The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-15-2015, 01:05 PM

Default Drum Machine or Similar for Gigs?

Anyone using a drum machine or anything similar for a rhythm/percussion accompaniment while playing live as solo(or duo) act? If so, what are you using and how are you amping it?
Old 08-15-2015, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

Sorry, but I have a horrible dislike for drum machines. Why would you want to deprive your music of any nuance? Get or build a stomp. Strap a tambourine on the other foot. Play with a percussionist. Anything but a machine.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 08-15-2015, 01:39 PM

Kinda like this?
Old 08-15-2015, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

Deleted duplicate
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 08-16-2015, 03:36 PM

If you want to amplify a drum machine then I would suggest either into the PA system or a Full Range speaker due to the low thumping of the bass drum sound and the high frequency of the cymbals. Even the better acoustic amps I wouldn't recommend especially if you are playing through them with your guitar.
Old 08-16-2015, 05:27 PM

Some use backing tracks from a smartphone or tablet. I'm not a big fan of drum machines, as I prefer all elements of live music to be... live. Do what works for you. I bet there's drum machine apps available on smart devices. Ric
Old 08-16-2015, 08:24 PM

I use one all the time. The Boss DR3. It has tons of variations, 6 per pattern, along with 6 different fills, along with start and finishes. It is controlled by a footswitch which can do a lot of things depending on how you set it up, I use mine to stop/start and to progress through variations. It runs on batteries or mains. I do not program it. I use the presets.

It has a bass line for each beat. You can press a button which eliminates the bass line. I play with it. Its like having a 3 man group. It also has percussion. Its a PITA to program but I hate programming drum loops anyhow, they presets are designed by pro drummers. When I play, there is so much variation in the drum lines that I sound like a band, not like a robot.

The beat buddy is worth checking out as well. If I didn't like having a bass line so much I would have bought the beat buddy.

Cheers
Old 08-16-2015, 09:10 PM

You probably want to decide how detailed you want a drum machine to be. If you don't want to program one, the Boss DR3 (as was mentioned) is great for solo musicians since it has the intro/verse/fill/chorus built into it. I'm convinced Roland/Boss took the concept of the DR 3 from their Arranger keyboard line. But after reading through the manual I agree it's a pain to try and program it. The next step up is of course the Boss DR880, you can add extra foot switches to change between parts. Be prepared to spend time learning the ins and outs with it.

If you want to spend less money then you can probably pick up an Alesis SR 16 on your local Craigslist. It also has the ability to switch between two parts via a footswitch. There is the Alesis SR 18, but I've not played around with it. Zoom and Korg both make drum machines.

There are plenty of apps for IOS and Android if you want to use a tablet or smart phone to provide a rhythm pattern to play along with.

And as it was mentioned the BeatBuddy is a drum machine pedal designed for musicians. I personally am actually looking into purchasing this device to go along with my other gear.

I've went the full circle of drum machines, real drummers, arranger keyboards, computer setups etc...... So you can go as nutty as you wish. You just have to decide what you are looking to do and how much time you want to put into learning it and integrating it into your system.

Either way I will say run any of them through a full range powered speaker, keyboard amp or a PA System to get the best sound.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:08 PM

I use one at wedding receptions when people want to dance. I use the built-in drums of the Boss RC-50 looper in my pedal chain straight to my Bose L2 or A&H mixer to powered JBL's. I also have a Boss DR-880 but the RC50 is so much simpler and already synced with the looper.
Buscarino Starlight nylon, Martin 000C-RGTE, Godin nylon duet ambiance, Breedlove Bossa Nova, cedar/EIR, Breedlove SC-20, cedar/walnut, Ovation Nylon LX1773, CA Cargo, CA GX, Larrivee 00-03, sitka/hog
Old 08-17-2015, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
Sorry, but I have a horrible dislike for drum machines. Why would you want to deprive your music of any nuance? Get or build a stomp. Strap a tambourine on the other foot. Play with a percussionist. Anything but a machine.
Thank you. I really don't like to hear a computer 'perform' for me when "live music" is what I was sold/expecting, and especially when the act will very likely be better without it. As for your question, I use a (foot-powered) Meinl FX pedal with a number of different percussive sounds in it, but there are lots of options out there.

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 08-18-2015, 09:57 AM

I use a kat percussion pad with a looper and create my stuff on the fly.

Old 10-01-2017, 02:52 PM

How are you doing?
I was hoping that you could help me out. I am a 60 year old (geezer), that plays 3-4 solo gigs in NY every week. I have/had been using an Alesis SR 16 for 5 years, or so. Not very good, you know? I only used about 5 beats..because I can't get the knack of programming it. I got a BeatBuddy LAST WEEK..and it's too darn complicated.
Davis, I do about 80 songs a night, I guess..ranging from Sinatra, Bobby Darin, 50s, ALL Beatles, ..60s, 70s, 80s, even throw in some Green Day, etc. Will the DR-3 ..with it's 100 user beats...do the job? Is it true, that you can have 3 or so different parts to EACH pattern? Boy, I think that'd be great!
Thank you very much for your time.
Respectfully yours,
Tommy
Old 10-01-2017, 07:20 PM

Check out the Beat Buddy! It's a pedal with beats that's great for live work. Press the pedal to trigger a fill, or press it again to change the beat during a chorus or bridge. Look on you tube - I have one and love it
Old 10-01-2017, 07:32 PM

Hey Tommy,
Since I started this thread nearly two years ago, about a month back I bought a Beatbuddy, coming from an SR16. The Beatbuddy has been a bit of a challenge, but mostly with the Beatbuddy Manager software, which is really the key to getting new patterns into it. There is a Beatbuddy forum which has been helpful for me reading through some of the threads and picking up a few tips here and there. I think if you can stick with it, it will eventually put a smile on your face.
http://forum.mybeatbuddy.com/index.php

If you're a 'geezer' at 60, I'm not sure what I am at 69
Old 10-01-2017, 10:58 PM

Default HOWDY, Mark!

Mark,
I already put my BeatBudy...along with the footswitch, MIDI cable...everything that came with it...up on eBAY. I downloaded the BBManager, etc, etc. I couldn't understand it...and I did not feel like TRYING to "get it". I ordered a new Boss DR-3 and a footswitch for it. I know that the BB is superior in every way...but I just don't have the patience. I actually did join the BB Forum about 3-4 days ago.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification