The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 10-05-2018, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Default Gillian Welch

I am curious. Gillian Welch plays often with Dave Rawlings. Does she ever play fingerstyle or always kind of strummy rhythm guitar? She has him, so, that is fine! What about if she is solo, or does she not ever play solo?
Old 10-05-2018, 10:38 AM

I've never seen her play solo, but if she did, I think she would sound just fine. Please don't take offense, but I think describing her style as "strummy rhythm guitar" is a little dismissive. IMO, her playing is right in the pocket and sounds great.
Old 10-05-2018, 10:39 AM

And by the way, Gillian does play fingerstyle. When it's called for.
Old 10-05-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemonk View Post
..... I think describing her style as "strummy rhythm guitar" is a little dismissive.
When she sings, I've never really noticed what she's doing with the guitar.
Old 10-05-2018, 10:46 AM

This interview will answer your question.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLnfdwEwKuM&t=783s
Old 10-05-2018, 10:52 AM

Gillian Welch is an excellent rhythm guitar player and her playing is an essential part of her performances with David Rawlings. I've seen them perform together a bunch of times over the past 20 years as Gillian Welch and as the David Rawlings Machine. She always plays rhythm guitar (and banjo), however the last time I saw them a year ago, she did play a cool fingerstyle piece on David's Epiphone while he was busy making adjustments to something. So she can definitely play fingerstyle, it's just not part of her performance style. She's had David playing with her all these years so no need for her to do that too.
Old 10-05-2018, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

I assume that David and Gillian are an "item" and so when she performs he's there to add his unique and fascinating soloing behind her guitar playing.

I was recently watching some videos of them and pretty sure that she flat picks and finger picks as she deems necessary for the piece.
edit : Proof ! A great video made in 204 in the great venue in London - St Lukes.

She is doing both, just to prove me right !! hahah!!

Didja know that Gillian was adopted and never met her original parents?
Old 10-05-2018, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

L20 a has beat me to it - esp as I forgot to add the YouTube link -
a full concert - sorry about that but great music and well filmed.

Old 10-05-2018, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

My use of 'strummy rhythm guitar' was not a slight in the least, it's just descriptive words in a sentence, more or less, to mean 'not fingerstyle.' I didn't say a thing about her abilities. I think she's great.
Old 10-05-2018, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
This interview will answer your question.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLnfdwEwKuM&t=783s
Dang, that's amazing to get such a good accompanying sound from just strumming with the flesh of her thumb.

The second song proves she can certainly play fingerstyle.

I am astounded at how great her guitar sounds and I heard she only mic's her guitar. Surprising at the volume because she seems to be playing delicately. That is a great guitar. Perhaps it is her old Gibson J50. I have a 1956 Gibson Country Western and it has a lot of volume.
Old 10-05-2018, 11:35 AM

She also plays bass and drums.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 10-05-2018, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

Pretty fair banjo player to boot, definitely uses her fingers there. Got box seat tickets to see her and Rawlings Monday night at the beautiful Taft Theater in downtown Cincinnati.
Old 10-05-2018, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

Nice to hear a duo this morning. Such a deep pocket on her small thumb edge. Very polished dynamics from many performances and practices together. Great show.
Old 10-05-2018, 11:52 AM

I just love the way she makes it look so easy almost as much as i revel in her delight of singing/playing/performing. Not being a singer, I am easily amazed at the way she knows these songs in her heart, i try to evoke the song through my playing and she does both. The technical wonder that myself (and many others who know they cannot sing) the transition, the organic following of the guitar, as if she is only towing it along gently, after all, only she knows how it feels to play it so I yield to that.

I listened to 13:03 to 19:57 of the youtube clip while I wrote this.(I mean it didnt take me that long to write it but lately a buddy and i have been playing some of her music so I have been thinking about her a lot , I have been thinking about Elvis a lot too lately but not that one you might be thinking that im thinking about.
Old 10-05-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveMusic View Post
My use of 'strummy rhythm guitar' was not a slight in the least, it's just descriptive words in a sentence, more or less, to mean 'not fingerstyle.' I didn't say a thing about her abilities. I think she's great.
Thanks for the clarification. Many people seems to think holding down the rhythm is a lesser skill. That couldn't be further from the truth.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN