The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-23-2018, 04:11 PM

Default Taylor T5 / T5z questions

I'm heavily considering a T5 or T5z and have a few questions. I would really appreciate any advice.

1. I would mainly be using it for acoustic rhythm playing (chords). I assume I would be more comfortable with the T5. They say the T5z neck is more like an electric. Would the electric neck be harder for me for acoustic chords?

2. Any recommended Taylor dealers? For the T5, only a handful of the bigger sites list them. The T5z seems to be a little more available, but not much. I've use Maury for Martin purchased. Was looking for a similar experience.

3. Anybody ever buy used from Guitar Center's site? Any thoughts? I've never bought a used guitar, much less one I can't see first.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

One advantage of Guitar Center is that you can return it to your local GC if you don’t care for it no matter which location you ordered it from.
National Polychrome Tricone
National Model D Squareneck
Weber Gallatin A Mandolin

http://www.bandmix.com/jon-nilsen/
https://www.bandmix.com/limberlost/
Old 10-23-2018, 04:53 PM

Default Taylor T5 / T5z questions

The T5z is a GREAT guitar! It has an electric style neck and 1 11/16 nut based on a Les Paul styled body. If you can play chords on any electric guitar you can play them on a T5z. The 5 way switch in combination with the tone controls allow an incredible amount of available tones. Personally I can go from any of my acoustics (1 3/4 nut) to the T5z with no problem. Although it does a decent job acoustically it is NOT a replacement for an acoustic. I’m guessing you’ve figured out that I love the guitar.

You should contact our sponsors when you are ready to buy - their pricing can’t be beat. If not I’ve had good luck with MF and their 15% off sales promotions.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 10-23-2018, 06:53 PM

I HAD one, truly decked Taylor Road show ltd ed. but it just didn't do it for me.
Now I have nothing against Taylor, as I'm looking at my 2016 214c & 2018 814ce.

It doesn't have a true Piezo pick-up so I found it limited. Bought a Michael Kelly Ltd Ed. 10th Anniversary Special Hybrid. All Michael Kelly hybrid Love it.
Old 10-23-2018, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT55 View Post
The T5z is a GREAT guitar! It has an electric style neck and 1 11/16 nut based on a Les Paul styled body. If you can play chords on any electric guitar you can play them on a T5z. The 5 way switch in combination with the tone controls allow an incredible amount of available tones. Personally I can go from any of my acoustics (1 3/4 nut) to the T5z with no problem. Although it does a decent job acoustically it is NOT a replacement for an acoustic. I’m guessing you’ve figured out that I love the guitar.

You should contact our sponsors when you are ready to buy - their pricing can’t be beat. If not I’ve had good luck with MF and their 15% off sales promotions.
I agree. I had a T5z classic mahogany. Versatile guitar. It could easily serve as a gigging tool. Especially in bars.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:14 PM
Charter Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruser View Post
I'm heavily considering a T5 or T5z and have a few questions. I would really appreciate any advice.

1. I would mainly be using it for acoustic rhythm playing (chords). I assume I would be more comfortable with the T5. They say the T5z neck is more like an electric. Would the electric neck be harder for me for acoustic chords?

2. Any recommended Taylor dealers? For the T5, only a handful of the bigger sites list them. The T5z seems to be a little more available, but not much. I've use Maury for Martin purchased. Was looking for a similar experience.

3. Anybody ever buy used from Guitar Center's site? Any thoughts? I've never bought a used guitar, much less one I can't see first.
I owned a T-5 since they were made... until last year... sold it because I just wasn't using it hardly, and it was too sweet a guitar to be a "case queen"... so I know a bit about these...

I've often said that the T-5 might be the most misunderstood guitar ever made... Taylor tried to market it as a "Swiss Army Knife" type of deal; one guitar that covered both bases, acoustic and electric... and it didn't do that.

Purists were dismayed at the "plugged-in" acoustic tone, similar to the many rants and raves about Taylor's ES-1 pickup system. I do believe it would make an excellent acoustic rhythm guitar, however.

Electric players mostly didn't take the time to fully understand how to use the Rupert Neve co-designed electronics, either. Once I understood how the things worked, I could get a LOT of wonderful, different electric guitar tones from it... tends to feedback at high sound pressure levels or loud near your amp...

I'd definitely buy one used... they've changed the electronics slightly since the initial runs of the model. My early version had a mini-humbucker, buried in the fretboard/neck, a lipstick-tube stacked humbucker in the bridge AND a body sensor inside the guitar. 5 position switch; #1 gives the "best" acoustic tone, I think - combining the fretboard pickup with that body sensor.

The things are a breeze to play, very accurate necks with a slim carve to them... and they weigh <5#s!!! So light and comfortable on your shoulder, probably half the weight of my Gibson ES-345. The fit and finish is pure Taylor - very, very clean and well-done.

You can pay more dough for the "fancier" models, but all it is is cosmetic. I had a nice maple-top that was a cool color called Red Edgeburst (which they no longer offer). For me, the unplugged sound was lovely - a very quiet, small voice, but very balanced and even - the kind of guitar that you could play, standing a corner or facing a wall and hear it very well. For that aspect, I always wished I had just gone for the Standard model with the spruce top, as they sound the best, unplugged.

Get a fancy Custom T-5 if you want, but you pay a lot more for gold tuners, slightly different position markers and a little cool looking top... the rest of the guitar is consistent, model to model.

I sold mine in trade for $1400... it was perfect, but I think I got more than most folks get... you can find a very clean T-5 for somewhere around $1100 or $1200, I think.

One last thing - these guitars are a short scale, like Gibsons, so whatever strings you put on them will play "slightly" lighter. I didn't use mine for acoustic sounds, as I have acoustic guitars for that... but if I were going to use it for acoustic rhythm, I would certainly string it with 12's, possibly 13's; the action is so nice and low that even heavier strings will play like a dream!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 10-24-2018, 06:00 AM

I gigged with a T5z for a few years. I think my previous A6 Ultra had a better "acoustic" tone, but the electric bridge PU of the T5z sealed the deal as I eBay'ed the A6.

However, if you use the T5z like a real electric guitar, switching pickups constantly and adjusting volume, the switch and POTs are fragile and a major pain-in-the-butt. Taylor's warranty on the electronics is relatively short.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=401790
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 10-24-2018 at 09:23 AM.
Old 10-24-2018, 06:46 AM

Try it first. Looking at the specs, I thought it might be a good choice. Then I tried one. I seldom say this, but it was a truly awful guitar, especially the electronics. Others love them, go figure.
Old 10-25-2018, 12:30 PM

Thanks for all of the responses. Seems like here, and older threads, a lot of people don't like the acoustic tones of a T5. Considering a used Crowdster instead, but that price....

Also thought about a Godin A6 Ultra, but not a fan of the looks.
Old 10-25-2018, 01:07 PM

I had a know Custom. Very nice guitar. The T3 fit my needs better. If they ever released a hollow T3 or T5 with humbuckers, it would be perfect for me. I may look at a T5 12 string at some point.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:19 PM

Ended up getting a used Crowdster. I love it.

Thanks for all the responses in this thread and the PM's.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:11 AM

I'm talked out of it. Now for a great acoustic

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion