The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-25-2021, 09:35 AM

If you are pumping a bass through the PA, go with 12" over 10" due to low end frequency response.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 01-25-2021, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarwebguy View Post
So I’m almost to the point of buying a pair of QSC CP12s to use with my Yamaha MG12XUK mixer. Since I’ve never used QSC’s is the extra $ worth it if I chose k10.2s instead? Our trio is mandolin, guitar/banjo, upright bass/banjo/tenor guitar and all 3 of us sing. The other thing I’m curious about is who you would recommend as a vendor. TIA
If your hobby is equipment carting, then two K12.2.

If your hobby is audiophile stuff, then you'll need a subwoofer too.

If your hobby is music, then one or two CP8s. At 21 lbs they have absolutely no peer.

Here is a single CP8 in action doing bass guitar about 1/3 of the time...
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 01-26-2021, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

Happy owner of a CP-8, sound-wise it's excellent. Compares to my Schertler Jam 400 in quality of sound. And way more totable.
Old 01-30-2021, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

I'm no sound expert, but I bought 2 QSC K12 and 1 K10 a few years ago.

The 12s I use as mains; the 10 as monitor or as a third main sometimes.

I've hosted a weekly open mic for a few years (up until March 2020) and have always gotten lots of comments both from listeners and the musicians themselves on how good the system sounds. When a musician who plays a lot on their own or other systems is excited about how I "make them sound," I'm happy at the choice of speakers. I got them on the advice of someone who builds high end recording studios where big names lay down their tracks. Knowing nothing, I'm glad for the guidance and have never had a regret.

When I perform solo or as a duet with two acoustic guitars and vocals, I am very pleased at how natural and clean it all sounds.

Off topic and FWIW, I use a Behringer xr18 mixer. The wireless interface means that at open mics, I can sit anywhere and sip a beer while running sound. Beats having to run to stage and back and back to stage again to tweak. Uninterrupted beer time is good. And the software interface is a great conversation piece ... folks love to see it in action.
Old 01-30-2021, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Off topic and FWIW, I use a Behringer xr18 mixer. The wireless interface means that at open mics, I can sit anywhere and sip a beer while running sound. Beats having to run to stage and back and back to stage again to tweak. Uninterrupted beer time is good. And the software interface is a great conversation piece ... folks love to see it in action.
We use the Xair 16. I was very nervous about getting it, buts been rock solid for years now. We put it (3u) and a 1u power strip in a shallow rack and voila! Snake and power in one box.
Old 01-30-2021, 11:12 AM

It’s funny, I have the QSC TouchMix and I hardly ever get a chance to use the wireless mixing options. I really need to get into that more. I guess one good thing is, it proves that even a digital interface like the TouchMix is super easy to dial in by hand. I remember that being a concern at first due to the lack of knobs but it’s very easy to navigate.
Old 01-30-2021, 12:13 PM

I came very close to getting a touch mix but I didn’t like the UI. The Xair is better, I think, but still less than ideal.
Old 01-30-2021, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmichael View Post
I'm no sound expert, but I bought 2 QSC K12 and 1 K10 a few years ago.
Off topic and FWIW, I use a Behringer xr18 mixer.
Another vote for QSC's and an XR18! I have two K10.2s for mains and a CP8 as a monitor. Perhaps I should have gone with K8s instead of K10s but unless you push them the K10.2s still sound pretty good. It makes for a pretty modular system--I can plug into the CP8 w/o mixer at all if needed, just use one K10 with the mixer, or do a whole band with the full setup.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification