The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Harp Guitar

Old 08-27-2012, 09:48 PM

Default Harp guitar enthusiast

Hello gang. I just joined the AGF and have been enjoying reading all these posts. I just started on harp guitar in earnest this year and love it. Learned Hedges Beacause It's There and wrote a tune titled Channeling Micheal. Ha ha. Working on the Double Planet and an Andy Bacon tune called Full Circle. Can play Andy McKee's the Friend I've Never Met. Any of you freaks out there playing this stuff?

Got a Holloway Model 5 and think its a real clunker. It's one of their prototypes so I'm sure they have worked out their sound board and finger board issues by now. Simply said, it sounds terrible unamplified. However, Deiter at K and K Trinity made a pickup for it that rocks! It's a custom piezo for the subs and contact pick ups for the guitar. You can blend them separately with a 2 channel preamp. I believe Andy McKee and Antione Dufour are using a similar set up. Anyway, I'm convinced Deiter can make a 2x4 sound great with one of his systems!

Duane Noble is about to ship me a new one which we're very excited about!

Please offer thoughts on pick ups and builders. Thank you!
Old 08-28-2012, 08:11 AM

Welcome to the nuthouse JB! From your site it looks like you're pretty close to the Hedges resources. Hopefully, if I could ever afford a HG, (after another guitar that's on my wish list), I can delve into some Hedges material, (especially BIT). I have to say he's probably my main influence.

Feel free to IM me as to your feelings about the Holloway 5. I was kind of looking that direction if a couple of local luthier options didn't pan out. Glad to see the K&K solution worked well for that end of things. I just put a K&K in my Lowden this spring and it really helped the sound for my first gig this month. Yeah, I'm sold on K&K.

Again, welcome!
-jay

PS. All that alt tuning stuff... lol, a player after my own heart! :-)
'98 SRV Fender Stratocaster
Old 08-28-2012, 09:02 AM

Hey Jay thanks! Wow you're a Lowden guy? I'm actually sitting on my front porch waiting for Fed Ex to deliver a Claro Walnut/Cedar F-50 from Northern Ireland! Like a kid at Christmas or an expectant father. Not sure which

So what Hedges tunes do you play? Right now I play Layover, Eleven Small Roaches, Ragamuffin and BIT. Next up are the plecka tunes: Jitterboogie, Ritual Dance and Oracle. Are you using James Roosa's Rootwitch site for spartan tabs?

Since I'm brand new at this I don't know how to IM you. Tips?

Thanks again.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:29 AM

I don't own a Harp Guitar but I enjoy and appreciate hearing them played ... I have listened to Hedges for years and miss his creative spirit ... sounds like you guys are learning some good tunes (and I know for sure that ericsong can play some Hedges) ... have you ever heard of William Eaton? He makes and plays many different Harp Guitars. His music is more New Age-y but some of his work with Carlos Nakai (Native American Flute) is beautiful IMO ...

For some very simple demos of original music: https://soundcloud.com/rick-langdon

-- Play on!!
Old 08-29-2012, 01:55 PM
AGF Sponsor

Interesting. I really like my Model 5, it sounds & plays nicely. I wish they'd had the ebony fretboard option in the beginning, but that's a minor detail.

I play original material except when I'm sitting in with a band. I might pick up phrases that I like and try to incorporate them into my own work, but I figure it's easier to turn on the stereo if you want to hear what someone else has done

"I'd think learning to play the guitar would be very confusing for sighted people." -- Doc Watson
Old 08-29-2012, 05:53 PM

Default Harp guitars...!!!!

Hi Guys,

I discovered the harp guitar about 3 years ago. In my opinion, the ultimate resource is Gregg Minor at “Harpguitars.net.” (http://www.harpguitars.net/)

Gregg is affectionately known as the “Harp Guitar Pope.” He has done some serious research on documenting the history of the harp guitar. The web site is rich with links to articles, players, instruments for sale, and builders all over the world.

Every year they have a harp guitar “Gathering.” The location changes every year and this year it is in Texas. It is well worth it. For two days you can go to lectures and talk to top players like Muriel Anderson and John Doan. There is also a concert Saturday night and Sunday matinee.

You can also talk to luthiers who are there ready to take your order!!

I met Duane Noble two years ago at the Indiana Gathering. He is a really nice guy and makes beautiful instruments.

Please feel free to email me if you find yourself looking for more information.
[email protected]

As for myself, I have been looking into having a harp guitar built for me soon.

Hope to see you at one of the gatherings!!

Michael
________
Martin Custom Size 5
Custom Finocchio Nylon
Baby Taylor Hog
Old 10-11-2018, 05:46 PM

Is anyone attending the Harp Guitar Gathering in CT this weekend?
Barb
Old 10-14-2018, 11:18 AM

My first one — It’s fantastic!

Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Old 10-14-2018, 06:03 PM

Hi J3ffrO,
I was there too. It was a very nice gathering. I had a good time.
Barb

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Harp Guitar