The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-12-2018, 07:06 AM

Default Luddite looking for guitar (and other) iPhone apps

Hi folks...haven't posted for a while, but I have a question I think you are uniquely qualified to answer.

My wife and I, after years of being confirmed luddites, joined the 21st century club a couple of weeks back by buying our first-ever smart phones (we'd had dumb phones for a few years, for road emergencies and such). We are acclimating slowly and will probably hit up the local Apple Store for a basic tutorial class soon. Meanwhile, in deciding what apps to have on my iPhone, I recall a young colleague who had an app that provided an on-phone guitar tuner. I assume there are more than one or two of these out there, and that they vary in quality, so my questions for you are...

1. What's the best/most useful app (or apps) for acoustic guitar players, either free or worth the price if not free? (And BTW, are the tuner apps accurate? I'm not gonna toss out my Snarks, but having that facility on my phone might come in handy.)

2. What other iPhone apps have you found particularly helpful to have in the non-guitar realms of life?

I don't want to overload on apps. But I do want to make sure I embed true "must haves" on this thing. So your input and advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Dirk
Old 10-12-2018, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

Welcome to the 21st century

I can say that because I resisted a smart phone until about 5 years ago. My wife forced it on me. She just bought me an Apple watch, too. Kicking and screaming......

Anyway, I use ProGuitar Tuner when my snarks aren't handy. I have no idea how accurate it is but it has an analog screen with a needle and I like that. I also use ChordPro which goes out to all of the chord/tab sites and grabs them for you in one place.

They are both free.

I use voice memos to record my teacher playing a new song, and even better I'll videotape his hands. That is preinstalled under utilities. GarageBand is also preinstalled, but I haven't bonded with it yet. For my own recordings I still prefer Audacity on my desktop.

Have fun with it!
Old 10-12-2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Kicking and screaming......
Yep. Right there with you, brother.

(Luckily, no Apple watch for me. Yet.)

Dirk
Old 10-12-2018, 10:15 AM

here is a link to guitar tuner apps.

i use the first one listed guitar tuna and it works fine as long as you are not gigging and having a lot of noise around.

i also use music memo to save my "off the top of my head" ideas. you can record instruments or vocals and, if you want, it will add bass and drums. pretty neat for beginnings of a song. you can transfer it to garageband and flesh it out further.

play music!

https://www.google.com/search?q=guit...firefox-b-1-ab

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 10-17-2018, 07:30 AM

Thanks for the responses so far. Now a more specific question:

Is there a chord/tab app that you find particularly helpful (as in, it has all the songs you typically look for and fairly accurate lyrics/chords)?
I notice Ultimate Guitar: Chords & Tabs and Yousician at the App Store. Any opinions from those who know this stuff?

Thanks again.

Dirk
Old 10-17-2018, 11:01 AM

Here are some I like or at least have not deleted over the years.

Circle Of Fifths is nice.

Dark Sky is kind of an iPhone must do, Ventusky another.

Back to work. I'll think of more later.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkronk View Post
I don't want to overload on apps. But I do want to make sure I embed true "must haves" on this thing. So your input and advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Dirk
As said, follow up when there's more time.

The music apps in my screen shot have been helpful. One nice simple circle of fifths app I used is no longer supported so I have to delete that icon in the screen shot. It's just there from the transfer to my new phone.

Notes apps are wonderful. You get Apple's. A key idea to remember is the iCloud or similar synchronization you can have with others and other computers you use. Microsoft, Google, Dropbox and more give you that all over concept.

Something I really value is the Office 365 subscription and how useful it is to have Excel and other apps data there and the same all over.

A password and private data manager like LastPass is tremendous. It helps managed private data via encryption and filling in user names and passwords. You remember your one strong master password. Your face or finger print helps depending on which phone you got.

Google Maps is a biggie for many but Apple's own Maps is much improved and tied to an Apple Watch for navigation if you have one. I find it's less distracting to have your watch vibrate than to look away from driving.

Reading is another to look into. If you've used Kindle the phone app is great. The Wall St. Journal and New York Times apps are great. I'm not a TV person so I'm at those apps when there's time pretty much every day.

How much are you willing to spend? Some $10 - $20 purchases might seem crazy but Gaia GPS for mapping and Drafts give me a lot of utility in my life.

We use the Find Friends app within the family. It helps with the elderly having independence or the kids knowing where their parents are.

Get the apps for your bank(s) and credit cards. Those are great to manage matters in a hurry or to deposit checks.

Third party camera apps are worth checking out. They can save raw files that hold more info and have camera and video control the standards ones don't have. For video Filmic is superb. You can control where the focus and exposure are independently.

Remember backing up is not just for truck drivers. Make sure your phone is backed up by the iCloud account and on occasion the cable to your computer.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic