The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 03-22-2019, 10:08 PM

Default Archtop Case

Have searched the Internet, this forum, various music stores, pawn shops, etc and can't locate any used archtop cases. In fact, haven't found a lot of new ones.

Anyone aware of any internet sites that deal in a variety of guitar cases?
I'm not close to any music stores. I get over to St Louis every now and again. (2 1/2 hours). I've contacted the Guitar Centers in St Louis.

Not looking for anything fancy. In fact this guitar won't leave the house, I just want something inexpensive to keep it in and protect it from getting too dry or humid in addition to a dehumidifier in the guitar.

Would a gig bag be sufficient climate protection with a dehumidifier in the guitar?
Old 03-23-2019, 12:06 AM

Would be helpful to know the length and bout width. Also how much you were thinking about spending. There are lots of good choices starting around the $200 mark. Not sure what's out there for less than that. You might also check on the jazz guitar forums for options.
Old 03-23-2019, 03:45 AM
Charter Member

You know those new Epiphone "pretend" archtops?
They don't sell them with the cases which are sold separately.

I got an Eastman 16" last year in the real heavy fibreglass (?) case.

I ordered an Epiphone case which firs perfectly.
Old 03-23-2019, 06:20 AM

I got a TKL case a short while ago, around $135 for what I thought was an excellent hardshell case, but not a "travel" case - airline proof. Just car trunk proof My 17" archtops fit into an old 17" jumbo flat-top case just fine.
Old 03-23-2019, 07:24 AM

Check archtop.com and Elderly - and as Spook said, have the measurements handy when you do...
Old 03-23-2019, 08:58 AM

Default Guitar Size

Its 41 x 16.5 x 12 x 4. No cutaway. Thanks all. This is just to keep it in. It won't leave the house.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:59 AM

BTW it's 46 Gretsch
Old 03-23-2019, 10:45 AM

And, under $100.
Old 03-23-2019, 12:44 PM

I’ll check dimensions of the guitar.

I may have something....

Is it rounder or squarer lower bout?
Old 03-23-2019, 01:12 PM

Round. 41 x 16.5 x 12 x 4
Old 03-24-2019, 10:23 AM

The case I have would be a bit snug at the lower bout - it is a shade over 17”, and the foam on the sides would be compressed to 1/4” or so.

That said it is 4” deep (flat face, not arched) and quite long enough.
Old 03-24-2019, 03:25 PM

I appreciate the help. I found one online that was reasonably priced and sufficient for what I need.

Last edited by ozarkmac; 03-24-2019 at 03:26 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-02-2019, 08:07 AM

Default Update

The one I found online was misrepresented in terms of interior dimensions. The company whom will remain anonymous quickly sent me a shipping label and will provide full refund. I don't want to slander this otherwise great company.

I was in St Louis over the weekend and was not able to find one under $350. Most were used vintage and they were priced based on their "vintage" properties which I do not need.

I decided to play it as safe as possible through online sources and found one that based on the cited internal dimensions should work. I say "safe" because it is through Walmart. I am having it delivered for free to my local Walmart who will provide a full refund if it doesn't fit.

Didn't even know Walmart carried musical instruments/accessories until it popped up on a Google search. Anyway, I'll update this thread when I receive it. Supposed to arrive on Friday.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:00 AM

Default I have same problem, hard to find a case

I cannot find a case for my "new" 30's kalamazoo kg-21. I tried posting here and not even a response. Mine is a unusual size being almost 6" think with the archtop and back and bridge, but only a 14 1/2 lower bout. MY problem is I live in desert and hard to keep it humidified in the old vintage chipboard case that fits it now, having to keep extra sponge humidifiers and replace the bovida pouches often. Let me know if you find a solution?
Old 04-18-2019, 09:08 PM

If the guitar will not leave the house, why not to consider a gig bag ? Most dreadnought gig bags will fit your archtop, and there are some that are very well padded and protective.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops