The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-20-2018, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfreggie View Post
This may sound corney to some, but my other 3 passions other than guitar is my wife, my recovery from alcoholism 28 years ago, and my church family. I have many other interests that I love, like baseball and reading positive encouraging books, but you get my drift I think
You have 3 great passions.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:27 AM

The ADD runs strong with me. Here are things I've thrown myself into since I started developing my hobbyist identity around age 24:

-Classical piano -- played with an orchestra once

-Piano tuning -- made decent money for a couple years

-Guns -- oh lordy, so many. learned every last thing i could, from plinkers to silenced long range plinkers.

-Slingshots -- my biggest rabbit hole. designed a new frame and belt clip, learned CAD and waterjet, built a shop, learned all sorts of laminate techniques. www.flatcatslingshots.com if you're curious. got super deep into 3D design through all that.

-Watches -- almost equally deep rabbit hole. spend horrible amount of time and money learning and buying. rebuilt a couple. all mechanical.

-Gemstones -- bought a faceting machine and taught myself how to facet gemstones. made a ton of jewelry. designed the ring (in CAD) and cut the stone for my wife's engagement ring. only learned a little silversmithing, never had a proper shop to do torch work.

-Bullwhips -- learned how to make proper kangaroo whips -- they're surprisingly complex. cutting a 25 foot strand of leather so it tapers from 10mm to 3mm is an interesting skill.

-Guitar/singing/songwriting -- currently halfway through writing a rock opera.

-Photo/video -- used to take a lot of photos when we went exploring abandoned buildings. tried very hard to make a few short art films but it's orders of magnitude more difficult than you'd think to do even a very short film well.

I bike and build lamps out of industrial pipe and play drums and draw comics and a bunch of other half-formed hobbies too, but I think those are the bulk. once hung all my friend's furniture upside down from his ceiling for april fools. i'm a radiologist in my spare time.

Last edited by byudzai; 10-23-2018 at 04:41 AM.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:17 AM

Last edited by unimogbert; 03-07-2023 at 07:45 PM.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unimogbert View Post
One would be a pretty unusual human being to have only a single passion thoughout their life.

I cycle thru my interests over time.

Just rekindled my recurring interest in ham radio after it being dormant, though not dead, for about 20 years. Things there have changed a bit in 20 years.
If you get some old fart named John in Liberty, Texas on that ham, it's probably my dad. Tell him his son said hello. He lives on that thing, I didn't even know there were ham competitions. LOL. He does that too.

I forgot to add that I was building and flying my own aerial camera quadcopters. I stopped short of FPV racing, but I do have FPV on my ships. They're fun and I have used them for my work to map out jobs sites.

Last edited by Johnny K; 10-23-2018 at 10:49 AM.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:57 AM

no. ukes, keyboards, vocals, harp and bass. also, repair guitar amps.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 10-23-2018, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

I tend to be a serial obsessive. One thing at a time (or two if they're not really competing for the same time), but really big into it. In my late teens through mid-20s it was guitar with a few years shared by skiing. Also for a couple years in college, photography was a really big thing, but that was mostly course-work at the time, not a hobby. Then for several years I was pretty obsessive about trading and collecting live concert tapes, mostly but not exclusively Grateful Dead - this was something I could do in my limited spare time between a busy work life and busy family life. Then I got overwhelmingly into bicycling, bicycle collecting, bicycle mechanics, the whole bit. That last about 20 years. Then when my body started putting limits on that, it was back into photography really heavily for about 6-7 years, relearning the whole digital technology part of it from the ground up, but still having a decent eye. I'm actually a good photographer - good enough that I got kind of bored as I was past the "daily challenge" phase and I knew I could turn work at a reasonably high level if I put in the time. So I actually got bored and that phased out just in time to get....

...WAAAAAAAY back into playing guitar! From my late 20s through my late 50s I always had an electric and an acoustic around the house, but I almost never played them. Only a couple times in those 30 years did I even start to get enough callouses so that it wasn't horribly painful to pick up an acoustic. But then I got way into it again, and I'm about two years in. While I'm probably playing better now than I ever did, or at least I'm getting more versatile at being extremely mediocre, I'm basically just not very talented musically. So I really have to put the time in. But I've always loved being able to make music, limited as I may be, more than any of my other non-athletic hobbies. And I don't think I'll EVER get good enough at it to get bored with it, like I did with photography. I'd put in enough time to probably get to be about 80-90% as good as I could ever be at photography, and I knew to get at that last 10-20% of my potential would take waaaaay too much time for the relatively modest rewards. I just don't see that happening with guitar. I suspect it'll always be challenging as all get-out for me. So I'm hoping this is a lifetime thing. I've got plenty of time for it now and I've got my gear re-established with three electrics and two acoustics that I like a LOT, after quite a bit of experimentation... So, hopefully in it for as long as my fingers and brain work, which hopefully will be another couple of decades or more...

-Ray
Old 10-23-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
no. ukes, keyboards, vocals, harp and bass. also, repair guitar amps.

play music!
Similar to what I was saying earlier. My obsession/hobby has been 90% music over the years, but even the instruments I play and music I am into making and listening to compete with each other.

Just last weekend I spent Saturday recording some electronic bizarro music created from field recordings of insects and frogs, electric bass and synth through a bunch of effects pedals, then spent Sunday divided between playing old jazz standards and rags on the ukulele and learning centuries-old British folk tunes on the guitar.

Schizophrenia. But a good, fun kind to have!

- John Shedd
Old 10-23-2018, 02:43 PM

As far as other musical interests, I also play drums. I've been building and repairing amps, guitars, and related electronic items for a few years, specializing in tube circuitry repair and design.

Non musical? I dabble in photography, and I'm a pretty avid mountain biker. This year I've ridden in Bellingham, Whistler, St George, and was in Moab earlier this month. Just topped the 100,000 vertical foot mark for this year recently as well, so yeah I guess I ride a fair bit.

Couple of pics below from Moab with my local MTB club. A few of the more experienced of us rode Porcupine Rim and had a great time when it wasn't hailing on us.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 10-23-2018, 02:46 PM

Nope. I'm passionate about J-Lo too. If she'd only leave A-Rod, we could start our next chapter together...
Old 10-24-2018, 04:00 AM

I'm spreading myself too thin at the moment with three hobbies on the go.
Music has always been a part of my life, but up until three years ago it had been on the back burner.
Now, I'm performing fairly regularly, and getting some recognition for it.
This is me getting ready to perform at the Tasmanian Independent Country Music Awards

Hobby #2 is the Bass Trombone, which was actually my first music instrument, much to my parents disgust since they were hoping I'd follow in my Dad's footsteps into Country Music, which, as you can see above eventually happened.
Here I am going through solo rehearsal at Easter time prior to competing in the Australian National Band Championships.

And lastly, after more than 10yrs of having a break, but needing to do something to get myself active again, I returned to martial arts.
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 10-26-2018, 02:15 AM

Guitar, Climbing, Coding, Writing. The climbing and other exercise if fairly easy to squeeze in and something necessary to keep me feeling myself, but the guitar and writing compete with each other for my time. My main issue at the moment is tiredness after work and being able to push myself to do one or the other once I get home.
Old 10-30-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintj View Post
As far as other musical interests, I also play drums. I've been building and repairing amps, guitars, and related electronic items for a few years, specializing in tube circuitry repair and design.

Non musical? I dabble in photography, and I'm a pretty avid mountain biker. This year I've ridden in Bellingham, Whistler, St George, and was in Moab earlier this month. Just topped the 100,000 vertical foot mark for this year recently as well, so yeah I guess I ride a fair bit.

Couple of pics below from Moab with my local MTB club. A few of the more experienced of us rode Porcupine Rim and had a great time when it wasn't hailing on us.

I just returned from Moab a few weeks ago. I’ve been a pretty serious MTB rider/racer for the past 28 years. One of the first times I ever rode Porcupine Rim (1992 ?) we stopped at the overlook and I saw someone running up the trail, I thought to myself that they must either be crazy or just some sort of Uber athlete. Fast forward to 2018 and I set a goal of running the Rim self supported and non-stop. It seemed like great idea from the comfort of a barstool while fortified with beer. I’m proud to say that I pulled it off - 32.5 miles and nearly 7 hrs later.
Old 10-30-2018, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

Nice! I have to get to Moab sooner or later.
Old 10-30-2018, 10:37 AM

Huge pics, but that doesn't diminish their beauty. Despite going OTB in my driveway during a fork check on my old MTB I'd love to add that to my bucket list. Hopefully I heal back to at least 95%. I also need to learn how to tuck and roll!

In the meantime, there's an organized ride along the Florida Keys I'd love to do as well. I suspect there are different hazards on that route!
Old 10-30-2018, 11:43 AM

Well, this thread has inspired me to pull my 2007 Specialized Stumpjumper off the garage wall and take it out. I live in Southern California and we've got some great trails. I love the smell of the sage and outdoors while on the trail. Unfortunately (?) I have OCD when it comes to gear - be it guitars, golf clubs, fishing gear, bikes. With one kid in college and another about to start I don't need to start obsessing about $4000 + bikes. LOL. Just enjoy what I have!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic