The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-09-2019, 09:42 AM

Default First song you learned that wowed you?

Hope this is the right area for this.

Just wondering as a beginner, that was the first "hard" (for your abilities) song you learned and that once you got it down pat, amazed you at how much you had progressed?

Mine was Reckless by Aaron Watson. The verses were super easy. Nothing but G over and over and over. The chorus was tough. It very quickly goes from D-Em-C-G-Em-C-D-Em-Am-G-D-Am-D and back to G for the verse.

I'm still a beginner, but once I was able to play the chorus almost effortlessly, it absolutely amazed me.
Old 12-09-2019, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

I don’t know that wowed is the word to describe it in my case, but when I started playing guitar many moons ago I taught myself “Kathy’s Song” by Paul Simon. Learning it by ear from the “stereo”.
Taught me a lot, especially that playing better guitar is mostly about the control hand, in my case the right.
Learning that one tune turned on a lot of lights for me.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 12-09-2019, 11:17 AM

Right now I’m working on Here Comes the Sun. I’ve got the eight bar intro figured out, but I can still only get through it perfectly maybe twenty percent of the time. It’s really fun playing something that pulls the melody out of the chords instead of just strumming away. I’m also working through David Hamburger’s Thirty Blues Fingerstyle Licks You Must Know. I’m finding that learning the steady bass style is really helpful to the kind of flat picking that happens in the Beatles song.
1990 Guild GF30 Bld Maple Archback
Alvarez AP66
Baby Taylor
G&L ASAT Tribute T-style
Old 12-09-2019, 09:19 PM

Way back when in college I taught myself the Don McLean Castles in the Air/Three Fights Up mash up from his Live Solo album. I was an accomplished Travis picker early but I remember figuring this thing out as a real effort. It was a great song to play in the ubiquitous Coffee houses back then.

Can still play it but can’t remember all the words! (Hate that!)
Old 12-09-2019, 11:06 PM

Has to be Stairway To Heaven. I learned it soon after came out. In 1972 it was still a fresh new, great song by a great band.

Last edited by DenverSteve; 12-10-2019 at 08:39 AM.
Old 12-10-2019, 04:01 AM

For me, it would be guitar instrumental tunes, not "songs" as such. My favourite songs were always pretty simple ones, at least at the beginning (Dylan, blues, folk, etc).
My source of accomplishment in the early days was fingerstyle guitar - e.g., getting Angie worked out, and various other tracks on Bert Jansch's debut LP. Also ragtime pieces, mostly from Stefan Grossman records (Dallas Rag, Delia, etc). And of course, Dylan's fancier guitar tunes like Don't Think Twice and Girl of the North Country. And Donovan. (Hey it was the 1960s...)

I.e., for me, there was a distinction between "songs" (lyrics, melody, chord sequence) and "guitar technique", which only applied to certain specific songs or instrumentals. I was into songwriting as much as guitar playing, but learning those songs wasn't hard at all. It was the fingerstyle guitar that presented the exciting and satisfying challenges.

I still wouldn't say the emotion I had at the time was "wow", or amazement at how well I'd done. Naturally I'd be pleased with myself, but I'd be moving on to something else, just enjoying the whole process.
Old 12-10-2019, 05:04 AM

Dust In The Wind by Kansas for me. I am still amazed that I am able to play it now. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Furch Blue OM-SW
Old 12-10-2019, 05:46 AM
Charter Member

The tune that awakened me to the world of flat picking acoustic guitar was Big Sciota off of Bryan Sutton's 'Not To Far From The Tree'.

That whole album is a lesson in flat picking duets.

D
Old 12-10-2019, 08:35 AM
Charter Member

Mine was "Deal" by Jerry Garcia/Robert Hunter.

It had a couple of extra chords than the other tunes I knew, and a shuffle rhythm. When I nailed run in the intro I felt like maybe I was getting somewhere! It still play it often, several decades later
Old 12-10-2019, 08:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamHinson View Post
Hope this is the right area for this.

Just wondering as a beginner, that was the first "hard" (for your abilities) song you learned and that once you got it down pat, amazed you at how much you had progressed?

Mine was Reckless by Aaron Watson. The verses were super easy. Nothing but G over and over and over. The chorus was tough. It very quickly goes from D-Em-C-G-Em-C-D-Em-Am-G-D-Am-D and back to G for the verse.

I'm still a beginner, but once I was able to play the chorus almost effortlessly, it absolutely amazed me.
Hi AH

Sounds Of Silence (Simon & Garfunkel) in 1964 - cool fingerstyle intro-lick & chord progressions
I Started A Joke (Bee Gees) in 1968 - fingerstyle arpeggiated all the way through
Fire and Rain (James Taylor) in 1970 - fingerstyle

I was a singer and there were no guitarists around who wanted to play while I sang, so I learned guitar. It was the end of the folk era and I was gaining control of my fingers.

All three of the ones I listed were songs which I played and sang at the same time and each marked a level of skill increase for me.

I found a gigging partner and we sang at Folk Gatherings, Bars, and Hoot-e-nanny concerts for $$$ as well as I was called upon to play simple accompaniment for our college choir and campus Madrigal concerts.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-10-2019, 09:37 AM

Wish You Were Here.
Learned a simple version early on and it was a real confidence booster.

Roll in my Sweet Baby's Arms.
My first flatpicking/Carter style song.
Old 12-10-2019, 06:46 PM

Mood For A Day (Steve Howe). I learned it by ear and it was a huge milestone at the time.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 12-10-2019, 07:51 PM

"Stew Ball"!!
Fall of '66......never played guitar before and now I'm Kinda doing this song. It was the moment I realized maybe I could do something with this guitar thing after all. I think it was the Em chord which did a little thing with a 6th (high e third fret?).....and then that D chord dropping off to a D sus, I believe. Got me all excited!!! LOL!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 12-10-2019, 08:21 PM

Aura Lee, picking out the melody
Roll In My Sweet Baby's Arms, alternate picking and strumming
Billy In The Lowground, flat pick simple version of both parts
Old 12-10-2019, 08:24 PM

It wasn't the first song I played, but the first one I Learned fingerstyle was Dust In The Wind by Kansas... turned out so beautiful that I still play it today

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write