The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-04-2017, 05:45 AM

Default Taylor GS-mini low E pickup issue?

Hi, My low E sounds very quiet compared to all the other strings when I plug in. I've tried it through 3 amps with the same result. Acoustically it's fine. I guess it must be the pickup come loose or something? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:35 AM

Under saddle pickups if not fitted properly can get dead or muffled effects.

Relax the strings and first be sure that you can ‘easily’ remove the saddle and replace it. If you can not then check to see where it is getting hung up at an then assess if this is a shift in the structural integrity of the top or simply perhaps a too fat saddle.

If you feel that something is changing with the top, get it to a Taylor repair facility fast.

Otherwise light sanding of the saddle to free up to binding should help.

If on the other hand, it’s not binding, the issue is a slight deformity in the bottom of the bridge slot.

If that’s the case then placing thin materials under the pickup wherever you feel that you are loosing signal, will likely fix it.

Just be very sparing with your material because too thick and you will shift the issue to other strings.

My site: Personal Blog

Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E.
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 10-04-2017, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

It's important to ask if you have the ES2 system or the older ES-T, which was an under saddle piezo. If you have the ES2 be very careful pulling that saddle out or you will be readjusting the pickups. Also, the saddle height will have little effect on the output since as I understand it the ES2 pickups make contact with the side of the saddle as opposed to the underneath part.

If you're not sure, the ES2 will have the little hex adjusting screws on the top of the bridge.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRW1 View Post
It's important to ask if you have the ES2 system or the older ES-T, which was an under saddle piezo. If you have the ES2 be very careful pulling that saddle out or you will be readjusting the pickups. Also, the saddle height will have little effect on the output since as I understand it the ES2 pickups make contact with the side of the saddle as opposed to the underneath part.

If you're not sure, the ES2 will have the little hex adjusting screws on the top of the bridge.
I'd take it a step further and suggest you not remove the saddle if you have an ES-2, but try the adjustments first.

Here's a link to Taylor's information on the ES-2
Taylor GS Mini-e Spruce/Rosewood
Waterloo WL-S
Wechter TO-8418

Cordoba 24T tenor ukulele
Kanile'a Islander MST-4 tenor ukulele
Kiwaya KTC-1 concert ukulele
Kolohe concert ukulele
Mainland Mahogany soprano ukulele
Ohana SK-28 soprano ukulele
Brüko No. 6 soprano ukulele
Old 10-04-2017, 09:57 AM

My GS mini came with the ES-Go, a magnetic sound hole pickup. Nothing under the saddle.
Old 10-05-2017, 04:13 AM

Many thanks for the guidance everyone. Body integrity looks ok and it looks like I have the older ES-T system. I'll do some further tentative investigation tonight. Thanks again.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification