The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-18-2018, 08:56 AM

Default How to leave honest, not so great, feedback on reverb?

OK so I just bought a guitar and the condition wasn't accurate and it was packaged poorly (thin, ripped box...little protection) and it had some physical
marks that weren't disclosed. The seller was willing to refund my money, but nothing else. I don't want to have to ship it back and just want the guitar I thought I was getting. I tried communicating all this, but the seller only says "if you aren't satisfied, send it back for a refund" . I am keeping the guitar, but now how do I proceed with the feedback? I am afraid if I am honest and give a not so great feedback, he will do the same to me in return.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
I don't want to have to ship it back and just want the guitar I thought I was getting.
That's clearly not going to happen, is it? And justice will not be served.

Not saying this is entirely on you, it's clearly not, but part of buying on Reverb and eBay is using your spidey-sense to get a vibe on the seller. Same thing with Craigslist -- when a guy says "Meet me in a dark alley and come alone" you know something's up.

So take your lumps, send the thing back on your dime, and chalk it up. And if you want to, leave negative feedback. What's he gonna do, say, "He paid me in a timely manner and then sent the guitar back for a refund, but he's a bad dude?"

Couch Standards
Old 10-18-2018, 09:17 AM

You're in a tricky spot, through no fault of your own, it seems. My first thought is that you shouldn't keep a guitar you aren't happy with, even though returning it is a hassle and maybe an extra expense.

That said, if you get a refund you will no longer to be able to provide feedback about the transaction on Reverb. (Unless they've changed policies. There was a thread on this a few months ago started by the great Toby Walker.)

I don't know about "feedback retaliation," except to say the seller would have a fair point if they criticized you for complaining but not accepting their refund offer.

If you decide to keep the guitar, your feedback might well help future potential buyers. You have to decide whether that's worth keeping a guitar you're not satisfied with. For me, I don't think it would be.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:34 AM

the big flaw with Reverb's feedback system is that it's like the Uber system. You give good feedback cause you want to get it in return. Give someone one or two stars and be prepared to get the same in return. Kind of pointless isn't it. Folks shouldn't be able to see their counterparts feedback until they give theirs as well. This cat and mouse game is useless.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:20 AM

Default How to leave honest, not so great, feedback on reverb?

I’ll play devils advocate. If the guitar is not as advertised I’d contact my credit card company and start a claim with them. They’ll reverse your payment and put the transaction on hold. That would put the onus on the seller to pay return shipping.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 10-18-2018, 10:35 AM
Guest 728

He offered you a satisfaction guarantee, but you were satisfied enough to keep it. Give him four stars, and move on.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
I don't want to have to ship it back and just want the guitar I thought I was getting.
What kind of resolution did you want exactly?

Since you still wanted to keep the guitar, an appropriate way to work this out could have been to negotiate a partial refund settlement. It sounds like the seller may not have been interested in doing this, however, which sometimes happens. He may feel that the sale price was reasonable. In this case, suggesting that you return it for a refund was appropriate. If I were the seller, in the interest of good faith, I would have offered to pay 50% of the return shipping.
1984 Rickenbacker 330
1990s Mosrite (Kurokumo) Ventures
2002/2005 Fender Japan '60s Tele [TL-62-66US]
2008 Hallmark 60 Custom
2018 Martin Custom Shop 00-18 slot-head

1963 Fender Bandmaster (blonde blackface)
1965 Ampeg Gemini I
2020 Mojotone tweed Champ kit build
Old 10-18-2018, 11:09 AM

Be honest. In your feedback say in a straight-forward manner that the guitar's condition in your opinion did not come in the condition as listed. Also state that the seller offered you an opportunity to return it for a refund. Nothing more need be said. Granted, your expectations weren't met, but other than the inconvenience of sending it back there was obviously no risk in the purchase.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 10-18-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
Be honest. In your feedback say in a straight-forward manner that the guitar's condition in your opinion did not come in the condition as listed. Also state that the seller offered you an opportunity to return it for a refund. Nothing more need be said. Granted, your expectations weren't met, but other than the inconvenience of sending it back there was obviously no risk in the purchase.
Agreed. Keep it free from emotion and just state the facts.
1984 Rickenbacker 330
2008 Hallmark 60 Custom

1965 Ampeg Gemini I
Old 10-18-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
OK so I just bought a guitar and the condition wasn't accurate and it was packaged poorly (thin, ripped box...little protection) and it had some physical
marks that weren't disclosed. The seller was willing to refund my money, but nothing else. I don't want to have to ship it back and just want the guitar I thought I was getting. I tried communicating all this, but the seller only says "if you aren't satisfied, send it back for a refund" . I am keeping the guitar, but now how do I proceed with the feedback? I am afraid if I am honest and give a not so great feedback, he will do the same to me in return.
In my mind you have two options.

One, return the guitar for a refund, as the seller does not want to discount the sale.

Two, keep the guitar and don't give negative feedback, He offered to take the guitar back. He is in no way obligated to discount his price.

Ed
Old 10-18-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:

Feedback is an option, not a requirement. Do not leave feedback until the seller does.
"The ability to leave feedback goes away after 45 days." reverb
Old 10-18-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song View Post
Feedback is an option, not a requirement. Do not leave feedback until the seller does.
"The ability to leave feedback goes away after 45 days." reverb
I wouldn't bother to give feedback.

Or you could say, "Despite poor packing, the guitar was almost as good as described. He was willing to refund my money." What it doesn't say says a lot.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.

Last edited by The Bard Rocks; 10-19-2018 at 06:03 AM.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:09 PM

Here's the thing ... many buyers will accept the guitar, find a flaw (real or imagined) and then try to renegotiate the price with the seller after the sale. They don't hate it enough to want to return it, they want to keep it a lower price. For the seller the best option is to insist the buyer return the guitar if not satisfied.

IMO the online buying game isn't worth the candle. I just don't do it. You've been offered a remedy ... he isn't trying to cheat you.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
Here's the thing ... many buyers will accept the guitar, find a flaw (real or imagined) and then try to renegotiate the price with the seller after the sale. They don't hate it enough to want to return it, they want to keep it a lower price. For the seller the best option is to insist the buyer return the guitar if not satisfied.

IMO the online buying game isn't worth the candle. I just don't do it. You've been offered a remedy ... he isn't trying to cheat you.
Yup, that's probably what's going on in the seller's mind.
1984 Rickenbacker 330
2008 Hallmark 60 Custom

1965 Ampeg Gemini I
Old 10-18-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatcomber View Post
If I were the seller, in the interest of good faith, I would have offered to pay 50% of the return shipping.
If the guitar is physically not as described, then the seller ought to pay 100% return shipping since it's 100% their fault. Seems like a partial refund makes a lot more sense.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic