The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-03-2017, 04:28 PM

Default JBL EON ONE Pro

Hey all,

Been a long-time member and I love the forum; always good info by a good group of folks

I don't post much, but in the case of the brand new JBL EON ONE Pro I felt compelled to do so. Short background: I've been playing solo for almost 15 years, 2-3 steady gigs a week in St Louis and vicinity, and I've had everything from Fishmans of many varieties, a Schertler Unico (which I still love and use in my studio and often for small gigs), a Bose L1 w/sub, and for many years since they came out, the Bose Compact (which I use with the T1 mixer - I outfitted the little holder that Bose has for the L1 onto the back of the Compact tower).

Anyway, I bought the original JBL EON ONE linear PA when it came out; very compact, everything in one easy carrying ensemble (aren't we always looking for an easier load-in and out, albeit with great sound?). However, I didn't care for the sound - it didn't sound full and the bass was lacking, and it didn't have the "horsepower" to fill a small-to-medium room in my opinion. It didn't come close to the power or the sound of the Bose Compact so after trying it in multiple settings over a couple of weeks, I sent it back.

Most of you probably know that JBL just came out with a new version called the EON ONE Pro and I was so hopeful it would be an improvement I got on a waiting list for one a while back. In their pre-release news JBL stated that they realized the shortcomings of the original linear EON ONE and added channels to the powered mixer, redesigned the unit (lighter and easier to carry), and added Bluetooth. Also the original was a real pain to disassemble; you really had to work on the spacer columns to pull them apart. They were aware and fixing it.

I've got to state again that I was really hopeful that this would be "The One" lol. I love the Bose Compact but if somebody comes out with something easier to carry (all in one) with a great sound, Bluetooth, built in mixer, etc, well heck, I was all for it.

Anyway, after trying it once again at a couple of my regular gigs, the sound and power are still an issue at least to me and friends who come to my shows. All of the other improvements are wonderful. They really are - lighter, easier to carry, sticks come apart easier, Bluetooth is great as is the expanded PA. However, not only was the sound lacking in a smaller room but after more folks started popping in (maybe 30-40 at most), I had this thing cranked almost to the max. It was hot to the touch. Bear in mind, I'm a solo singer/player, not shredding (or running backgrounds) through it. Plus my buddy who I share gigs with came by and he was disappointed as well. When the room volume went up, I had no overhead.

I sent it back today and sure disliked having to do it. I guess one could say that I'm just used to the Bose sound, but when the JBL was nearly maxed out and very hot - in a smaller setting, I knew it was more than that unfortunately.

Apologies if I went on a bit, but this was something I thought worth sharing.

Thanks!

Steve-R
Old 10-03-2017, 06:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-R View Post
Hey all,

Been a long-time member and I love the forum; always good info by a good group of folks ...
True dat.

If there's a moderator in the house, it might make sense if possible to join this to the similarly named thread below, which as some of you know followed a previous thread closed out at 400!

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=484415

Very informative comments, Steve, and it's very troubling that you're getting the same hyper-heat deal described by dragonfly IIRC below. This is the kind of thing I don't understand--how can a major company let that kind of thing slip through production?

I'm a little surprised to hear the Bose L1 Compact does a better job of filling a room than the Eon One and I guess the Pro as well, though perhaps this is something that I missed since I started to pay a little bit less attention when the SA330x zoomed to the top of my list.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:54 PM

Thanks for the heads up, Steve.

You can also read these threads
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=465577
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=484415
Old 10-04-2017, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-R View Post
I bought the original JBL EON ONE linear PA when it came out...didn't care for the sound - it didn't sound full and the bass was lacking, and it didn't have the "horsepower" to fill a small-to-medium room in my opinion. It didn't come close to the power or the sound of the Bose Compact...
I just recently changed over to using an Eon One and still owning an L1 Model II think the JBL does very well as long as you boost the signal going into the anemic gain structure. Had one night early on where I had the channel and master both dimed as was barely loud enough but since using either a mixer, Boss VE-8 or Digitech Vocalist, it would be impossible for me to set the same levels again.

You may not want to try the original Eon One again, but if you do, place anything in between the mic and channel that will give you a proper signal going in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
I'm a little surprised to hear the Bose L1 Compact does a better job of filling a room than the Eon One and I guess the Pro as well...
I chose the Eon One over the Compact due to two things that I kept seeing in reviews; that the Eon One had more output and a better, more natural midrange.

As noted by many users, the Eon One (and now its inappropriately named 'Pro' version) needs some signal boost, whether by using a mixer or any appropriate device.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 10-05-2017, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
True dat.

If there's a moderator in the house, it might make sense if possible to join this to the similarly named thread below, which as some of you know followed a previous thread closed out at 400!
Actually I'm rather happy to see a fresh thread, even if its about the same product. The other thread has been spinning into an HK Product review as an alternative to the JBL Eon One Pro. (Which is comparison and contrast, but its nice to see a fresh thread on the topic. Just my opinion. No offense intended.

I submit the notion this thread stands on its own merit.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 10-05-2017, 10:24 AM

Nama Ensou, is correct in that if you give it a hot signal you'll have more headroom with the One and One Pro.

The heat from the mixer on the One Pro is crazy hot any time it is plugged in. While on battery it get's warm, but not hot. When plugged in it gets so hot you would not be able to hold your hand on the mixer for long. Heat is definitely an issue when it comes to electronics so I'd be worried about the longevity of the One Pro.

So much to like though, easier tower pieces, the 4 combo inputs, the battery, hi-z, phantom power, with equal amounts of dislike for them not fixing the mixer gain, the inordinate amount of heat from mixer when plugged in, the still mushy bass.

@Steve-R, I know how you felt having to return it. I sold my One in anticipation of the One Pro and was disappointed when I finally got it.
Old 10-05-2017, 12:32 PM

Hey Steve. I'm also in the St. Louis area. I live in Edwardsville and play around the area.

I recently bought the LD Maui G2 and am very happy with it. I do a lot of solo acoustic jobs and also do some duo and trio acoustic jobs. I've been very happy with it.

2010 Taylor 814ce
2008 Taylor 816ce
2008 Taylor 426ce LTD (Tasmanian blackwood)

LR Baggs Venue
Ditto X2 Looper
TC Helicon H1 Harmony Pedal
Allen & Heath ZED 10FX
LD Systems Maui 11 G2
Galaxy PA6BT Monitor
iPad with OnSong
JBL EON ONE Compact (typically only used as a backup)

My Facebook Music Page
My YouTube Page
Old 10-05-2017, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratcat77 View Post
Hey Steve. I'm also in the St. Louis area. I live in Edwardsville and play around the area.

I recently bought the LD Maui G2 and am very happy with it. I do a lot of solo acoustic jobs and also do some duo and trio acoustic jobs. I've been very happy with it.
Which one? 11 or 28?
Old 10-05-2017, 07:21 PM

Maui G1 11.

2010 Taylor 814ce
2008 Taylor 816ce
2008 Taylor 426ce LTD (Tasmanian blackwood)

LR Baggs Venue
Ditto X2 Looper
TC Helicon H1 Harmony Pedal
Allen & Heath ZED 10FX
LD Systems Maui 11 G2
Galaxy PA6BT Monitor
iPad with OnSong
JBL EON ONE Compact (typically only used as a backup)

My Facebook Music Page
My YouTube Page
Old 10-06-2017, 08:52 AM

Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fBqqGj-NPc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOS3L1RXGUk

I sent message this guy and he said "Yes the unit works flawlessly. I took it to a park and in 5 minutes made $20. You’ll love it. "
Old 11-04-2018, 09:02 PM
Charter Member

Was thinking about snagging one of the JBLs since Sweetwater is blowing out their B-stocks at $499, but after reading this, I think I'll stick with either Bose or QSC.
Old 11-05-2018, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayfair View Post
Was thinking about snagging one of the JBLs since Sweetwater is blowing out their B-stocks at $499, but after reading this, I think I'll stick with either Bose or QSC.
Having paid $700 for mine I think the Sweetwater deal sounds pretty good. Still have my Bose L1 MII but using the Eon One for all my acoustic gigs.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification