The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-23-2020, 04:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by koa&cedar View Post
I also like bass heavy guitars. Its sad they don't have these guitars in some music shops for trying it 1st hand. The scale decision will be hard to make without playing the guitar 1st.
Whereabouts are you located? Have you considered reaching out for someone in your area who might own an Emerald (or whatever else you might be considering) and arranging a get-together? I’ve done it a couple of times (both of which resulted in Emerald purchases) and it’s a really fun and rewarding thing to do - and I know I’m not the only one.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo

Last edited by David Eastwood; 09-24-2020 at 06:13 AM.
Old 09-23-2020, 05:27 PM

Busking, no one except for the occasional guitar nerd cares about the guitar I am playing. However, when I go to music camps or new-to-me group things there is usually one or two who start circling me if I bring out my X20. I have had at least 4 or 5 who asked to play it for a while last year and several more over the years who took the time to take down the name of the company and said they were intrigued by a mail order only guitar. I only know of one so far for certain who followed through. I figure once I make 10 or 12 sales, I should break into the next level in this pyramid scheme I've been inadvertently concocting.

The point is you should reach out. There're probably several players in your area who'd share what they got. These cf guitars are tough. They can get pick scratches and other cosmetic damage, but they are a lot less likely to get cosmetic or any other sort of injury compared to your typical high end wood guitar while still sounding just as good. YMMV depending on setups, expectations etc...

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 09-24-2020, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
I’ve had no issues with light strings playing DADGAD on the Rainsong and Emerald guitars I own that both have short scales. They both sound wonderful.
I don't play in DaDGAD but I do often play in Open G. I only mention the DADGAD strings as they actually do help on strings 1, 2 and 6. The late Pete Huttlinger liked to play in Drop D a lot and was an endorser of Elixir HD light. I've become a fan of sets like this for guitars less than 24.75" scale as the trebles stay sweeter, and Pete swore by this for even full scale guitars. Pretty much everything Pierre Bensusan plays lives in DADGAD and he endorses the Wyres.

But to your point Jim, yes lights work fine too!
Old 09-27-2020, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

RainSong WS1000 Classic
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber