The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-24-2021, 01:26 PM

Default How to Hook up Keyboard in Stereo

My rig: Yamaha MOD X6, one RCF TT10, Mackie PROFX12 V3 mixer
Since I'm running only one speaker and RCF has only one input, I am running a splitter cable from the mixer into the TT10. From the main outs dual XLR female to single XLR male to TT10. This set up sums to mono.
From the keyboard I am running dual 1/4 " TS Left and Right, to the mixer single 1/4" TRS into channel. Sounds great.

My question: To get stereo sound should I use two separate TS 1/4" cables from Left and Right from the keyboard? I'm thinking it won't matter since my mains are summed to mono anyway.
I know this an acoustic guitar forum but I know alot of you have experience with mixers.
Old 01-24-2021, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wweiss View Post
My rig: Yamaha MOD X6, one RCF TT10, Mackie PROFX12 V3 mixer
Since I'm running only one speaker and RCF has only one input, I am running a splitter cable from the mixer into the TT10. From the main outs dual XLR female to single XLR male to TT10. This set up sums to mono.
From the keyboard I am running dual 1/4 " TS Left and Right, to the mixer single 1/4" TRS into channel. Sounds great.

My question: To get stereo sound should I use two separate TS 1/4" cables from Left and Right from the keyboard? I'm thinking it won't matter since my mains are summed to mono anyway.
I know this an acoustic guitar forum but I know alot of you have experience with mixers.

The Mod x6 already sums its stereo signal to mono anyway providing you only connect using the Left (mono) output. As soon as a cable is connected to the Right output then both outputs revert to being separate parts of the stereo out signal.

It’s already done the job for you in other words, making your setup just a little bit simpler!
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 01-24-2021, 05:30 PM

'Nuff said.

There is sometimes value (smallish gigs) in taking one output to a monitor facing the audience and the other going to PA for chorus type effects. At other times stereo effects are less, um, effective in the real world than one might imagine so it's always considering not bothering with it.

Last edited by shufflebeat; 01-24-2021 at 05:37 PM.
Old 01-25-2021, 09:39 AM

You don't need to use a 'joiner' (splitter) for your mixer outputs to the single speaker. Just make sure all the mixer channel pan (left-right) knobs are set either centered or to the left (assuming you use just the left main output).

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 01-25-2021, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wweiss View Post
To get 'stereo sound' you would need a second RCF TT10 and run separate left and right audio signals to each speaker. The channels on the mixer that have the keyboard would be panned left and right.
A stereo setup for an audience may not work well as people nearest a left or right speaker may hear the speaker they are nearest to louder than the further away speaker. People centered in front of two speakers would hear both speakers equally and benefit the most from stereo.
Old 01-25-2021, 10:54 AM

WWeiss

Thanks for posting. I'm a total newbie to the world of keyboard. Just purchased a Roland Juno DS. Was close to going with a Yamaha MODX. How do you like yours so far?
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 01-25-2021, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
You don't need to use a 'joiner' (splitter) for your mixer outputs to the single speaker.
It's not only unnecessary, it's a bad idea. Summing two audio signals is not a job for a cable. There's a reason why they call it a "splitter" and not a "combiner".

Here's a thread where preamp guru Dan Kennedy gives a quick explanation of why this is:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/geek...l-y-cable.html
Martin D12X1AE
LaPatrie CW Concert
Old 01-27-2021, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF_48 View Post
To get 'stereo sound' you would need a second RCF TT10 and run separate left and right audio signals to each speaker. The channels on the mixer that have the keyboard would be panned left and right.
...unless you're using a separate monitor in which case a useful stereo effect can be set up between monitor/PA as above.

Quote:
A stereo setup for an audience may not work well as people nearest a left or right speaker may hear the speaker they are nearest to louder than the further away speaker. People centered in front of two speakers would hear both speakers equally and benefit the most from stereo.
This is certainly true for a stereo mix of panned elements in which case something panned left won't be heard by someone standing beside the RH speaker but a single element with dual sources can be interesting, albeit unpredictable.
Old 01-27-2021, 02:09 PM

Tahitijack
I love the Yamaha MODX! Endless banks of sounds. What sold me were the rhythm tracks and how you can tailor them to your keyboard track. Again endless rhythm tracks-still haven't gone through all of them.
Old 01-29-2021, 02:37 AM

Often, keyboard presets are mapped very lefty-righty, with the low notes favored to the left and the high notes on the right. This can sound okay in a stereo onstage amp setup, but coming out of a PA it can sound stupid. And for it to sound normal in the house, left and right have to be flipped in the mains, so when you hit a low note onstage you’ll hear it coming from the left in the monitors but from the right in the mains. Something to be aware of when considering whether to let the house mixer have mono or stereo.

Couch Standards

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification