guy with little to no experience.
IF I went the powered speaker route, probably the Bose S1 pro, Would a TC helicon Play Acoustic provide the proper tone control for both the guitar and vocal without buying a mixer? Would that sound better overall than the TC Helicon paired with a Loudbox Artist? I'm kinda on a <1k budget here. Thanks so much for the help.
Mark
Old 01-23-2021, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Thanks to everyone for all the advice. It's alot to consider when you're an old guy with little to no experience.
IF I went the powered speaker route, probably the Bose S1 pro, Would a TC helicon Play Acoustic provide the proper tone control for both the guitar and vocal without buying a mixer? Would that sound better overall than the TC Helicon paired with a Loudbox Artist? I'm kinda on a <1k budget here. Thanks so much for the help.
Mark
A qsc cp8 and a helix stomp.
But if you sing a small mixer would be a better first
Investment rather than the stomp.
Old 01-23-2021, 08:02 AM

Quote:

Mark

I own or have owned all 3 components mentioned here, the S1, the Artist and the Play Acoustic. My thoughts:

With the S1 you get simplicity and a pure, pristine sound without a lot of options (which can be good sometimes).

With the Artist, you have much more flexibility with the ability to 'dial-in' a room or space but may take some tinkering.

I think adding the Play Acoustic in front of either would take some noodling and you may or may not like the result. My guess is, you would have more success and consistency using that with the S1.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification