The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-23-2018, 09:11 AM

If it is hot enough to warp an HPL guitar, I'd just stay home (or just focus on the camping)...doesn't sound like a fun time to me
Old 10-23-2018, 10:18 AM

The GS Mini has been my camping guitar since it first came out in 2012. I've taken it on numerous trips as well as national and international flights with no issues. In my experience, it is impervious to summer heat as long as it doesn't get past 100 degrees. On a hot day, I keep it under the rain fly (not inside the tent), out of the sun. On occasion, I had to leave it in the car in 95+ temps for a couple of hours, and it was fine, but I would not push that. In those conditions, on a sunny day, temps inside the car can go up to 180 degrees (I recently took measurements because I was curious), and those are enough to kill any guitar. I personally would not leave any guitar inside a car on a sunny day for any more than 15 minutes, if that.

In summary, I would say the Mini is a tank compared to many other guitars, but of course it does have its limits.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 10-23-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfastly View Post

As for heat, how hot do you think the truck was that delivered your guitar to the store? Those things can get upward of 160F and hotter in places like Arizona and Nevada and guitars are delivered like that all the time
I'm not sure how this could happen. As long as the truck doesn't have glass windows that let in sunlight, I don't see how the temperature inside could get any higher than ambient temperature.

What causes temps inside cars to rise beyond the ambient temperature is the glass trapping the sun's infrared rays. They enter through the glass but can't get out, and that's what raises the temperature inside. As long as there either are no windows or no direct sun, the inside temperature should not exceed the outside temperature.

Unless I'm missing something, of course. It just occurred to me that perhaps if the sun heats up the metal covering of the trailer and that transfers the heat inside the cargo area... Perhaps that's a mechanism by which temps inside a truck could rise above ambient?

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 10-23-2018, 11:24 AM

I have a martin LXM, all HPL guitar that sounds great for such a little guy, and Im pretty sure humidity wont really have any effect on it.

It is also extremely resistant to bumps, nicks, scratches etc.

I would highly recommend it for a camping trip, it also wont take up much space in the car!

1934 Gibson Kalamazoo KG11

www.reverbnation.com/jamesascott
Old 10-23-2018, 11:30 AM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
But my approach if I was still one to do tent camping would be a cheap little Jim Dandy
That's exactly what I bought, and it has proved to be nearly indestructible. Even in a hot car on a road trip through the South, it was fine in its gig bag.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolbury View Post
I bring my 46 Gibson. God does it sound great around the campfire. Trips are in the fall, so don't worry about a hot car. Its been at more campfires than I can count. Just back from 3 nites in Moab, great jams ea nite. Crazy, but there ya go...
Any tips on sizing pics. Yikes!
What a great shot of a beautiful instrument!

Please take me with you next time you head out camping. I'll bring the beverages. Even give you a few if you let me play that gorgeous Gibson...

- John Shedd
Old 10-23-2018, 02:01 PM

That's exactly what I use my GS Mini for. Survived a fall off of my motorcycle at 85mph in the included gig bag. Slid to a stop on the shoulder of I-40. Pretty durable guitars (and bags!).
Old 10-23-2018, 04:56 PM

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/59312018

Here’s your beater/campfire/Beer guitar. Asking a pittance and no bids yet. I really do have good things to say about Penco guitars, but they were very regional. Mostly found in the Northeast US, and a lot of players in other regions never heard of them. Good value for the money, Japanese (Hoshino) copies of Martin and Gibson. This is a weird one, a Martin body with a Gibsonish peghead?
1979 Alvarez CY 115, #226 of 600
1977 Giannini Craviola 12 String
1997 Martin CEO-1R
1970s C.F. Mountain OOO-18
1968 Standel/Harptone E6-N
1969-70 Harptone Maple Lark L6-NC (Katrina guitar)
Supreme A-12
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Esteban Antonio Brown Model
Old 10-23-2018, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTwang View Post
I'm not sure how this could happen. As long as the truck doesn't have glass windows that let in sunlight, I don't see how the temperature inside could get any higher than ambient temperature.

What causes temps inside cars to rise beyond the ambient temperature is the glass trapping the sun's infrared rays. They enter through the glass but can't get out, and that's what raises the temperature inside. As long as there either are no windows or no direct sun, the inside temperature should not exceed the outside temperature.

Unless I'm missing something, of course. It just occurred to me that perhaps if the sun heats up the metal covering of the trailer and that transfers the heat inside the cargo area... Perhaps that's a mechanism by which temps inside a truck could rise above ambient?
The sweat boxes used in some prisons to punish inmates don't have glass either but the temperatures get insanely hot in theRE. As you say, they trap heat and it can't get out.

Last edited by Steadfastly; 10-24-2018 at 02:14 PM.
Old 10-24-2018, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

No risk no reward! Love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolbury View Post
I bring my 46 Gibson. God does it sound great around the campfire. Trips are in the fall, so don't worry about a hot car. Its been at more campfires than I can count. Just back from 3 nites in Moab, great jams ea nite. Crazy, but there ya go...
Any tips on sizing pics. Yikes!

Flammang J35
Martin D-18A
Martin D-28CA
Gibson L-00 12-fret 1932
Gibson J-45 1945
Kay K-24 1949
A bunch of electrics
Old 10-24-2018, 01:16 PM

I took a break from camping but will be back at it soon. I camped a total of 30 days this year as of mid July. I have a pop up and I have brought the following guitars. 1972 0-16NY, 00-18V, OM-18V, 0-15MS and I may have brought my OM-28V once. I am happy to say that I havent noticed any damage and we had a couple damp mornings.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:09 AM

Don't do it if you have close neighbors. IMHO

I sound old, but, if tell kids no rap or country next to me on right
I have to tell someone no picking on my left.

Trying to hear non city sounds, campfire etc.

but, that is me.

If in primitive area...cool.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uriah1 View Post
Don't do it if you have close neighbors. IMHO

I sound old, but, if tell kids no rap or country next to me on right
I have to tell someone no picking on my left.

Trying to hear non city sounds, campfire etc.

but, that is me.

If in primitive area...cool.
And most of them are there for the same reason as well, I find that the radios get turned off around me and people quiet down when they hear an acoustic guitar. And I have been in some tight sites (before they got blown away by the hurricane). I have never met that camper that has ssssshhh'd me or my family, as for the rap or country, I think our laughter carries a cloud of shame with it over whoever thought that was a good idea. I confess, I have met some mean fellas camping but lord knows they need the relaxation more than I do. 30 days pop up tent camping as of the 1st week of July, Got too hot but by the signs of all these camping guitar posts I keep seeing popping up on AGF, I suspect its about time to plan something east after that storm. Hell, I finally found a sticker i'm willing to put on my camper anyway.

Happy Camping and always bring your best guitar because you will surely be doing your best playing when at peace.
Old 10-25-2018, 11:02 AM

^^^^^^^^^^^^

100% agreed. I find that people appreciate someone playing a little acoustic around campgrounds. Now if you brought your Strat and an amp that might be a little different.

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 10-25-2018, 11:27 AM

Ive played at a lot of campfires, somehow my guitar sounds the best its ever sounded and the songs just come together. I often find Im playing a familiar song at a different tempo, the dynamics become important, soft finger style has plenty of power, letting the music fill the mood. I don't think of it as a performance, and lay back with some soft fills while folks laugh and talk, step in with a song when the time is right. I don't equate fireside playing with recorded music because of these things, its more a part of the group conversation.
'95 Collings 0002H
'80s Martin M36

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion