The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-15-2018, 09:36 PM
Charter Member

Default Edwinson build under way...

Hey all, I'm happy to report that I've got a build going with Steve Sheriff of Edwinson guitars. It's been in the works for a while, with neither of us in a rush; I've had things going on in life, Steve had a bunch of stuff happening, and through it all, we stayed in touch and built a friendship, a real kinship. In the interim, some of you will recall that Steve built and donated a guitar that I was able to use for some fundraising in honor of my niece. And as far as my guitar, we just figured it would happen whenever the timing was right. And now it's right!

Steve is building me a Sinker Redwood over Macassar Ebony guitar (no shock, to those that know me), a curvy mid-sized model, with a Venetian cutaway, arm and rib bevels. I had a similar guitar, a Taylor BTO, that I let get away and have really been wanting something like that back in my hands. We reviewed the music I play, how I play (mostly a strummer/singer), what it was I loved about the Taylor, what I would have liked to be different about it (I decided to sell it after all, so there had to be something), and what would I want out of a "keeper". He gathered as much information as he could, and gradually the pieces began to take shape.

The process has been a real joy. Many of you know Steve through his eloquent posts. I won't even try to match his way with words. All I will say is that he exudes kindness, warmth, humility and enthusiasm. It's wonderful to have a discussion and hear his excitement at bringing a vision to life. He has been very patient with me, changing the curve of the cutaway to make it a little "sexier", working to create a gorgeous rosette...whatever the request/tweak/suggestion/etc. nothing is a bother. As I said, a real joy.

I'll let Steve fill in build details and any other information he'd care to share, including pictures and such. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 08-15-2018, 10:07 PM
AGF Sponsor

Very nice Mike! I’m really happy for you and Steve. I bet this will be a fun build and a good collaboration. I can’t believe you’re not going to try to match Steve’s enthusiastic eloquence on guitars and relationships. Can’t wait to hear it from his side though. Enjoy this new project!

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 08-15-2018, 10:45 PM

Way to go Mike and it seems we both are up late posting about new builds. That is cool, I look forward to watching this come together as Steve is not only a great Human as you say, but a true wood artist and I know this will be stellar.
Old 08-16-2018, 05:41 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Mike, Congratulations! It's great to see you now "sliding back" towards the acoustic world . I've seen your deep love of electrics, and it is very cool to see you doing this new acoustic project with Steve. Given your taste for gorgeous guitars, and Steve's ability to create the gorgeous stuff, I think this is going to be a sweet one to follow. I remember when I first met Steve a few years ago, he had a guitar at the show with a picture of a rose carved out of various woods. His craftsmanship and artistic ability demonstrated on that guitar just blew me away.

I do remember that Taylor you loved, and you've spoke of it often before. Excited for you and looking forward to following this new project!

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!
Old 08-16-2018, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations Mike (and Steve)! I too yearn for a Redwood/Macassar guitar, for my first "boutique" guitar was that combo (not sinker) on a McPherson that I picked up from Woody. I'm sure this will be a stunner and Steve ought to be able to coax the best vibes from that wood combo. Looking forward to seeing the progress.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:06 AM
AGF Sponsor

I love working with Mike on this project. It's a creative collaboration, with Mike adding his design ideas to the mix, and I'm glad to say, we agree 100% on all the particulars. As Mike said, we've become good friends, starting here on the AGF, and now reaching well beyond the whole guitar thing.Even though we have yet to meet in person, I consider Mike to be a brother in my inner circle.

The guitar we are building together is an Eclipse OM model, which, since its inception in 2016, has become by far my most popular design. Mike and I co-designed a new style Venetian cutaway for it, which I think works great with the modern shape of this OM.
Mike asked me to make mini-bevels (arm and rib), which are much slimmer than my standard bevel treatment, but still very functional. I like this new design so much, I think I'll standardize on it from now on. Mike also asked me to trim the bevels in black Ebony, instead of the marbled black and tan Ebony I first suggested. Today, I'll finish the bevels, and so far they look great- clean and elegant. So we'll have a built box this afternoon.
I'm very pleased to report that the box has that amazingly responsive vibe you always hope for when you tap on it. Sinker Redwood and Macassar Ebony are a great combo, and this guitar already has the markers for a vibrant, colorful tone.

I will organize my photos after I cross this mid-point line today, and post some of them here.
Thanks to everyone for coming along for the ride! As always, I appreciate all the kind comments, which I will try very hard to live up to! And thanks, Mike, for taking the Captain's chair on this thread. That means I can get more actual lutherie accomplished!
Old 08-16-2018, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

Wink

Looking forward to seeing pics of this one!
Steve
Old 08-16-2018, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacluth View Post
Very nice Mike! I’m really happy for you and Steve. I bet this will be a fun build and a good collaboration. I can’t believe you’re not going to try to match Steve’s enthusiastic eloquence on guitars and relationships. Can’t wait to hear it from his side though. Enjoy this new project!
Thanks Ryan! It's always a joy to read what he writes, isn't it? Hoping to get to meet you at Woodstock, if you're going!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Way to go Mike and it seems we both are up late posting about new builds. That is cool, I look forward to watching this come together as Steve is not only a great Human as you say, but a true wood artist and I know this will be stellar.
Thanks Tom! He's got a great eye for details, and a passion that is contagious. I'm looking forward to following your new builds as well! And then, as we have threatened, we need to get together and share the joy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by invguy921 View Post
Mike, Congratulations! It's great to see you now "sliding back" towards the acoustic world . I've seen your deep love of electrics, and it is very cool to see you doing this new acoustic project with Steve. Given your taste for gorgeous guitars, and Steve's ability to create the gorgeous stuff, I think this is going to be a sweet one to follow. I remember when I first met Steve a few years ago, he had a guitar at the show with a picture of a rose carved out of various woods. His craftsmanship and artistic ability demonstrated on that guitar just blew me away.

I do remember that Taylor you loved, and you've spoke of it often before. Excited for you and looking forward to following this new project!
Thanks Mike. I know much more now than when I sold the Taylor. In return I have a beautiful Stehr, but am thrilled to be getting a redwood guitar back in the house. Yes, electrics are a lot of fun, but so different! I am more band-centric with electrics, and while learning my vocal and guitar parts is a challenge that I really enjoy, it is often even more enjoyable, always more relaxing to learn an entire song. I get more pleasure from playing acoustic duo music than anything else.

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 08-16-2018, 12:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootis View Post
Congratulations Mike (and Steve)! I too yearn for a Redwood/Macassar guitar, for my first "boutique" guitar was that combo (not sinker) on a McPherson that I picked up from Woody. I'm sure this will be a stunner and Steve ought to be able to coax the best vibes from that wood combo. Looking forward to seeing the progress.
Thank you! I'm glad it's Sinker but was open to any other variety of redwood. I wanted the warmth and headroom that I have come to associate with that wood and let Steve pick what he thought would get us there. He was very happy, excited really, to have something on hand he thought would be ideal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post
I love working with Mike on this project. It's a creative collaboration, with Mike adding his design ideas to the mix, and I'm glad to say, we agree 100% on all the particulars. As Mike said, we've become good friends, starting here on the AGF, and now reaching well beyond the whole guitar thing.Even though we have yet to meet in person, I consider Mike to be a brother in my inner circle.

The guitar we are building together is an Eclipse OM model, which, since its inception in 2016, has become by far my most popular design. Mike and I co-designed a new style Venetian cutaway for it, which I think works great with the modern shape of this OM.
Mike asked me to make mini-bevels (arm and rib), which are much slimmer than my standard bevel treatment, but still very functional. I like this new design so much, I think I'll standardize on it from now on. Mike also asked me to trim the bevels in black Ebony, instead of the marbled black and tan Ebony I first suggested. Today, I'll finish the bevels, and so far they look great- clean and elegant. So we'll have a built box this afternoon.
I'm very pleased to report that the box has that amazingly responsive vibe you always hope for when you tap on it. Sinker Redwood and Macassar Ebony are a great combo, and this guitar already has the markers for a vibrant, colorful tone.

I will organize my photos after I cross this mid-point line today, and post some of them here.
Thanks to everyone for coming along for the ride! As always, I appreciate all the kind comments, which I will try very hard to live up to! And thanks, Mike, for taking the Captain's chair on this thread. That means I can get more actual lutherie accomplished!
Brother is definitely appropriate. We have similar philosophies on many aspects of life. It's made the whole process very easy and comfortable. What is particularly nice is how Steve has encouraged me to state my opinion, no offense if the ideas in my head don't match what he originally came up with. And the only change that I requested, as he noted, was I wanted plain black bevels. He offered some very pretty marbled ebony, but my thinking is the black ebony with separate the beautiful back and top woods, allowing them to stand out on their own.

We went with the Eclipse OM because he felt it provides almost as much volume as the larger EP performance model (which is only 1/2" larger at the lower bout), and with an eye to longevity; I'm 55 and while nowhere near "old", I'm not a tall guy and want a guitar that will remain comfortable for as long as I am capable of playing. The bevels will help in that area, as well.

I gave Steve some ideas about inlays for the neck, I'm not sure where that is headed yet, and that is truly part of the fun. And hearing how things are coming along from Steve's perspective, is all the more exciting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevien View Post
Looking forward to seeing pics of this one!
Steve
Thanks Steve! I'm sure they'll be posted either later today or tomorrow.

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 08-16-2018, 04:21 PM
Music soothes the soul!

Fantastic! Congrats Mike. This is great. I remember when we both had similar Taylor BTOs for sale and you graciously let me go first so we wouldn’t be competing. To hear you are going to have another in the same woods is awesome as I know how much you enjoyed the Taylor. Will be fun to watch this come together.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Fantastic! Congrats Mike. This is great. I remember when we both had similar Taylor BTOs for sale and you graciously let me go first so we wouldn’t be competing. To hear you are going to have another in the same woods is awesome as I know how much you enjoyed the Taylor. Will be fun to watch this come together.
Thanks Dennis! I really do miss "that sound". I played a video for Steve, he knows what we're aiming for. I know every guitar will be different, but am sure we'll get a lush, sparkly, powerful instrument. And we'll have to arrange another gathering so you get to play it!

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 08-16-2018, 04:45 PM
AGF Sponsor

Here are some pictures to get started with. I’ve been using my iPad for shop photography, so a lot of these photos are far from studio-quality, like Mark Hatcher always posts. Maybe someday I’ll have the time to use my camera, and download to the computer, and edit, and clean up the best ones, and post to Flickr... But for now, I am only doing the full treatment for photos of newly built guitars, in the white, and then again after they are all finished and strung.

First, Here are a couple shots of the top and back woods chosen for Mike’s Eclipse OM. Back and sides are one of my favorite woods, Macassar Ebony, and the top is a nice set of Sinker Redwood from a billet I acquired about six years ago. Following that, a sketch on newsprint of the body outline with the new Venetian cutaway design.IMG_0545.jpgIMG_1534459433.673982.jpgIMG_1534459455.606248.jpgIMG_1534459513.052498.jpg
Old 08-16-2018, 04:56 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Here are some pictures to get started with. I’ve been using my iPad for shop photography, so a lot of these photos are far from studio-quality, like Mark Hatcher always posts. Maybe someday I’ll have the time to use my camera, and download to the computer, and edit, and clean up the best ones, and post to Flickr... But for now, I am only doing the full treatment for photos of newly built guitars, in the white, and then again after they are all finished and strung.

First, Here are a couple shots of the top and back woods chosen for Mike’s Eclipse OM. Back and sides are one of my favorite woods, Macassar Ebony, and the top is a nice set of Sinker Redwood from a billet I acquired about six years ago. Following that, a sketch on newsprint of the body outline with the new Venetian cutaway design.Attachment 12005Attachment 12006Attachment 12007Attachment 12008

Since Mike and I decided to create a new Venetian Cutaway shape, it was necessary to jig up for it. First, a set of plexiglass templates, then a new cutaway bending form, a shoe for the bending machine cutaway ram, and an insert for the body mold. Here’s that first side being bent. It made me nervous, because the cutaway has a very tight radius, and Macassar Ebony can be quite difficult to bend. But since I always build with double sides now, I can make both the inner and outer sides thinner, and bend them together. Everything came out flawless. IMG_4291.jpgIMG_4292.jpg
Old 08-16-2018, 05:02 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Since Mike and I decided to create a new Venetian Cutaway shape, it was necessary to jig up for it. First, a set of plexiglass templates, then a new cutaway bending form, a shoe for the bending machine cutaway ram, and an insert for the body mold. Here’s that first side being bent. It made me nervous, because the cutaway has a very tight radius, and Macassar Ebony can be quite difficult to bend. But since I always build with double sides now, I can make both the inner and outer sides thinner, and bend them together. Everything came out flawless. Attachment 12009Attachment 12010

Jumping ahead a bit, here are some shots of the sides, bent, laminated, blocked, and lined.IMG_4307.jpgIMG_4308.jpgIMG_4310.jpg
Old 08-16-2018, 05:06 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Jumping ahead a bit, here are some shots of the sides, bent, laminated, blocked, and lined.Attachment 12011Attachment 12012Attachment 12013

Stay tuned, more coming soon. First, there is something else I need to make, which is dinner. This is a pepper steak dish I invented, which is really tasty, served over brown rice. Yum.IMG_4305.jpg

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop