The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-18-2018, 03:17 PM

Used to love sailing, canoeing, windsurfing and anything water related but back trouble made these difficult.

Always liked making things - especially recycling scrap into something useful.

YouTube
Old 10-18-2018, 03:39 PM

My biggest passion is thinking.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:02 PM

i love photography and i work on guitar and audio amps because i have so many. also, moderate 3.3 mile walk every day and trying to stay healthy and wise--no wealth at all.
play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 10-18-2018, 05:07 PM

Songwriting, cycling, reading and hockey (watching, not playing).

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 10-18-2018, 05:16 PM

Into guitar now for 45 years, though my interest was reinvigorated after discovering the AGF while recovering from an extremely bad, nearly fatal skiing accident. No longer ski since my first foray after the accident was another accident. So, after 40+ years, snow skiing is out.

I’m a beach guy-fortunate to have a beach house-and bought a nice fishing boat several years ago. That keeps me engaged and active for 6 months a year. Gave up golf when I bought the boat but recently got the golf bug back. So maybe golf is back in.

I’m about 3 1/2 years out from retirement, maybe less, and looking to ratchet up activities. I’ve been toying with fly fishing, taking up the piano again, sailing...not sure.

Still love to read. Have to get off the darned iPad as its stolen some of my life. That and Netflix!

Passion is a funny thing. I still have passion for my wife. No half life there.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:21 PM

Besides guitar/music, I was really into cars and motorcycling. Had to put these aside because they were a real drain in my bank account. My newfound passion (well nearly 5 years into it) is Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. It has been life changing from losing nearly 50 pounds to being in the best physical shape I’ve ever been. And I’m 43.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:46 PM

Hmmm... passionate about everything guitar - electric, acoustic, building, playing from acoustic ballads to heavy metal. Still have a nice collection of 80s Kramers, many which I posted at the Electric Guitar forum. I probably have enough electric guitar parts to build another 10 complete guitars - it's a never ending sickness.

The guitar building passion also spawns other passions, such as tools and knowledge gathering. But the most cash-draining is my wood acquisition syndrome. Because every guitar builder has to buy a remarkable piece of wood, before the other guy buys it!

Aside from that, I've renewed my interest in golf, and have taken it more seriously the past couple years. I've also taken interest in the many methods of teaching and the many styles, and even into club fitting and club building. Despite my height (I'm 5'5") I have a knack for hitting the ball pretty darn far, easily out-driving everyone I play with.

I'm still passionate about cycling, and more specifically mountain biking. But it's tough not have others that share that love, so been doing more dirt and paved trails. Probably not as enjoyable as I cannot utilize my full-suspension bike, but it still gets me out there. I actually prefer to go this time of year when the air is crisper.

My latest "passion" I suppose is with my renewed dedication to my health. After dropping this weight I've been carrying for probably 8 years (the equivalent of almost four bowling balls) I've grown a passion for eating healthy and clean, and coming up with new recipes that keep that fresh and exciting and tasty. Even fat, I was still relatively active, but man, it's so much easier when you don't have to lug those bowling balls everywhere you go!

To that end, I had put some other "passions" on the backburner. I was an avid pen-and-ink and pencil artist, but I set that aside when much of my work got water-damaged, forcing me to throw them out. Still have all my art supplies. I still love coin collecting, but the G.A.S. is still going strong, so that's by the wayside. I was also a scratch bowler, and still love the sport of it, but stopped a couple years ago when my skills were in decline - likely as my weight was on the up-climb!
Old 10-18-2018, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

I have had a number of activities ( besides acoustic guitar 54 years) I am or have been passionate about some longer term, some shorter.

Snow Skiing 63 years now still enjoy it , Water skied for about 30 years no longer , Hunting for about 25 years no longer , Fly fishing and tying flys 30 years still love it. Songwriting about 25 years still enjoy it, Recording my music 12 years still like it, Snorkeling still like it, , Scuba diving for 5 years now unsure , Road cycling 6 years still like it, Road motorcycling 58 years still love it. Horse training for 25 years not much now, Hicking 58 years still love it ( as a kid we called it exploring the woods) , Backpacking 15 years no longer. Most recent is Electric guitar 2 years now and lovin it .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 10-18-2018, 06:21 PM

Let’s see.
Right now, music is my only true “passion”, I suppose. I suspect it’ll be till my last days.
Fishing? No. I live on a lake but I don’t fish. Go figure. Can’t think of a worse waste of time than fishing. And, stabbing a poor creature in the mouth with a nasty hook just for “sport” is revolting to me.
Golf? Had all the kit some 30 years back. Enjoyed it for a while. Then, just could not get into it any more and sold the kit.
Photography? Yeah. Was into it big time for 30+ years. Big cameras, darkroom and all. Won many contests, got a several grants, did many shows etc. Then got bored and sold it all and bought guitars.
Cooking? Oh yeah. Have always loved it and still do. My wife hates it so works out well in my house. Italian, French, Indian, Chinese, Mexican. Love it all.
Pro Sports? Hell no. Can’t justify supporting any outfit where the most mediocre player actually makes a lot more than the best doctor in town.

But that’s just me. To each their own.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:02 PM
Charter Member

Running, cycling, time with my kids, grandkids, and girlfriend, crystals and minerals, trips to Brazil, of course music, singing, guitars, harmonicas, amps, flutes... not necessarily in that order.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 10-18-2018, 08:07 PM

Hiking
Gardening
Reading
Antuiqing
Local road trips....all with my wife ofcourse
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 10-18-2018, 09:16 PM

Guitar, of course, has been "center stage" for quite a while and still captures me!
Lifelong sailor and boat owner and I hold a Coast Guard license and work part-time in the marine industry, which is really more of a hobby for me. we live in a special area that brings lots of ocean, nature and natural beauty to our daily lives that can captivate the senses.
Grandkids.....and lately more travel with my wife.
A 100+ year old house which we've brought along over 20 years.
for a long time, I collected American Indian basketry and while there's not been many additions recently (guitars took over!), I still enjoy my collection and do research....a lot of history and spirit in these beautiful objects.
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 10-18-2018, 09:40 PM

Mostly music. I used to paint a lot, but rarely do anymore. I miss it, but a lifetime ago I decided two things regarding my interest in the arts:

1. I'm not that talented at painting.

2. Music is such an abiding passion for me I felt I should devote myself to it entirely.

I did used to collect books and Halloween memorabilia,but everything I owned was destroyed a few years back. Since then I don't really care much about owning possessions.

My "problem" with multiple passions all concern music really. I enjoy listening to and playing/recording several genres and over the years another issue has been settling on one instrument.

I've finally settled on bass (for many years of gigging this was my main axe, though I rarely play these days), ukulele and acoustic guitar.

I already put down my feeble attempts at banjo, mandolin and fiddle, don't own an electric any longer and my collection of vintage analog synths is long gone. I also used to play drums and trumpet quite a bit.

Other instruments I still dream of taking up (concertina and bouzouki chief among them) but now I've hit 50 I believe the only other instrument I might delve into is harmonica.

I am still a bit schizophrenic regarding the music I make personally, dividing my time between ambient/tape/edited found sound/noise stuff about 20% of the time, and acoustic guitar most of the rest of the time.

I still pick up my uke now and then.

It may be hopeless...even on acoustic guitar I veer from ragtime and blues to old country and old time to acoustic versions of pop/rock songs to a growing interest in Celtic/old world folk musics.

- John Shedd
Old 10-18-2018, 10:12 PM

IMG_1878.jpg

So passionate about competitive tennis that I’ve been out of commission since late June with posterior tibial tendon dysfunction.

Caused from playing tennis 6 days a week, two hours at a time, singles at age 63. 4.0 USTA National rating. And my orthopedic says when I get this issue back under control I need to cut back and give my body a chance to rest.

Last edited by ahorsewithnonam; 10-18-2018 at 10:56 PM.
Old 10-19-2018, 02:45 AM

40 years old, besides being obsessed with music I like cinema very much, literature, I also collect mechanical watches, and I try to go to gym three to four times per week in order to keep myself fit.

I am also an amateur photographer and quite into motorbikes and cars...to the point it's a job for me.
'11 Martin HD-28V
'16 Yamaha FG180 50th anniversary
'18 Gibson Southern Jumbo
'20 Guild F-512 MPL

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic