The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-21-2018, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

Default Martin D-1 Authentic 1931

I played one of these the other day and was totally blown away. It’s the original 12-fret precursor to the D-18. I hardly see anything about them online. Anybody here care to share their experiences with this stunner? Huge lush tone, almost rosewood sounding, with monster volume. Light as a father. I can’t stop thinking about it!
Old 10-21-2018, 06:42 PM

I saw one on Saturday and totally agree. My friend, a salesman, took me into the stockroom and was opening a few new receipts to show me. I just played it for a second but unbelievable how light it was. They had also just received a sinker D-18 that is an edition of 25. I am going back later in the week to play them again (not sure why, I don't think my wife would authorize a purchase). There were both outstanding though.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

Totally awesome guitar. Maybe you can post your impressions here once you take it for a drive this week. Those sinkers are intriguing, for sure, but that D-1 is just killer. Hoping Martin keeps producing them long enough for me to save up for one!
Old 10-22-2018, 10:20 AM

We never got into any price discussions, but I went on the internet and found a D-1. I was surprised that it was so pricey. It sure isn't fancy looking, but is really loud and light. I have a custom shop D-18 that the manager of the store had built on a Martin trip. It is kind of like the re-imagined D-18s (forwarded shifted with the performance neck) but with upgraded Adirondack and Mahogany. It will be interesting to compare the 3 of them.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

The D-1 is part of Martin's Authentic line, which is their highest level (priciest) instrument line. Of the Authentic series guitars, though, the D-1 is among the least expensive--kind of amazing given that the fret board and bridge are of Brazilian rosewood. It's a near exact copy of Martin's first ever dreadnought--the D-1--precursor to what would become the D-18. They just killed the D-28A 1931 from the line (the rosewood brother to the D-1) which makes me nervous the D-1 is next. Would be a real shame to see this feather-light ebony truss rod 12-fretter discontinued.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopeda View Post
They just killed the D-28A 1931 from the line (the rosewood brother to the D-1) which makes me nervous the D-1 is next. Would be a real shame to see this feather-light ebony truss rod 12-fretter discontinued.
I owned a D-28A 1931, talk about a beast!
It was an incredible instrument that I would still have, but someone wanted it badly, and traded me a '50 J-45 (one of my dream guitars) for it.
The Adi was especially nice and the Madi was straight grained and very plain.

Martin produced just over 200 of this model per/Martin Customer Service.

The D-1's I've played, two, are just as incredible.
LOUD, oozing with tone, and light as a cracker considering the size of these beasts!

As great as these guitars are, IMO, the market is relatively small for them.
I think the 1 7/8" neck scares people away, but I managed just fine considering I have small hands.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:53 PM
Charter Member

Very much my kind of guitar.

A far better design that the later 14 fret skinny neck dreadnought.

I haven't played one of these, nor the D28 '31 Authentic, but I did play the Ditson 111.

The decent sized fretboard is the main attraction, although the overall design with the superior slotted headstock, and better placed bridge are also beneficial.

However I have these so really don't need another dread

Old 10-23-2018, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the post. It really is a comfortable neck. I think I could get used to the wider nut. How did your Collings compare to the Ditson 111?
Old 10-23-2018, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopeda View Post
Thanks for the post. It really is a comfortable neck. I think I could get used to the wider nut. How did your Collings compare to the Ditson 111?
Hi, I was contemplating trading in my least loved Collings ..... I came home with the Collings.
Old 10-23-2018, 03:32 PM
Charter Member

They are similar to the Ditson 111 and 333 models that Martin did a while back and also a bit like the Martin D-28 1931 Authentic. Killer guitars tonally. For me the 1 7/8" nut width is hard to get used to. Great sounding instruments though, super big full and round!!

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 10-23-2018, 08:05 PM
Charter Member

I definitely have preferences, but I also view a guitar like this as something that one must work to master. To deserve the tone, one must learn to play the neck configuration. I’ve very much been someone who examines every feature and has a bunch of preferences from neck profile to string spacing. But there’s a lot to be said for a guitar that says, “here I am. Now learn how to play me.” The D-1 is my own little Everest.
Old 10-24-2018, 07:52 PM
Charter Member

Any more new reviews to share?
Old 10-24-2018, 09:54 PM
Charter Member

I agree this design is a great one. I much prefer it to the later 14 fret dreadnought. Gorgeous, balanced, and light.
Old 10-26-2018, 01:04 PM

I took my D18 and travelled down to my local guitar store to compare mine to the D1 Authentic and the D18 sinker mahogany. I played mine while he went to get the others. The D1 was first. I think that your original impression and descriptions are good ones. It is light as a feather and very loud. I think maybe almost too much on the bottom end for me. I admit that I did not play it for long because I can not handle the neck. I have small hands and my other guitars all have necks closer the the Martin modified low oval/pa taper. I have had several 12 fret guitars and like them, not sure where they went as I have none now. It is also pretty pricey, about $7k retail I believe.

I really liked the sinker mahogany D18. It is a custom shop limited edition of 25. Sitka top, I didn't ask if it was their aged version or not. Mine is also a custom shop D18 with an Adirondack top, forward braced. The sinker guitar had the same neck as mine and I assume forward braced although I did not ask. Mine was ordered by the former store guitar manager. I really like mine and was not really in the market for something unless it totally blew me away, but the two guitars were really pretty similar. My sales guy said that he thought that the sinker mahogany adds more depth to the sound and I think that is right. The sinker guitar just sounded a tad richer than mine I think. I was putting my guitar away while the salesman played the sinker guitar. Another sales person came up and we chatted briefly. He asked if he could play mine and it would have been hard to pick a winner between the two. So I went home with my old guitar which made my wife very happy. The retail on the sinker guitar was $5k.

Last edited by Jeff Mc; 10-27-2018 at 07:54 AM.
Old 10-26-2018, 05:48 PM

OP, I would not bank on the idea of Martin producing these for any extended length of time - Sinker Mahogany is a limited resource. That said my 0000 Sinker competes with my much-more-expensive rosewood Martins as my best guitar. Sinker doesn't sound like normal mahogany; there's a distinct tonal difference. More complex, to make it simple.

I'd beg, borrow, and well, borrow some more to get one if that's what moves you!

A quick story: Mark Smith works in Martin's custom shop as a wood picker. My 00-30 spec sheet specifies that "all woods selected by Mark Smith". So when we went through the Behind the Scenes Martin factory tour, we happened to run into Mark. I mentioned my 00-30, suspecting he'd not recall anything specific. He shocked me by talking about it in length and how they wanted to produce a really special run (of 7) instruments. And it is.

So I asked him about what knocks him out right now, and he specified the D-1. At the time I was unaware of the sinker mahogany, and a bit disappointed. I thought rosewood was the be-all, end-all. I was truly ignorant.

GO for it, sir!

Martin Custom Authentic 000-28 1937

Martin 1944 00-18

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion